The Cricket Thread

bewlay

Wicket for Roland-Jones, I like the look of him.

He's impressed me with his accuracy. He'll always get wickets in English conditions with that. I fear he may get smacked around on Australian pitches though.

I'd definitely take him over for the Ashes, but personally would start Wood ahead of him, his fast skiddish action would work well in the likes of the WACA imo.

I see Boycott is tweeting an apology (!) for having said something unacceptable about the West Indies players at a function.  I presume it was racially tinged.  Anyone have more details on what he actually said?

1 hour ago, Savage Henry said:

I see Boycott is tweeting an apology (!) for having said something unacceptable about the West Indies players at a function.  I presume it was racially tinged.  Anyone have more details on what he actually said?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/41010324

I think Geoff might find that his lack of Knighthood has more to do with his conviction for beating up his girlfriend and the fact that his team-mates hated him rather than anything else...

33 minutes ago, Uncle Psychosis said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/41010324

I think Geoff might find that his lack of Knighthood has more to do with his conviction for beating up his girlfriend and the fact that his team-mates hated him rather than anything else...

Oh dear.  Poor Geoffrey.  Take the rest of the series off, old man.

He said he would have a better chance of a knighthood if he 'blacked his face'.

It's a really stupid thing to say. He has apologised unreservedly and fully and taken responsibility for saying something that he knows is unacceptable, and it's certainly good to see him respond like that, but it's frustrating these sorts of comments are being made in the first place.

As a commentator I like Boycott a lot, but there are certainly aspects of him as a person that I don't. My dad adored him growing up, he even named me after him. Sometimes don't know how I feel about that.

Boycott is a bumbling fool at times, and it's certainly not the first time he's said something monumentally stupid. He's got a fair bit of undeserved leeway due to his grumpy straight-talking Yorkshireman shtick imo.

I do quite enjoy his seething takedowns of shite England test performances tbf.

Boycott's an arsehole. He's a shite commentator and if teams ever followed his sage advice they'd bat for a day with total risk aversion and walk off 120-1 in front of a sleeping crowd. Time he fucked off out the way.

5 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

England started poorly in the last one as well.

True although not this poorly 

Last time out they were 108/2 after 27 overs with Cook on 50 at lunch

This time they're 61/3 after 26 overs

And I did say "maybe"

Hopefully the visitors can at least make a contest of it this time out

Goes back to what we've talked about before, most recently during & after the second SA Test - can England's middle order Stokes, Bairstow & Ali play sensibly and nurse England to a decent total, say about 250-300 or are we gonna see a low scoring shootout?

Edited by btb