Official P&b Cycling Thread

I'm definitely hungrier the last couple of weeks and wolf my dinner down when I get it!
In my twenties I got muscle burn but now it's just aching.
Right now my legs are like jelly and I'm hardly recovering in time for the next morning. Disheartening getting passed out by fellas in snickers trousers and work boots lol.

I'm definitely hungrier the last couple of weeks and wolf my dinner down when I get it!
In my twenties I got muscle burn but now it's just aching.
Right now my legs are like jelly and I'm hardly recovering in time for the next morning. Disheartening getting passed out by fellas in snickers trousers and work boots lol.

Someone passed them when they started out though.
I used to time myself and use apps to record my journey,then I said f**k it I'm only going to work.

Just now, Nkomo-A-Gogo said:

This was me three weeks ago. I started a new job nearly 8 miles away and it's pretty much uphill the whole way with the wind ALWAYS in my face.
I've been cycling for years so I have the miles in my legs but it's hard going. In bed the other night I got a bad cramp in my leg and felt like screaming.
I'm 39 soon and 15 stone and Just wondering if anyone has actually gotten fit and trim at that age or will I still be blowing out my arse this time next year.

I rejoined the cycling world just over 10 years ago when I was approaching mid 40s. Some years I try a bit harder to put the miles in other times less so. Not sure about fit and trim but it does seem to help when you get a medical or check up at the Doctors in the years you made an effort.

The cycle home yesterday was one of those 'why am I doing this' days. The wind wasn't that strong but it was significant and in my face for most of the time. Looking back at the stats on the Garmin confirms that I'm an ageing man who isn't very fit..:unsure:

Just set the alarm, MTB to work tomorrow if the weather is dry, must be mad...?

On 02/03/2017 at 18:41, Nkomo-A-Gogo said:

This was me three weeks ago. I started a new job nearly 8 miles away and it's pretty much uphill the whole way with the wind ALWAYS in my face.
I've been cycling for years so I have the miles in my legs but it's hard going. In bed the other night I got a bad cramp in my leg and felt like screaming.
I'm 39 soon and 15 stone and Just wondering if anyone has actually gotten fit and trim at that age or will I still be blowing out my arse this time next year.

Keep at it mate it'll come 

I'm older than you by quite a bit and only took up cycling about 6 years ago.  I reckon I'm as fit cardio wise than I've ever been , can do 80 mile plus runs no problem and can pull the legs off guys much younger than me on club runs.

On 02/03/2017 at 18:41, Nkomo-A-Gogo said:

These sort of things vary per person but at about 95kgs, cycling 16 miles at say 13mph you will burn about 930ish calories. 5 times a week that will be about 4600 calories.

To lose one kg you need to generate a 7000 calorie deficit. You will however be a lot more hungry than you were, so you might be eating some of that back, so you will likely begin losing just below half a kg a week or about 0.5% of your body weight. You are really not going to notice that in three weeks. But 6-10 you will.

Two things as you build the muscles in your legs the pain will ease and you will go faster. As you stress your heart and lungs you will slowly improve your cardiovascular. This is not instant but in a couple of more weeks you should find yourself getting better.

Then when you hit the point where things are easier and you notice you are dropping weight, you will start "feeling" a lot more of a reward from doing it.

If you are having a bit of trouble with motivation I can pass on a couple of recommendations. Be systematic in watching your weight. Weighing yourself once a week is going to be "variable". Best take your weight every morning when you wake up and stick it into an excel spreadsheet or something, then take the weekly average (example "=AVERAGE(A1:A7)"), your weight will jump around daily but over a week you will see the changes.

Be careful you dont increase your weekly food by 4500 calories or more then you will get no benefit.

You will not notice 1kg off to begin with. You will really notice 6kg, or a stone.

The hardest thing is getting in the routine, once there then everything gets easier.

1 hour ago, dorlomin said:

These sort of things vary per person but at about 95kgs, cycling 16 miles at say 13mph you will burn about 930ish calories. 5 times a week that will be about 4600 calories.

I've been using a chest strap HRM since i got a road bike and I was about 1200 Cals for 33 miles (88kg), so that isn't too far out which is pleasing. 

Yeah I did a 96km group ride on Sunday, Aberdeen - Bacnhory - Stonehaven - Aberdeen, and I burned 2500Kcal, mind you I was going pretty quickly and I weigh next to nothing - 51kg

My last one was hilariously out. MTB'd 10 miles to Culra, did some hillwalking and biked back out, 6700 calories [emoji38]

13 hours ago, dorlomin said:

To lose one kg you need to generate a 7000 calorie deficit. You will however be a lot more hungry than you were, so you might be eating some of that back, so you will likely begin losing just below half a kg a week or about 0.5% of your body weight. You are really not going to notice that in three weeks. But 6-10 you will.

Two things as you build the muscles in your legs the pain will ease and you will go faster. As you stress your heart and lungs you will slowly improve your cardiovascular. This is not instant but in a couple of more weeks you should find yourself getting better.

Then when you hit the point where things are easier and you notice you are dropping weight, you will start "feeling" a lot more of a reward from doing it.

If you are having a bit of trouble with motivation I can pass on a couple of recommendations. Be systematic in watching your weight. Weighing yourself once a week is going to be "variable". Best take your weight every morning when you wake up and stick it into an excel spreadsheet or something, then take the weekly average (example "=AVERAGE(A1:A7)"), your weight will jump around daily but over a week you will see the changes.

Be careful you dont increase your weekly food by 4500 calories or more then you will get no benefit.

You will not notice 1kg off to begin with. You will really notice 6kg, or a stone.

The hardest thing is getting in the routine, once there then everything gets easier.

I'm 104 kg and would like to see a significant difference when I go on holiday in 2 months. Is 10 miles a day going to put a dent in that?

Weather was a bit dry and nice this morning so took my racer to work instead of my MTB. What a difference. Shaved about 15 minutes off my 8 mile trip.
Looking forward to blasting home with the wind at my back.
It's bright in the morning and still light when I'm going home so life is good.

20 hours ago, NewBornBairn said:

I'm 104 kg and would like to see a significant difference when I go on holiday in 2 months. Is 10 miles a day going to put a dent in that?

Very doubtful NBB

Obviously a lot also depends on what the the 10 mile route is like ( hilly or flat) , how much you're pushing yourself when you do it and of course , calorie intake 

As an example in Summer I can average around 250 -350 miles a week, don't change my diet and my weight stays more or less the same 

34 minutes ago, NewBornBairn said:

Something like this will give you an idea.http://www.bicycling.com/training/weight-loss/cycling-calories-burned-calculator

There is a lot of variable so these things are only indicative and can vary.

If you going at 15mph then 10 miles will take you about 40 minutes.

So that would be about 600 kcal.

5 times a week would be 3000kcal per week so just under half a kilo a week. When people start excising your apatite can grow and you can eat more without realizing it.Given the short time frame and the short distances you would not need to cut back on food but you would need to be disciplined that you roughly the same in calories.

600 kcal/day keeping diet the same will make a massive difference.  Some would probably consider it too quick a reduction in body fat depending on starting point and other activities.

Did my first decent cycle of the year this morning. Any recommendations for an app for Android that tracks distance/time/speed/(estimated) calories used etc?  Don't mind paying for it.

19 minutes ago, Kool Keith said:

Did my first decent cycle of the year this morning. Any recommendations for an app for Android that tracks distance/time/speed/(estimated) calories used etc?  Don't mind paying for it.

Having used a few I've settled on Strava as the one I think is best. There is also a P&B group on that. 

Don't get hung up on segment times- some of them are just bullshit!