Geocaching

HGG

Does anyone else go geocaching or have you registered a username on the site?

It's an international treasure hunt which is availale to do all the time. Basically there are a load of tupperware tubs (known as caches) hidden all over the world containing various items - each one has a log book and usually a pencil so that you can register having found the cache, leaving a note of the date and your registered username. The idea is that you take an item out and put an item in in its place. From the first box my son got a bouncy ball, my daughter got a pencil and eraser. We put in a pen and a keyring. Recently I got a small thimble-sized bell commemorating the millenium from a cache near to where I live.

Although these are the originals, there are other types of caches too, including tiny magnetic barrels holding a small rolled up strip of paper - you simply take your own pen and log your visit before replacing the cache. Mr HGG and I found two of the ones in Glasgow city centre (one on Blythswood Square and the other on George Square) the day after the Fives. :D

The term "muggles" (as in Harry Potter, so I'm told) is used to refer to people and the idea is to be as discreet as possible when finding a cache so as not to give the game away that there's something there to all and sundry - obviously that applies more in busier areas like town/city centres than it does out in the sticks somewhere.

Honestly, click the link above, go to Hide & Seek a Cache (menu on the left) and stick your post code into the search field. I bet you'll find one locally to you. I'm amazed by the fact that I've walked past hundreds of hidden tupperware tubs in all sorts of places over the past eight years or so and never even known about it! B)

I even had a look at a couple of other countries tonight, just out of sheer nosiness and surprisingly several came up in Gauteng in South Africa where my friend lives, one came up in Monaco and various in Western Australia. I'm seriously hooked and finding it very addictive!

All those who've been posting on here about being bored ought to try it. My kids think it's fab but I've also been out with Mr HGG and located several caches without the kids. It's great fun!

Edit because I forgot this bit: Apparently there are items being moved around within the caches too with notes saying that the item (maybe a small bear or whatever) is trying to make it's way to, say, Australia and can you help him get there. The idea is that if you think you can help him along his way on the trip you take him and put him in another cache or else take him with you if you're going to where he wants to be! :D

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sounds interesting i'll have a bash tomorrow, really excited :D

And at the very least thank you for curing my boredom! :D

:lol:

No worries. I have to confess to getting quite excited at the prospect of another mission. I want to put some caches of my own in place - imagine that! :D

• 3 years later...

I just got a satman GPS for my birthday. It's not the old type with just co-ordinates and the like, it has a screen and displays 1-25,000 OS maps and obviously shows you're exact position on them and traks your journey. I'm an old skool map and compass guy so was amzaed by this 'cutting edge' technology.

EDIT - There are hundreds within a 10 mile radius of me.

Right, that was a bit crap. Walked to the one nearest me, and I'm pretty sure I followed the instructions correctly... but there was no cache to be found. Ah well. Will try another tomorrow.

I'm starting to think it was hidden in a 35mm film canister or something and I just didn't see it, even though I was standing there with my torch for upwards of a minute like a pure daftie.

I don't really get this. There's loads near me but the descriptions are so vague it would take ages to find the things! Am I missing something that makes them easier to find or is it really that difficult?

Log in to the site and you get the exact GPS co-ords, so if you have a handheld GPS advice you can go right to it. It may still be hidden once you're standing in the right spot, though.

Log in to the site and you get the exact GPS co-ords, so if you have a handheld GPS advice you can go right to it. It may still be hidden once you're standing in the right spot, though.

I 'unearthed' one last year just to see what was in it, I knew who had hidden it the week before and was just being nosey. It was under a large rock at the top of a shingle beach and even knowing roughly where it was it took a while to get to it.

Small plastic box, some shoite on the Isle it was buried on, cannae even mind what else :lol:

The co-ords are +/- (x)m dependant on the type of unit used, the settings on the unit, tree cover and so on.

Once you are 'exactly' at the correct spot you may have to look about within a small radius for likely spots.

I've got a few caches around Airdrie, Glasgow and some in the Highlands.

I had a wee read and signed up this morning. Went over to Callendar Park, where there are three caches. Managed to find two of them but the third one eluded me - although I think I figured out the clue I couldn't find it.

Archived