Official P&b Cycling Thread

40 minutes ago, Benjamin_Nevis said:

Anyone on the Kinross Sportive today? Fucking hell it was cold. Pretty decent route with only a 10 mile section of mental, raging drivers to deal with. Also kudos to the organisers for god-tier level trolling by sticking a food stop rammed with cream/fudge donuts and macaroni pies at the bottom of the climb up over Dunning Common. The descent was baltic and the last 10 miles into a headwind were monumentally shite. Cracking event though and will probably do it again next year. 

I didn't do it but loads came through on my Strava feed, including the black route 'joint winners'.  Most of them said how cold it was.  I did a couple of hours on Zwift. 🙄

Which route did you do?

1 hour ago, Gnash said:

I didn't do it but loads came through on my Strava feed, including the black route 'joint winners'.  Most of them said how cold it was.  I did a couple of hours on Zwift. 🙄

Which route did you do?

Just the red. Hardly been out this year. Just as well as I was shit in the second climb and genuinely wanted to sack it during the final 10 miles of headwind/fucking awful road surfaces combo. 

Hopefully fitter for Caledonia in a fortnight 😂

With the Giro starting today it got me thinking about the Tour and the current unrest in France, the last live stage I was at back 2018 was disrupted by French farmers pushing hay bales onto the road. I really feel this Tour could be a easy target, any mountain Cat 1 or HC can easily be stopped with very few people protesting, hopefully I am wrong.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey,

I've been thinking about my cycling goals for the year ahead. Last year I managed three events and the training around them but for 2024 I would love to do more longer distance rides and quote fancy doing some audax rides along with the usual sportives.

Does anyone do audax or has done in the past? 

Anyone got any tips or advice or do I just sign up and get on with it? 

• 3 weeks later...

We are currently averaging around 1 post per quarter here on the "Official P&B Cycling Thread" ....a quick look on search putting in "cyclists" tends to bring up more posts on "Scottish Infrastructure" and surprise surprise "C***ts on the Road"

Saw the running thread up and running again so I thought I would get this back on page one.

@The_Craig  i did a good few AUDAX in the past.  Think I did "Snow Roads" about three times - this is 300km going over the roads in Scotland that are usually first to close due to snow.  It was run by a group in Kirriemuir for a few years - starting and finishing in the village.  Over Cairn O' Mount, Cabrach, The Lecht, Gairnshiel and Glenshee.  Stunning route and prety tough.  I first did it after seeing Dougie Vipond really struggle on the Adventure Show.  I think the route is a "perm" and if not an official event anymore it can be done at any time.

I also did the UK National 400km in 2015 - started and finished in Dingwall and took you up to NW coast, North coast then down east coast - very hilly but again very scenic.  Set off at 10am on the Sat and think I got back in 11th (out of 111) at 6.30am.  It ended up being 425km due to a road closure.

Just all about signing up for an event and getting serious miles in - there are usually plenty organised century rides in Scotland if you cant do them on your own. I tended to do all my training solo - geting up really early on a saturday morning and putting in the miles - somtimes for variety I would get a train to Dundee or Inverness and return to Aberdeenshire over the hills.

Done very little cycling last few years as I think I overdid it a few years ago when I was training for AUDAX, sportifs in France and then Ironman - it was affecting my golf.

After a slow start to my winter Zwift regime I am getting back into that. I have noticed quite a drop off in the watts that I am achieving but not sure just yet if thats because I am not as fit at this time of year as usual or its an age thing (bus pass in a few months)

On 23/04/2023 at 09:21, Hedgecutter said:

I went on a bike for the first time in a decade on Thursday (e-bike for a couple of hours), and my inner arsecheeks are still sore (almost bruised) from the saddle three days on.  Same happens in the rare case I use an exercise bike, which is why I actively avoid them now.

Is this something that cyclists build up a resistance to (building up normally underused muscles or something)?  I couldn't wait to get off the thing for the final mile or two of just a five mile trip.  Saddle seemed a fine height and squidgy enough I thought 🙁.

Haven't read other responses and an obviously very late to this, but here's my tuppence.

Depending on where the bruising is it could be that the saddle isn't the right width. The pressure should be on your sit bones. There's also saddle height and angle. Your seatpost should be just high enough for you to fully extend your leg on the pedal (with your heel on the pedal) with a slight break on the knee. If your seatpost is too low then you put extra weight and pressure on your bahook. If the nose of the saddle is pointed up this will increase pressure too. 

Anyway, I hope you got it sorted. 

If the saddle that came with your bike is giving you grief, then I highly recommend buying one of these saddles. Very comfortable and lightwieght for the price. They often go down to £15.

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Charge-Spoon-Cromo-Saddle_65215.htm?variations=colour:Black/Green

Edited by Sherrif John Bunnell

36 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

If the saddle that came with your bike is giving you grief, then I highly recommend buying one of these saddles. Very comfortable and lightwieght for the price. They often go down to £15.

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Charge-Spoon-Cromo-Saddle_65215.htm?variations=colour:Black/Green

I’ve had a few Spoons because they’re cheap and they’re good. They take 50-60 miles to get my arse broken into them but maybe I’ve got a funny shaped arse. 

ETA - the most comfortable saddle I ever had was a women’s Specialized Body Geometry one that I bought for the Mrs and then nicked so maybe I do have a funny shaped arse. 

Edited by carpetmonster