The Cricket Thread

bewlay

Going by previous day/night games then Adelaide is where Anderson in particular might run amok.

Think there is a lot more pressure on Australia with them being the home side, they'll be expected to win at the Gabba and if they don't the Aussie press will be up in arms, especially given how weak they think this England squad are.

That's my thinking also. Anderson doesn't have a particularly good record in Australia but you'd think a day/night test would be right up his street if he can get it swinging under the lights.

That's my thinking also. Anderson doesn't have a particularly good record in Australia but you'd think a day/night test would be right up his street if he can get it swinging under the lights.

It's the closest they will get to anything that might replicate "English" conditions. Imo if England can get out of the Gabba without losing then they can win the series, I think if they lose the first test then the Aussies will get a lift that might be enough to carry them through.

Think it's all BT sport. Simon Hughes said on twitter there were no terrestrial highlights.

I'm going to try and do my usual and stay up til lunch on day 1 of the first test and the odd weekend day until the holiday season tests if the series is still live. A lot of the talk is about England's batting but I worry the bowling could be a bit toothless, England seem to be working under the assumption Anderson will win them the day-night (2nd) test single handedly but if Australia win as normal in Brisbane I can't see England getting it back.

Ritchie Benaud was the biggest critic of cricket being on pay TV. He refused to work for SKY after they got the rights after the 2005 series. The 'greatest' ashes of all time and then cricket disappeared from terrestrial TV.

Ritchie Benaud was the biggest critic of cricket being on pay TV. He refused to work for SKY after they got the rights after the 2005 series. The 'greatest' ashes of all time and then cricket disappeared from terrestrial TV.

He was involved in helping set up World Series Cricket for Kerry Packer though which eventually took live cricket broadcasts from the ABC to the commercial crapdom of Channel 9.

Think it's all BT sport. Simon Hughes said on twitter there were no terrestrial highlights.
I'm going to try and do my usual and stay up til lunch on day 1 of the first test and the odd weekend day until the holiday season tests if the series is still live. A lot of the talk is about England's batting but I worry the bowling could be a bit toothless, England seem to be working under the assumption Anderson will win them the day-night (2nd) test single handedly but if Australia win as normal in Brisbane I can't see England getting it back.

Certainly agree with you about the bowling, Anderson's figures in Australia are nothing like at home, and after the last series down under then they have a lot to prove. I think the absence of Stokes will be huge, he is superb with bat, ball and in the field and the energy he brings rubs off on everyone else. He also wouldn't be cowed by anything the Aussies could throw at him, either from the players or the crowd. I fancy the Aussies to win but I certainly don't think it will be a whitewash, but as I mentioned further up I think England have to overturn history and win at the Gabba to have any chance of a series win.

19 hours ago, mjw said:

Rumours online that Ben stokes maybe in contention for the third test.

There's absolutely no way of knowing that.  As long as the police investigation continues, he's going nowhere.  

I presume they're talking about his injury more than the legal permutations.  

But if that is true, the balance of the side from 6 down is so much better.  As it is, they are going into the first test with, most likely, everyone batting one place too high.