The Cricket Thread

bewlay

Smith missed a trick big time by not putting them in again, denying the England bowlers any chance of a confidence boost and ripping into a fragile batting order would have done much more psychological damage I reckon. They'll still win this one barring any rain, though, and 5-0 looks increasingly probable....

Smith missed a trick big time by not putting them in again, denying the England bowlers any chance of a confidence boost and ripping into a fragile batting order would have done much more psychological damage I reckon. They'll still win this one barring any rain, though, and 5-0 looks increasingly probable....

Enforcing the follow on seem out of fashion, even more amongst Australians, though if I were Smith I think I would have made the same decision. Plenty of time left, and 150 plus is enough to take the game away from England. No need to make England bat again. Give the bowlers a rest, get some more runs on the board, and still plenty of time to skittle England again.

Given themselves a chance in a match that already looked done. Would still massively fancy Australia but this is some good batting from England so far.

Aided by some awful bowling from Starc. Lyon looks like the biggest threat until the lights cone on.

Looked to me on the close up view of the pads that it was turning back in and hitting leg stump - I was surprised to hear the commentators hear that they thought it was going to be close. Looked plum to me. Umpires are having a bit of a shocker in this test.

They've had some poor decisions, but they got two crackers right this morning which Australia reviewed in desperation, and lost them both. The irony of course was that they should have reviewed the lbw with Cook earlier which was absolutely plumb.

It's a tough call as to how England play this final day. Do they go for it first thing knowing the new ball is coming or play safe and hope Root at least is still there when the new ball is taken. I think if the Aussies can get rid of Root and Bairstow before the new ball it's curtains for England, if they've both still got their wickets in tact I'd be edging towards the most unlikely of England victories

Its Australias to loose but if England put another 30 on the board before the next wicket, things could get very dicey.

I think they should stick Bairstow in next, he is a right hander and Lyon has had a lot less success with them,  he is more than good enough to move up the order and try to nullify Lyon for a stretch. 

England likely have about 30 runs too many to chase, but batting through the day is much easier. 

Sneaky suspicion that England will win. Had to mute the commentary last night. Usually like listening to KP but last night he was just constantly talking about how wonderful the Barmy Army were.

Guest Moomintroll

Could go either way, if Chris Woakes bats the way he can then it could run away from the Aussies quickly. Hope it does but sadly can't see it. Need Wood and Stokes here to give us any hope, much as Stuart Broad has performed over the years his time has gone, especially with the bat.