Official P&b Cycling Thread

9 minutes ago, Unleash The Nade said:

Have done all of this but not in a oner

Looks a good route but why not just do it without having to pay £40 for a non- closed road route ?

I’m interested in it as I like cycling in a group on these longer rides. A bit more motivation and a bit more competition I suppose. I’m always a bit more unsure about paying for open roads events but I do the Edinburgh Night Ride every year as it’s for charity. Once you’ve done the closed road Etape Loch Ness other open road events aren’t quite as nice.

This ^^
Or you simply might need a new chain as if the one you have has been on the bike for a while , it may have stretched 
ETA it may also be that the teeth on these gears on your rear cassette may be worn , hence the reason for it jumping out 

Cheers.

Relatively new bike so i wouldn't think that the chain or sprockets are fckd already. I shall try the upside thing and if that fails off to the local Bike Doctor.

1 hour ago, Kmeister said:

Cheers.

Relatively new bike so i wouldn't think that the chain or sprockets are fckd already. I shall try the upside thing and if that fails off to the local Bike Doctor.

If it’s relatively new , most shops do a quick free service after around 500 miles to tighten / adjust cables etc as broom-loon suggests above .

sounds like that’s all it needs 

On 02/12/2017 at 14:40, Unleash The Nade said:

Anyone here got a full suspension mountain bike ?

I’m wondering how much maintenance the mid suspension needs and if it’s worth investing in one over a good quality hardtail

Cheers 

What one do you have your eye on? I’ve had both full suspension and hardtail but always preferred the latter. If it’s a decent quality rear shock I wouldn’t think it would need all that much maintenance.

How to grit a cycle lane. 

DQrOwwAWkAEhYpE.jpg:large

Well  on the one hand my new gloves are utterly bullet proof, they are army surplus overmitts, not very dexterous but warm as toast.  But on the other hand I sacked off a big ride today after witnessing some of the efforts to drive in a light dusting of snow.  Some absolute clowns behind the wheels this morning. 

2 hours ago, dorlomin said:

How to grit a cycle lane. 

DQrOwwAWkAEhYpE.jpg:large

Well  on the one hand my new gloves are utterly bullet proof, they are army surplus overmitts, not very dexterous but warm as toast.  But on the other hand I sacked off a big ride today after witnessing some of the efforts to drive in a light dusting of snow.  Some absolute clowns behind the wheels this morning. 

Don’t blame you.

Last week in similar conditions with a very low sun , I saw a car drive straight into the back of a parked car because the driver hadn’t de-iced their screen properly.

Opted for the mtb today.  Great fun but baltic 

2 hours ago, Unleash The Nade said:

Don’t blame you.

Last week in similar conditions with a very low sun , I saw a car drive straight into the back of a parked car because the driver hadn’t de-iced their screen properly.

Opted for the mtb today.  Great fun but baltic 

Have you found a new MTB yet or are you waiting for the sales?

On ‎02‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 14:40, Unleash The Nade said:

Anyone here got a full suspension mountain bike ?

I’m wondering how much maintenance the mid suspension needs and if it’s worth investing in one over a good quality hardtail

Cheers 

Once you've set the SAG (which you'll need a shock pump for)  its much the same as front fork, just needs occasional service and look over for damage.

Loads of good deals at the minute, have a look at the 2017 Vitus bikes on chain reaction. Componentry is excellent for the dosh.

Edited by stu_mfc

6 hours ago, stu_mfc said:

Once you've set the SAG (which you'll need a shock pump for)  its much the same as front fork, just needs occasional service and look over for damage.

Loads of good deals at the minute, have a look at the 2017 Vitus bikes on chain reaction. Componentry is excellent for the dosh.

Cheers 

The Escarpe VR looks a great deal with some really good components.

Definitely food for thought 

17 hours ago, Unleash The Nade said:

Cheers 

The Escarpe VR looks a great deal with some really good components.

Definitely food for thought 

The very bike I have. Been a really enjoyable bike so far, easy enough to get up the hill on it and great fun coming down.

1 hour ago, Unleash The Nade said:

Another 23 reddies last night 

Both pathetic and fucking hilarious 

It’s a shame that something is so lacking in his life that he feels the only affirmative action he can take is making up stories on an internet forum and red dotting people! 

6 hours ago, Unleash The Nade said:

Another 23 reddies last night 

Both pathetic and fucking hilarious 

I treat every post with an open mind.    I then apply my marking scale:  

Green dot:  Excellent or very good post.  

No dot:  Good, average, or quite bad post. 

Red dot:  Very bad or truly awful post.   

As a new cyclist, I decided to read the entire 282 pages last night to get some advice before I take the plunge and join a club.    Rest assured I won't be joining you on a ride because I believe you would have little tolerance for a newbie, and with your anger issues I wouldn't want to risk hospitalisation.