The Cricket Thread

bewlay

What's the story with that pic.

Drinks breaks now also feature pizzas, he's brought a cutter / plate combo on.

Either that or he wore it in the IPL as a shield to stop him getting melted by a batsman nailing a drive straight back at him

Drinks breaks now also feature pizzas, he's brought a cutter / plate combo on.

Either that or he wore it in the IPL as a shield to stop him getting melted by a batsman nailing a drive straight back at him

It's his own design, and I don't think he has actually had to use it yet. Certainly with the amount of hard, straight drives you see now protection for the umpires has to be a consideration. Apparently all the umpires were issued with a helmet to use at the World T20s but none of them wore it.

England win the 4th ODI by 6 wickets (D\L) to win the series with game to spare.

Jason Roy is in excelent form at the moment as he scored 162 off 118 balls which is the 2nd highest score ODI for England missing Robin Smith top spot by 6 runs.

Bit late to suggest this given some of the legends that retired for Sri Lanka since last timw they were here but I wonder how much closer the series would have been if it was the second one of the summer.

I remember sitting at the Oval years ago when they pasted Eng. Murali took 16 wkts but their batsmen set it up beautifully. It was the match that was a shootout between Crawley and Hick for (I think) a spot in that winters Ashes squad.

Bit late to suggest this given some of the legends that retired for Sri Lanka since last timw they were here but I wonder how much closer the series would have been if it was the second one of the summer.

I remember sitting at the Oval years ago when they pasted Eng. Murali took 16 wkts but their batsmen set it up beautifully. It was the match that was a shootout between Crawley and Hick for (I think) a spot in that winters Ashes squad.

There's a documentary repeated fairly often on Sky about England in the 90s which is great for folk of my age who grew up watching at that point.

The discussion regarding that match was about the general astonishment about the pitch that had been prepared which could have come straight from Kandy.

Bumble I think was the coach at that time and he asked the groundsman before the game why he'd prepared that pitch, groundsman said he wasn't allowed to tell him!

Murali took 9/10 in the second innings with the other being a runout, total match figues of 124-41-220-16-.

Ian Salisbury took 26-7-86-1 :lol:

England go very conservative in their squad for the Pakistan first test.  Some posh boy called Toby Roland-Jones (Conservative) called up along with Jake Ball (SNP) for the bowling position vacated by the injured Jimmy Anderson (Labour).  Gary Ballance (ANC) will bat at 3.  Again.

England squad 

Alastair Cook (Essex, captain)

Moeen Ali (Worcestershire)

Jonathan Bairstow (Yorkshire)

Gary Ballance (Yorkshire)

Jake Ball (Nottinghamshire)

Stuart Broad (Nottinghamshire)

Steven Finn (Middlesex)

Alex Hales (Nottinghamshire)

Joe Root (Yorkshire)

Toby Roland-Jones (Middlesex)

James Vince (Hampshire)

Chris Woakes (Warwickshire)

Hate to be negative about a newbie but not sure Vince is gonna cut it in test cricket....even his fielding hasn't been up to muster

ETA was hoping for bit more from Ballance as well....

I agree but they may be the best options. They'll both get the series, I would imagine.

Vaughn is pretty fuming at both of their wickets though.

I agree but they may be the best options. They'll both get the series, I would imagine.

Vaughn is pretty fuming at both of their wickets though.

Yeah think they have to go with them the whole series.....real problem if neither nails down a position though. Not sure what the options are. Bring in Buttler n stokes when he's fit and shuttle everyone up the order?? Would certainly make for an entertaining line up plus lots of bowling options.No sure how practical that would be tho.

Watching the highlights and it's another masterclass from England in how not to play spin bowling.
If Pakistan had taken one of their chances with Cook they'd be firm favourites to win.