The Cricket Thread

bewlay

18 minutes ago, mjw said:

95 overs they batted in this match.
One day cricketers masquerading as test players.

Take out Root's 190 in the First Innings of the First Test and it is not looking very healthy at all. That was the main difference between the sides in the First Test (IMO).

17 hours ago, Fuctifano said:

I have no recollection of what happened last English summer but the 2015 Ashes was similar to this series so far , 3-2 England but all 5 matches were utter shoeings. Think the series vs India the summer before was as well. Test matches when they're close are amazing but one-sided hammerings, even if it's a different side dishing out the hammering each time, are no fun.

The attitude of players these days is to attack your way out of a situation, we're gonna get more series like that with huge swings from Test to Test. In the first Test England batted first and were in trouble and it worked for Stokes/Ali that time it didn't. OK so the situations in the two Tests weren't identical there maybe some of that is down to the Lord's pitch still being in good nick or as JJJJS said maybe the more aggressive batsmen need someone like Root at the other end keeping it steady to launch their aggressive innings successfully. 

I think I mentioned it during the final day of the Lords test, but batsmen don't have a clue how to deal with decent Test wickets anymore. The other forms of the game allow them to develop into flat track bullies, look brilliant, and score a pile of runs, but as soon as the pitch starts playing tricks they don't have a clue how to deal with it.

I'll bet the average score at the Champions Trophy this year was about 50 or 100 better than the one in England in 2004. I very much doubt it is because batsmen have suddenly become that much better in the last 13 years, just that the conditions are set up far more in favour of the batters.

ETA: May I add that Alex Hales isn't the answer. He's the ultimate example of a guy that will get caught out on a decent test pitch. Stand and deliver without much footwork doesn't work, especially in England.

Edited by Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo

Some excellent bowling by SA on the one hand and some abject batting by England on the other. Can only echo what other folk have said in that defensive batting now appears to be a lost art. Dreadful that England couldn't even make it through 2 sessions today.

They are only winning test matches if they bat first. You can have sympathy for teams batting last on deteriorating wickets but that was only day 4.

This is true. Maybe four day tests is the way to go.

On 7/17/2017 at 21:44, die hard doonhamer said:

I'd bring back Hameed, he looks to have the makings of a proper test match opener. Give Ben Duckett an extended run at 3, drop Dawson and go with Jos Buttler down the order.

Agreed, the selectors appear to be pished oot their nuts.  

In other news Zimbabwe shat it and Sri Lanka won the test with a sterling 391-6

Where can I get more information on Scotlands regional Pro series? For example I know there was the joint venture with the dutch but what happened and are Scotland just doing it solo. I looked on Cricket Scotland site and Wikipedia but there doesn't seem much on there. Any help thanks in advance

30 minutes ago, Doonhamer doon south said:

Where can I get more information on Scotlands regional Pro series? For example I know there was the joint venture with the dutch but what happened and are Scotland just doing it solo. I looked on Cricket Scotland site and Wikipedia but there doesn't seem much on there. Any help thanks in advance

Info seems sparse.  Here is the cricket Europe site link.

http://www.cricketeurope.com/CESCOTLAND/index.shtml

27 minutes ago, Tynieness said:

Info seems sparse.  Here is the cricket Europe site link.

http://www.cricketeurope.com/CESCOTLAND/index.shtml

Surprised there isn't a competition for the regional teams of Ireland Scotland and Dutch combined. Be a good 8 team (3 Irish, 3 Scots, 2 Dutch) league over the summer. With Ireland and Afghanistan picking up full test status the worry is Scotland being left behind and competing for "best of the rest"

Surprised there isn't a competition for the regional teams of Ireland Scotland and Dutch combined. Be a good 8 team (3 Irish, 3 Scots, 2 Dutch) league over the summer. With Ireland and Afghanistan picking up full test status the worry is Scotland being left behind and competing for "best of the rest"

Something like that would be great. Obviously this is never going to happen for a quite a few reasons but it would be fantastic if Scotland could get one of the franchises for the new T20 thing the ECB are so keen on. Obviously that isn't going to happen but If this competition does increase interest and give the game some terrestrial exposure hopefully it will increase interest and participation up here which can only be a good thing.

Just now, Jmothecat2 said:

Something like that would be great. Obviously this is never going to happen for a quite a few reasons but it would be fantastic if Scotland could get one of the franchises for the new T20 thing the ECB are so keen on. Obviously that isn't going to happen but If this competition does increase interest and give the game some terrestrial exposure hopefully it will increase interest and participation up here which can only be a good thing.

Many years ago Scotland got to participate in one of the 50 over comps, they did it for a few seasons I think.

That was back when our overseas player was Rahul Dravid.  I was always a bit of a Jonah for Dravid, saw him bat at the MCG back in 1999 and he didn't make much then saw him in England a few times and never passed 50.   Great player too.