Official P&b Cycling Thread

7 hours ago, supermik said:

As someone more knowledgeable than me once said: If you want to talk to your friend, pull into a lay-by. If you want to talk to god then cycle two abreast..

It's cool, we've already got simple-minded trolling covered by our fat friend from #perthshire

A question for all you technical guys out there.

I’m doing the North Coast 500 later this year which will total 525 miles and 34,100 feet of climbing over six and a half days .

Im order to give my legs a wee bit of respite , I was thinking of changing my rear cassette on the bike I’m taking 

I currently have an Ultegra 11/28 cassette with a compact 50/34 chain set and was going to change to a 12/30 cassette 

I don’t want to change chain rings or rear deralier etc.

Is this doeable ?.. does anyone currently have this set up ?

Thanks in advance 

34 minutes ago, Unleash The Nade said:

I’m doing the North Coast 500 later this year which will total 525 miles and 34,100 feet of climbing over six and a half days .

Im order to give my legs a wee bit of respite , I was thinking of changing my rear cassette on the bike I’m taking 

I currently have an Ultegra 11/28 cassette with a compact 50/34 chain set and was going to change to a 12/30 cassette 

Thanks in advance 

Just done some checking up on this and don’t think I can do it unless I change to a longer derallieur :(

Edited by Unleash The Nade

On 09/05/2018 at 14:07, Dindeleux said:

Yeh the feet clip-ins are great but you will have a couple of embarrassing moments.  Especially when trying to push off uphill.

Apologies for the naive question, I'm not half as committed as you guys judging by your exploits, but a lot older by the sound of it :lol:

Are we talking about cleats here? Or toe-clips? Are toe-clips a thing of the past?

1 hour ago, The Mantis said:

Apologies for the naive question, I'm not half as committed as you guys judging by your exploits, but a lot older by the sound of it :lol:

Are we talking about cleats here? Or toe-clips? Are toe-clips a thing of the past?

Cleats

Theyre referred to as “clipless” which is a bit confusing 

17 minutes ago, The Mantis said:

OK can the guy not get toeclips if he's not confident then?

I'd recommend cleats over toe clips for someone who is not used to either.  After 2 or 3 rides, clipping in and out will become second nature, and it's easier to do than toe clips.

18 hours ago, Unleash The Nade said:

Thanks in advance 

Not sure of the details but I believe you can fit a 46/30 crank?  Might be worth investigating?

Edit - My Roubaix has 11 speed Ultegra 11/32 cassette with the 50/34 compact. For my level of fitness the extra low gearing is a blessing. It does use a slightly longer hanger to match the cassette. I don't often need the 32 but it has hauled me up the Cairn o Mount which I could never do on a 27 or 28. 

As for the 46/30 crank I was thinking of fitting that to the older road bike so I could possibly use it  for touring with panniers etc. I believe you still use the original front derailleur but just move it down to match the crank?   

Edited by broon-loon
Extra info'

25 minutes ago, jupe1407 said:

I'm intrigued, what are 510s?

I think they're shoes. I have this dilemma too. I'm reluctant, at age 60, to embrace any method of tying my feet to the pedals, me being a clumsy bassa and all. I understand the advantage of cleats, but I'll just plod along without, and be a failure!

27 minutes ago, Bold Rover said:

I think they're shoes. I have this dilemma too. I'm reluctant, at age 60, to embrace any method of tying my feet to the pedals, me being a clumsy bassa and all. I understand the advantage of cleats, but I'll just plod along without, and be a failure!

You know it makes sense.

On 5/15/2018 at 16:27, Unleash The Nade said:

On the 11/28  and a  50/34 up front you will likely run out of gears when hitting hills after a couple of days going round north Scotland. I do not know the route but multi day touring in hilly country takes on hell of a lot out of you. You might be able to smash 12% gradients on a 60 mile route for a day out with that set up, but after a couple of  days\hundreds of miles in your legs gradients will feel like lead. It can feel like running a half marathon and having to stop to do 10 reps of squats every now and then as the road goes vertical.

8 hours ago, Bold Rover said:

UtN: does one need pedals on the bike to match these shoes?

You need flat pedals mainly associated with mountain bikes like the ones shown in the link below .

They have little spikes which grip the soles, but if you slip off the, you can end up with nasty gashed shins .

Imho you shouldn’t use these kind of pedals on road bikes as it’ just not right .  Cleats are by far the most effective and you get used to them pretty quickly and easily