The Cricket Thread

bewlay

Looks like their maybe a bit of bite added to the remaining tests with some of the accusations flying around after the last test.
Fox news Australia not covering themselves in glory either comparing Kohli to an animal.

Looks like their maybe a bit of bite added to the remaining tests with some of the accusations flying around after the last test.
Fox news Australia not covering themselves in glory either comparing Kohli to an animal.

The only clip I've seen of it is when the umpire got involved when Smith was clearly trying to cheat. On that alone the Indians have a point.

140 years ago today Test Match cricket started at the MCG with the first ball was bowled at 1.05pm by Englishman Alfred Shaw to Englishman Charles Bannerman representing Combined Australia. It was a dot but he did score the first single off the next ball. 

On ‎11‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 15:47, Bobby Skidmarks said:

Australia cheating? Shocker.

Yeah but it's hardly a biggie - IMO anyway. Cricket ain't a dynamic sport and there's no reason why the fourth umpire shouldn't be able to overrule and make the correct decision where necessary.

Anyway to the current Test, the Aussies have the upper hand altho' looking at bet365 the majority of punters would seem to disagree as India are currently at a shorter price - draw shorter odds than either team winning sensibly. :unsure: 

Edited by btb

On ‎18‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 11:03, btb said:

Yeah but it's hardly a biggie - IMO anyway. Cricket ain't a dynamic sport and there's no reason why the fourth umpire shouldn't be able to overrule and make the correct decision where necessary.

Anyway to the current Test, the Aussies have the upper hand altho' looking at bet365 the majority of punters would seem to disagree as India are currently at a shorter price - draw shorter odds than either team winning sensibly. :unsure: 

Well I called that wrong India upped the tempo after reaching 500 and are on the verge of going past 600 leaving and should probably declare and leave Australia with a tricky wee session to complete before having to bat through the final day.

603/9d - 152 ahead of Australia who'll have 8 overs to face before stumps.

Australia 23/2 at stumps will have a hard day's batting tomorrow#

One session (minimum 29 overs) to go and Australia are 149/4 - 3 runs behind so India will have to bat again if they're gonna win.

Only 23 wickets in 14 sessions, you'd have to favour the draw but I've not called it too well so far this Test.

A draw but one that wasn't inevitable until the final session - not that it would have mattered this Test but the Indians might have squeezed a few extra overs in if they didn't appeal so much.

Edited by btb

The ECB have launched a grass roots initiative aimed at getting kids involved in the game younger with an 8 week course for 5-8 year olds. Plenty of clubs in Scotland getting involved as well. I'm going to get my wee boy involved and hopefully he catches the bug for it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/get-inspired/39327833

Reading up on the T20 proposal from the ECB. It's interesting, and the idea of free to air cricket, and a condensed competition sound great. However apparently they only want 8 teams and a draft system for players.

How will the counties that miss out feel about this? I don't think I like the draft idea and would like to see more details about this. I'm a bit unsure about the idea of seeing, for example, Yorkshire playing against their own county players. Will they play a four day game for one county one week then the following be playing a T20 game against that same county.

Reading up on the T20 proposal from the ECB. It's interesting, and the idea of free to air cricket, and a condensed competition sound great. However apparently they only want 8 teams and a draft system for players.

How will the counties that miss out feel about this? I don't think I like the draft idea and would like to see more details about this. I'm a bit unsure about the idea of seeing, for example, Yorkshire playing against their own county players. Will they play a four day game for one county one week then the following be playing a T20 game against that same county.

I've not read much about it, but I thought the proposal was for 8 'city' franchises, rather than counties? So they wouldn't be aligned to any particular county (although obviously sharing county grounds).

I like draft systems generally, so I'm all for that.

I've not read much about it, but I thought the proposal was for 8 'city' franchises, rather than counties? So they wouldn't be aligned to any particular county (although obviously sharing county grounds).

I like draft systems generally, so I'm all for that.

I'm not keen on them, it all seems very American and franchisey. Will counties keep the same players each year or will they be redrafted each time?

I've heard the 'city' based idea before but nothing mentioned about that in the article on the ECB website. Not sure I could bring myself to support 'Leeds'.

Technically they'll be playing for city franchises as opposed to counties although in some places it will be harder to tell the difference. These are professionals though and if Tamils can play against the superkings then I'm sure Yorkshiremen can manage

The bigger challenge will be in the smaller counties. The WestCountry should be a good market but
can a new franchise persuade people in Somerset to back the Bristol Bumpkins?

It's the kind of thing that's been done in other sports with very mixed results.