The Cricket Thread

bewlay

I've watched enough woeful Scotland run chases over the years that I couldn't believe we got ourselves in a position to win that - and now I can't believe we didn't win it.

Still, perhaps we should be grateful for the wide bowled with the penultimate ball, otherwise Scotland could have come away with nothing.

I haven't really tried to work this out yet, but I suppose even with a win we were always likely to have to win two games in the Super Sixes - and we do have the wherewithal to beat Ireland and UAE - and thanks to the point earned today it might still be the case that two wins are enough if we get a favourable result or two elsewhere.

Ireland have had the edge over us in the one day format for a while now. Not especially confident going into that one, though it’s not beyond us to snatch a win if we play (very) well, and the Windies have enough explosive batting to blow anyone in the competition away.  UAE is certainly winnable. We’re heavily reliant on two or three of our established batsmen making decent scores as we seem to have quite a long tail.

Edited by Frankie S

We can actually do it with one win provided it's against Ireland but we'd need about 6 other results and run rate swings to go in our favour. 

*if* we beat Ireland and UAE then that means only Zimbabwe and WI can finish above us and from that POV we'd be hoping WI dished out a tanking in that game to tilt the run rate in our favour . Appreciate we'll be large underdogs vs the Irish and Windies. 

Edited by Fuctifano

Remaining fixtures

2018-03-15    WIN    ZIM
2018-03-15    UAE    AFG
2018-03-16    IRE    SCO

2018-03-18    IRE    AFG
2018-03-19    WIN    SCO
2018-03-20    UAE    ZIM

2018-03-22    WIN    AFG
2018-03-22    UAE    SCO
2018-03-23    IRE    ZIM

6 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

We can actually do it with one win provided it's against Ireland but we'd need about 6 other results and run rate swings to go in our favour. 

*if* we beat Ireland and UAE then that means only Zimbabwe and WI can finish above us. Appreciate we'll be large underdogs vs the Irish and Windies. 

Ireland vs Zimbabwe being a day after the rest may be unfortunate as it means Zimbabwe will know precisely what they need to do in terms of run rate.

Scotland currently batting PNG about the park after a slowish start but one where they kept wickets - 300 odd now with 3 overs to go.

Windies struggling against Afghanistan, while I feel if we're to go through it's going to be alongside them, if Afghanistan get a result there it obviously opens it up a wee bit and could help us out.

On 62/0 before the end of the 8th over the it was looking a bit problematic

Chris Sole's wickets at the end of that over and the start of the 10 made everything a lot less stressful, unfortunately he didn't get his hat trick

It's now 93/5 for 14 overs so we can calm down

I ran the Duckworth Lewis calculator  and we'd win by 77 runs if it stopped now

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)