Official P&b Cycling Thread

2 hours ago, printer said:

Great effort, mate.

The time, not beating old Chris B.

Thanks, Chris was just pissing about getting selfies with folk anyway.  Amazing how much your speed benefits from being in a big group.

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Unleash The Nade said:

Recently changed my road tyres from 23's to 25's and can't believe the difference it's made to both my bike handling and comfort 

Same. 23s never gave me same confidence in traffic and rain as 25s. Better for the pothole and rutted roads in Scotland.  

Recently changed my road tyres from 23's to 25's and can't believe the difference it's made to both my bike handling and comfort 

I changed from 23s to 25s last year after buying a new set of wheels (from Wheelsmith).

Much prefer them.

Anyone here used a cycle holiday company called Skedaddle before?

I'm off with them on Sunday , cycling across Scotland coast to coast all off-road

Being a " roadie" I just looked at the mileage which is 245 miles in 5 days and thought "easy", but I'm now getting a bit aprehensive as there's over 18,000 feet of climbing and someone told me a mile on a road bike is equivalent to 3 on a mtb !!

Good choice of wheel builder 
He does a good job 

Indeed. I was going to upgrade to Mavics and friend mentioned him. Didn't even know of him, but being on Larbert very convenient.

Doing a portion of the South Downs way tomorrow, start off in Winchester and instead of going all the way down to Eastbourne, will cut off at Hassocks and go home. Not quite sure on the mileage, around 80 or so I think. 

Have done the full route once, that was last summer and I burnt like f**k. Meant to be nice again tomorrow, so will take a bit more care this time.

Did anyone do the Edinburgh Night Ride last night? I only decided to do it at about 4pm yesterday and while my time was rubbish I was happier with some of my climbs.

There was a big crash heading down into Portobello, hope the guys involved are ok.

Just finished my coast to coast mountain bike ride across scotland

Unfortunately due to some adverse weather condition at the start we had to cut the route a bit but still did just over 200 miles and over 14,500 feet of climbing of which 85% was off roaf

To be honest , being a "roadie" I and looking at the mileage for a 6 day trip , I thought it would be a dawdle, but couldn't have been more wrong . It was some of the hardest cycling I've ever done and was totally out of my comfort zone on many of the climbs and descents over extremely rough terrain.

I've now totally changed my opinions  mountain biking as I loved every second of it and am hooked.

if anyone's thinking about booking a trip with the company I used ( Skedaddle) I couldn't recommend them highly enough 

43 minutes ago, locheedfcno1 said:

Just got myself a bike through cycle to work scheme. First time I cycled to work I was fuked. Def need a better seat. Best to buy a cheap decent one?

Stick with it mate , you'll get used to it, just make sure it's at the right height and angle for your , which you can easily get guidance on from many Internet forums

Imo best invest in a good pair of padded shorts ( they don't need to be tight Lycra ones)