Times Article On Glasgow East

Bloobell

Well written it may be, but that article is a pile of judgemental nonsense.

Anyone could spend an hour walking around Shettleston and come to the conclusions Gill has, but the constituency as a whole is a disparate place. Had Gill spent some time in Tollcross or Mount Vernon, he may have formed a different opinion, albeit one that doen't provoke controversy.

To be fair he does highlight that it was Shettleston and I'd be amazed if he was trying to say that everyone in Glasgow East was like that

That said his thrust is about how the people there as a whole are so entrenched that they will once again blindly vote for a party which has badly let them down

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes I did but you appear to have missed the question mark, and also indeed the point

Not the brightest, are you?

Would you like to explain what your point was exactly? It appeared to me, and everyone else who has responded directly to you, that the 'point' of you bringing this article to our attention was to have a laugh at the impoverished people of Glasgow's East End, as cow-bite has already pointed out. Are you denying that this was your intention?

What a condescending bitch, she spends most of the article slagging people that are less fortunate than herself.

A.A Gill is a man. And I don't find it condescending in the slightest. I think it paints a very accurate picture of the area he's describing.

A.A Gill is a man. And I don't find it condescending in the slightest. I think it paints a very accurate picture of the area he's describing.

I have to disagree with you. I don't think it does at all. It paints a highly exaggerated picture of the area, making it sound far worse than it is.

I have no idea how people will vote, I've never asked and I've no intention of doing so, but the description of the area itself, well let's just say, if it hadn't mentioned Shettleston by name, I wouldn't have recognised it.

Would you like to explain what your point was exactly? It appeared to me, and everyone else who has responded directly to you, that the 'point' of you bringing this article to our attention was to have a laugh at the impoverished people of Glasgow's East End, as cow-bite has already pointed out. Are you denying that this was your intention?

My point is that I wasn't making a point - are you so thick you can't read my words?

I linked an article which I found to be both incisive and humorous, but that's my own view and I didn't share it until now

Now go and have a lie down and stop seeing things which don't exist

AA Gill is from Edinburgh so he knows best ;)

To be fair he does highlight that it was Shettleston and I'd be amazed if he was trying to say that everyone in Glasgow East was like that

That said his thrust is about how the people there as a whole are so entrenched that they will once again blindly vote for a party which has badly let them down

What point is he trying to make then? Everyuone knows what certain areas of Glasgow are like.

I don't see what purpose this article serves, as it only take account of the social conditions and voting patterns of one area of a large and diverse constituency.

An arrogant article.

The east end of Glasgow has a lot of good points its not like Bellend to generalise against a full community that he knows feck all about :lol: .

I think labour might struggle against the SNP.

I have to disagree with you. I don't think it does at all. It paints a highly exaggerated picture of the area, making it sound far worse than it is.

I have no idea how people will vote, I've never asked and I've no intention of doing so, but the description of the area itself, well let's just say, if it hadn't mentioned Shettleston by name, I wouldn't have recognised it.

I agree to some extent, having looked at a load of houses in and around Shettleston last year, but even if he hadn't mentioned the name, I could have figured that he was referring to Shettleston Road near the polis station.

The guy clearly has had pre-conceived ideas of what he expected to find in Glasgow East and has went out of his way to do so.

He's in touch with his feminine side.

In all honesty the article is rubbish, it's just him saying look at these people I'm better than them and so are you, let's all laugh at their obvious misfortune.

You can bet he feels really smug while writing it, arsehole.

I agree to some extent, having looked at a load of houses in and around Shettleston last year, but even if he hadn't mentioned the name, I could have figured that he was referring to Shettleston Road near the polis station.

The guy clearly has had pre-conceived ideas of what he expected to find in Glasgow East and has went out of his way to do so.

The exact (give or take a couple of hundred yards) area that I live. I still didn't think it was that accurate.

In all honesty the article is rubbish, it's just him saying look at these people I'm better than them and so are you, let's all laugh at their obvious misfortune.

I don't agree with that in the slightest.

My point is that I wasn't making a point - are you so thick you can't read my words?

I linked an article which I found to be both incisive and humorous, but that's my own view and I didn't share it until now

Now go and have a lie down and stop seeing things which don't exist

Don't be a pedantic p***k when you clearly lack the mental capacity to pull it off. The sub-title of the thread is enough to expose your true feelings on a very serious matter.

He's in touch with his feminine side.

You can bet he feels really smug while writing it, arsehole.

I bet he was wearing a cravat when writing it as Bellend was when he started the thread.

I don't agree with that in the slightest.

Is this just for comic effect?

The people do not look good here. Often it is difficult to tell men from women, old men from older men. The mean parades of shops are dotted with tanning parlours. Yet the locals have the blotchy pallor of cave-dwelling consumptives; only their first two fingers are stained brown.

Sweeping generalisation that the people do not look good and even compared them to cave dwellers.

Don't be a pedantic p***k when you clearly lack the mental capacity to pull it off. The sub-title of the thread is enough to expose your true feelings on a very serious matter.

No, it was rhetorical at best but I wouldn't expect someone so clearly stunted to see that.

Do you think I was seriously asking if these people should get a vote?

Don't answer that as it too is rhetorical - look it up if you're struggling

You'll call me a hypocrite because I've made reference to people 'scratching the surface' earlier in this thread, but if you were to take a walk or a drive through Shettleston then these are exactly the kind of images that would greet you. I'm sure you may come away from the area with a different opinion if you lived among the populace, but I think his article is designed to give a snapshot of the area, and, as such, I think it's a pretty accurate one.

wearealldoomed, you say: "The guy clearly has had pre-conceived ideas of what he expected to find in Glasgow East and has went out of his way to do so."

Sure, Gill probably had pre-conceived ideas about the east end, but do you really think he had to go 'out of his way' to have these vindicated? The fact you say you could have figured out he was talking about Shettleston Road without him naming it suggests not.

The exact (give or take a couple of hundred yards) area that I live. I still didn't think it was that accurate.

Fair enough.

Twas the reference to shitloads of tanning salons that made me think Shettleston Road. :lol:

I live above a tanning salon as it happens. There are some seriously unpretty sights to be seen.

Is this just for comic effect?

Sweeping generalisation that the people do not look good and even compared them to cave dwellers.

Are you suggesting I'm trying to be funny?

Question for you - have you ever been to Shettleston? You may think it's a sweeping generalisation, but, in general, the people there do not look good. It comes with the territory - people from one of Britain's most deprived areas are hardly going to be a picture of health, are they?

wearealldoomed, you say: "The guy clearly has had pre-conceived ideas of what he expected to find in Glasgow East and has went out of his way to do so."

Sure, Gill probably had pre-conceived ideas about the east end, but do you really think he had to go 'out of his way' to have these vindicated? The fact you say you could have figured out he was talking about Shettleston Road without him naming it suggests not.

If you're looking for skanky pubs, tanning salons and shell-suited urchins, you'll not have to look far in the East End, I agree.

Going out of his way was probably the wrong choice of phrase, but I doubt that Gill wandered into the more attractive pubs and shops of Shettleston Road whilst looking for interviewees.

Archived