P&b Running Club

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Anyone ever managed to do a Gareth Southgate and dislocate their shoulder while running? Unless he's fallen over, ran into something or been hit by a car I can't work out how he's managed it.

Pain in my shin (possibly shinsplints) refuses to go away. Anyone got any tips? Ordered some compression socks on the basis they surely can't make things worse.

Don't think there's a quick fix for shin splints unfortunately.  Rest, rest, and more rest.  Once you can't feel it any more when out walking, give it another 2 weeks.  I had it a few years ago and went back to running too early twice and both times it came back.  I eventually took a full month off and that did the trick. 

Done 10k today in bang on 52 mins, my only previous 10k attempt was 55 and a half. It turns out my route today incorporates almost the entire route that the HamilTEN will run! Will be aiming for sub 50 mins come the September race, would it be unachievable to aim for a 45 min run?!!

Forced myself into a 10k on Wednesday. First time I've got to that distance in a while and limped through the last 2k to clock in at just over 45 so not as far off my best as I expected but much room for improvement.

Any tips on best way to prepare for a run stretch wise? Particularly in the calves, got a really sore knot about halfway between my left Achilles and the knee joint. Was also getting some concerning pains during the run along the outside of my foot that thankfully haven't come to anything

Have always done pretty standard static stretching but feel I need something more regimented and intense to avoid all these niggles that plague any run I do over 5k and stop me building up any momentum afterwards

Forced myself into a 10k on Wednesday. First time I've got to that distance in a while and limped through the last 2k to clock in at just over 45 so not as far off my best as I expected but much room for improvement.

Any tips on best way to prepare for a run stretch wise? Particularly in the calves, got a really sore knot about halfway between my left Achilles and the knee joint. Was also getting some concerning pains during the run along the outside of my foot that thankfully haven't come to anything

Have always done pretty standard static stretching but feel I need something more regimented and intense to avoid all these niggles that plague any run I do over 5k and stop me building up any momentum afterwards
I've been advised by experienced guys here that prerun should always be dynamic stretches, static stretches post run. I do a bit of a mix of the 2 as I have a sciatic pain niggle so do some pretty intense static stretching in that area pre run then some legs swings and mountain climbers for dynamic.

• 3 weeks later...

I’m working in Glasgow for a couple of days. Arrived this evening and went for a run - I’m staying near Glasgow Green so thought I’d go there but that Bruno Mars twat is playing there tonight so had to change my route... anyone know if it’ll be open tomorrow?

11 hours ago, Reina said:

I’m working in Glasgow for a couple of days. Arrived this evening and went for a run - I’m staying near Glasgow Green so thought I’d go there but that Bruno Mars twat is playing there tonight so had to change my route... anyone know if it’ll be open tomorrow?

I've no idea to be honest, but you won't be far away from the great run local that i'm pretty sure takes place every Wednesday.  It goes along the Clyde walkway which would probably be the next best choice for a run if the Green is still closed.

Too late now but you're not too far from tollcross parkrun there. Quite a tough route.

Been in Ireland last couple of weeks and did the Sligo Parkrun today. Pretty straightforward course and clocked in at about 19.40. Edging closer to my best.

Was 4th pretty much the whole way round. Boy who won must have been about two minutes clear at least. He was a machine. 2nd and 3rd were a good bit off me too. Loneliest parkrun I've ever done. Was overtaken about 500m in then didn't have anyone near me for the duration!

So happy just done my first ever sub 5min 5k and burst it at 24:27! Pb by nearly 40 seconds! 9 weeks till the Hamilton 10k and hopefully well on track for breaking my target 50mins.
I do of course mean sub 25 min, or sub 5 min/k!

• 4 weeks later...

I went for my first proper run in about 6 years this morning and by Christ I’m unfit. It ended as 2.92km in 15 minutes 20 seconds. When I was 17 I was out at least four times a week and my PB for a 10k was around the 49 minute mark. Not looking to get to that level just yet but I’ve entered the Cumbernauld 10k in September so if I can at least finish that then I’ll be happy. 

Time to chuck the smokes in the meantime. 

I went for my first proper run in about 6 years this morning and by Christ I’m unfit. It ended as 2.92km in 15 minutes 20 seconds. When I was 17 I was out at least four times a week and my PB for a 10k was around the 49 minute mark. Not looking to get to that level just yet but I’ve entered the Cumbernauld 10k in September so if I can at least finish that then I’ll be happy. 
Time to chuck the smokes in the meantime. 
Getting out for that first run was the hardest part. Keep it up regularly and you'll be surprised how quick you will build your fitness. Good to have that goal to aim for too.

On 21/06/2018 at 14:04, Stu said:

Anyone ever managed to do a Gareth Southgate and dislocate their shoulder while running? Unless he's fallen over, ran into something or been hit by a car I can't work out how he's managed it.

Pain in my shin (possibly shinsplints) refuses to go away. Anyone got any tips? Ordered some compression socks on the basis they surely can't make things worse.

I threw my shoulder out its socket playing badminton so I guess it's possible!

Forfar 10k today looking like a wet one which I don't mind tbh as long as it ain't windy with it, looking for a sub 45 minutes but gonna be pushed my times slowly going up the older I get lol. well past the stage of improving.

Forfar 10k today looking like a wet one which I don't mind tbh as long as it ain't windy with it, looking for a sub 45 minutes but gonna be pushed my times slowly going up the older I get lol. well past the stage of improving.

Good luck. Do it in your lichtie shirt

Think I have a shin splint in my right shin. Hurts walking down the stairs let alone going for a run!

Not ideal as a group of friends and I have signed up for the Great Scottish Run half marathon at the end of September. Got a lot of work to do to get my fitness up to scratch

Went through a really good six month spell in the second half of last year. Cut the fags and was running 3 times a week until December.

Had a relapse and have been back on the snouts but have dumped them again and looking to get back out running.

Any tips for getting back into it after 8 months?

Went through a really good six month spell in the second half of last year. Cut the fags and was running 3 times a week until December.

Had a relapse and have been back on the snouts but have dumped them again and looking to get back out running.

I’m struggling for motivation after a 3 month injury layoff. So I also would like some tips

16 minutes ago, Fife Saint said:

I’m just trying to get my breathing side of things right so I wouldn’t go at a high pace. I had my second run a couple of days ago, the same distance and went a minute faster using a slightly lower pace. I’m still trying to get the smokes out my system so I would suggest 15-20 minutes or maybe a little more if you can manage.