Official P&b Cycling Thread

On 09/06/2017 at 18:39, printer said:

Indeed. I was going to upgrade to Mavics and friend mentioned him. Didn't even know of him, but being on Larbert very convenient.

Having said that , I've got a set of Mavic Ksyerium wheels and can't speak highly enough of them 

Totally bombproof and imo the best value for money wheels you can get 

27 minutes ago, Unleash The Nade said:

For someone who despises cycling , it's amazing the amount of time the sad little fuckwank Pearbuyerbell spends on here giving everyone red dots

Tbh I think he has a secret desire to join us but is probably so fat and unfit he can't ;)

I notice he's given me my first ever red dot! I didn't realise my post was that controversial!

I'm convinced that either he can't ride a bike and hates everyone who can or an ex-partner left him for a cyclist!

Edited by statts1976uk

23 hours ago, Unleash The Nade said:

Just finished my coast to coast mountain bike ride across scotland

Unfortunately due to some adverse weather condition at the start we had to cut the route a bit but still did just over 200 miles and over 14,500 feet of climbing of which 85% was off roaf

To be honest , being a "roadie" I and looking at the mileage for a 6 day trip , I thought it would be a dawdle, but couldn't have been more wrong . It was some of the hardest cycling I've ever done and was totally out of my comfort zone on many of the climbs and descents over extremely rough terrain.

I've now totally changed my opinions  mountain biking as I loved every second of it and am hooked.

if anyone's thinking about booking a trip with the company I used ( Skedaddle) I couldn't recommend them highly enough 

Got hooked on mountain biking a few years ago. Need to get yourself to Glentress....

2 hours ago, stu_mfc said:

Got hooked on mountain biking a few years ago. Need to get yourself to Glentress....

Been there a few times mate and lover it. However this was all natural off road cycling in some very remote areas. Cycled through bogs, rivers and really sketchy climbs and descents in some very tough conditions 

3 hours ago, statts1976uk said:

I notice he's given me my first ever red dot! I didn't realise my post was that controversial!

I'm convinced that either he can't ride a bike and hates everyone who can or an ex-partner left him for a cyclist!

I think you've got it right with the latter, she obviously enjoyed riding much more than him :)

14 minutes ago, Unleash The Nade said:

Been there a few times mate and lover it. However this was all natural off road cycling in some very remote areas. Cycled through bogs, rivers and really sketchy climbs and descents in some very tough conditions 

If your after tough and natural I can also recommend a wee trip to Dunoon, lot of work been done over there to promote the sport.

1 hour ago, bennett said:

Left crank arm fell off a week ago, started to work loose again after fitting a new bolt. New crank arm or new bracket required?

The left side does have issues with loosening off, that's why they use left hand threads on the pedals.

I would have a browse on Google and check to see if it's an issue with the make/ design.

Some time ago I took a crank apart to clean and check it, wondered what the clunk was after a few days and it was the crank that loosened off.

Pretty sure I tightened it, but I put it down to error on my part...:(

Yesterday was hotter than satans nutsack. I think I drunk about 10-12 liters when out and about on the bike. One of those days when you stop and start cooling down the pishing sweat fills your eyes. 

Lovely day for it mind, having set my machine against a good few bitterly cold north winds over the winter, I can drink lots of water at least I am not freezing my tender parts till they hurt. 

10 hours ago, Unleash The Nade said:

Having said that , I've got a set of Mavic Ksyerium wheels and can't speak highly enough of them 

Totally bombproof and imo the best value for money wheels you can get 

I've got the Mavic Cosmics and absolutely love them. I'm thinking of upgrading my MTB wheels to Mavics as I'm that happy with them.

Just got myself a bike through cycle to work scheme. First time I cycled to work I was fuked. Def need a better seat. Best to buy a cheap decent one?

Just done the same and picked it up today. Looking forward to a good few 10-15 mile bike runs with the Mrs

A rear puncture forced a 20 minute 'pitstop' on my morning commute this morning. :(

Typically the tyre wasn't keen to fit back on the rim. In the end I had to just get it the best I could with 50 psi in it and pedal gingerly the remaining 6 miles.

At least I had a spare tube and it wasn't raining...:)

1 hour ago, broon-loon said:

A rear puncture forced a 20 minute 'pitstop' on my morning commute this morning. :(

Typically the tyre wasn't keen to fit back on the rim. In the end I had to just get it the best I could with 50 psi in it and pedal gingerly the remaining 6 miles.

At least I had a spare tube and it wasn't raining...:)

Gatorskins by any chance ?

4 hours ago, Unleash The Nade said:

Gatorskins by any chance ?

Specialized Turbo Works, as was fitted originally. Last year only one puncture.

New tyre this year and second puncture so far (600 miles?)

They're pretty flimsy though, maybe time to look for alternatives. 

The old bike ran pretty much trouble free on Schwalbe rubber so may look at what they offer these days..?

1 hour ago, broon-loon said:

Specialized Turbo Works, as was fitted originally. Last year only one puncture.

New tyre this year and second puncture so far (600 miles?)

They're pretty flimsy though, maybe time to look for alternatives. 

The old bike ran pretty much trouble free on Schwalbe rubber so may look at what they offer these days..?

I bought a pair of Schwalbe Durano Plus 25s a couple of months back for about £26 each. I've done about 300 miles on them since (mostly on Forfar's network of rough and shitey B/C roads) with no issues (touch wood). 

just started full scale training for the Ride the North in august.  Havent been on this section much recently due to severe lack of motivation to get up.  But needing to up my game drastically for this 180 miler.  Any fellow PnBr's heading to do this one??