The Cricket Thread

bewlay

26 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Maybe nobody else there? How strong is the domestic game out there, T20 apart?

The West Indies cricket team hasn't been a meritocracy for twenty odd years.  My guess is that he has family ties.

50 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Nice touch with Sky filming Blowers' last stint on TMS, and the entire ground applauding him off. Never been a big fan, but that was a seriously touching moment.

England team also invited him in for a drink at the end of the match, nice touch from them too.

I quite liked him as a commentator but thought he should have been binned after the anti-Semitic comments he made. I also noticed his mistakes have been becoming increasingly common on TMS. Yesterday he shouted 'he's bowled him, he's bowled him' and (I think) Ed Smith had to correct him 'LBW' leaving blowers to admit 'I didn't actually see it, I just saw the fielders celebrating.'

I quite liked him as a commentator but thought he should have been binned after the anti-Semitic comments he made. I also noticed his mistakes have been becoming increasingly common on TMS. Yesterday he shouted 'he's bowled him, he's bowled him' and (I think) Ed Smith had to correct him 'LBW' leaving blowers to admit 'I didn't actually see it, I just saw the fielders celebrating.'

To be fair to the dear old chap, he told Ian Ward and David Lloyd on Sky that making too many mistakes was the main reason he was retiring.

I think what I will miss about him is that he's a character who coloured the TMS commentary very well. His 'dear old thing' line was endearing, the talking about pigeons and weird tangents are part of what I love about TMS. My favourite passages were often when he and Boycott were together, the contrast between the two worked really well. I do think that TMS is, whilst still the best sporting commentary there is, losing something. CMJ sadly dying and Blowers retiring in recent years is to the shows detriment. I just don't think Vaughan and Swann (as much as I like them both) have that nuance that TMS does so well. I think Vaughan is perhaps trying too hard to be the next Boycott.

I think what I will miss about him is that he's a character who coloured the TMS commentary very well. His 'dear old thing' line was endearing, the talking about pigeons and weird tangents are part of what I love about TMS. My favourite passages were often when he and Boycott were together, the contrast between the two worked really well. I do think that TMS is, whilst still the best sporting commentary there is, losing something. CMJ sadly dying and Blowers retiring in recent years is to the shows detriment. I just don't think Vaughan and Swann (as much as I like them both) have that nuance that TMS does so well. I think Vaughan is perhaps trying too hard to be the next Boycott.

I'm a relatively new listener to TMS, I've only started regularly tuning in this summer. I love listening to Agnew, he has the perfect cricket voice.

Windies limp over 200  in the 1st ODI, but they have been very poor. Could have been a lot worse if Root hadn't dropped Gayle when he was on 0. Match reduced to 42 overs as the outfield was wet this morning and deemed to be dangerous by the umpires. England have 204-9 to beat.

And as expected England reach the target comfortably, Bairstow the star performer with a run a ball 100, and Root hitting a half century.

Bairstow needs to stay at 7 for tests. Just in advance of the inevitable Twitter calls for him to open in tests.

Sun saying that Vince is back in at 3 with the 3 uncapped players being Ben Foakes, (please at some point play Stokes, Foakes, and Woakes), Craig Overton and Mason Crane. No Mark Wood or Roland-Jones due to injury

Cook

Stoneman

Vince

Root

Malan / Ballance

Stokes

Bairstow

Ali

Woakes

Broad

Anderson

leaving Malan / Ballance, Foakes, Ball, Crane, and Overton as the other 5.

Just now, Savage Henry said:

The Sun has a video of Ben Stokes swinging punches at two blokes outside a club. Doesn’t look at all good, although it doesn’t show what happened before hand. I think there’s every chance he misses the Ashes.

Why would he punch an urn?