Official P&b Cycling Thread

On 3/15/2017 at 20:15, bennett said:

A bike makes you invisible, especially at junctions. Saying that i still enjoy a few hours out on the country roads, don't think I'm losing much weight but probably stopping more weight going on.

Been out 4 times this week, hit the gym twice, no Macdonald's breakfasts (usually 3-4), no crisps, no pies, no chips, no "grazing" - I've put on 1lb. :(

120k@s yesterday, training for the Tour of Ayrshire. Wanted a tough day but not quite as tough as it turned out. Wind behind average speed was bordering on 40kph out to Forres, then an uphill to Glenferness and Dulcie Bridge. Colder than I thought as well, so decided not to stop and kept going. Wind got so bad I was frequently fighting with the bike to stay upright. Got to Culloden battlefield in a major mess. Speed had dropped to 20kph, was all over the place, had the shakes, greeting, violently nauseous - the works. Got home to Inverness, spent 40 minutes between hot bath/ shower then devoured anything with protein in it. I knew what I'd done - not eaten breakfast, hurried out the door and pushed way too hard. Not put a warm layer on. Etc. etc. but kept going. Idiot, but now an old idiot who won't learn. Anyone else buried themselves on the bike recently?

2 hours ago, NewBornBairn said:

Been out 4 times this week, hit the gym twice, no Macdonald's breakfasts (usually 3-4), no crisps, no pies, no chips, no "grazing" - I've put on 1lb. :(

Give it time

Dont look for instant weight loss and don't get fed up if it doesn't happen quickly 

You'll be fitter & more toned and the weight loss will come 

Just make sure you're not cutting back too much on food as you'll probably need to take in more healthy calories to compensate for the increase in physical activity 

10 hours ago, Unleash The Nade said:

You might also need a longer derallieur cage

9 hours ago, NewBornBairn said:

Won't he need a longer chain too?

Yeah I've done the maths on the "teeth" and need to replace both 

Cheers guys. 

12 hours ago, NewBornBairn said:

Muscle is heavier than fat, you gain muscle mass then lose weight and get leaner

On 19/03/2017 at 21:03, Unleash The Nade said:

Getting back into the road bike and out twice this weekend.

30 miles and soaked yesterday and 58 dry, but blustery miles today at an average of 18.8 mph , so happy with that 

Aye but everybody else had to suffer yer moanin ;-)

I have just bought my first bike of my adult life, having finally accepted the one I was given for my 21st birthday is beyond repair after 17 years of service (well, about 7 years of service and 10 years of sitting in my mum's shed).

The new one is a not particularly exciting 300 quid job from Halfords, which I hope to get good use out of since I'm too busy at work nowadays to play 5's regularly. It will still feel like a spaceship compared to the old one so looking forward to it. It's also a 'hybrid' so presumably will be better on the road than the old mud-plugger.

Depends, hybrids come in all shapes and styles etc, I've two of them, 1 for roads and one which can handle dirt tracks better.

Genuine question, but what's the point in having 2 hybrids? Surely the point is to stop you needing to have 2 bikes, so if you want 2 would it not be best to get a road bike and a mountain bike?

19 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Genuine question, but what's the point in having 2 hybrids? Surely the point is to stop you needing to have 2 bikes, so if you want 2 would it not be best to get a road bike and a mountain bike?

Road bike, i didn't really fancy the drop down handle bars and prefer the more relaxed riding position of the hybrid.

As for not getting an MTB. I suppose i wanted a bike which could handle a bit of mud/leaves/winter etc, take the odd track without going too chunky. I'm not going to be doing any serious mountain biking.

8 hours ago, G_Man1985 said:

Right here I am looking for a bike to cycle to work to.
My issue i have with is going to work will be fine as nobody will be on the roads and it's all down hill but going home i finish between 10-12 in morning and it's all up hill. To my shame at the age of 31 I've never cycled on a road before while a car/s go past me

Stick to quieter roads first then until you build up your confidence , even if it means it makes the journey a wee bit longer 

Apologies if this has been covered before.

Does anyone know roughly how much it would be to change me Presta valves to Schrader for a hybrid.

Would I need to buy new wheels.

I find the Prestas really fiddly when trying to blow them up especially when by the side of a road on a cold day. Yup I'm a fat fingered clutz.

Any help greatly appreciated.

2 hours ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

It should be easy enough make the hole big enough with a Presta width drill bit.

To be honest I wouldn't risk drilling the hole bigger as it may weaken the rim tension .

if either buy new wheels or stick with the Schrader valves