P&b Running Club

On the subject of parkruns, a new one started recently on the island of Bressay. Not even Shetland's main island! They still get decent numbers ... 45 on Saturday. Given the population of the island is only 368 that's pretty impressive. 

On the subject of parkruns, a new one started recently on the island of Bressay. Not even Shetland's main island! They still get decent numbers ... 45 on Saturday. Given the population of the island is only 368 that's pretty impressive. 
Compared to 29 at Drumchapel, and it's been a similar story most if not every week. Suspect a chunk of it will be tourists, which Drumchapel won't get much of with 4 other Glasgow runs.

Was at Aviemore parkrun; an undulating course out-and-back along the Speyside way, half under cover of forrest and half with some special views. Difficulty somewhere between Portobello & much nearer Tollcross, but I've not run one like it.

Looking to get into running for the benefit of my fitness and mental health, came across the NHS "couch to 5k" online and wondering if anyone started running in this way- is it effective? Thinking of starting tomorrow as I'm off work this week and may as well spend it productively rather than sit on my arse all day watching Bargain Hunt and Pointless.

Feeling motivated after reading a few posts on here, is it true that running becomes addictive over time?  

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, KezzaRover said:

Looking to get into running for the benefit of my fitness and mental health, came across the NHS "couch to 5k" online and wondering if anyone started running in this way- is it effective? Thinking of starting tomorrow as I'm off work this week and may as well spend it productively rather than sit on my arse all day watching Bargain Hunt and Pointless.

Feeling motivated after reading a few posts on here, is it true that running becomes addictive over time?  

I used that podcast when I started.  Worked well for me.  

Not sure I'd call it addictive, but you definitely do get a wee high after a run and you'll be surprised by how quickly you improve and that definitely motivates you to keep pushing yourself to see what you're capable of.

Have a look at apps for your phone that your GPS.  They'll help you track you progress.  Strava is probably the most popular but there are others out there.

Edited by ark loyal

1 hour ago, KezzaRover said:

The couch to 5k is an excellent way to get into running,as is Parkrun...

There is a Pie & Bovril club on Strava if you're interested....and it's free.

4 hours ago, morrison said:

Compared to 29 at Drumchapel, and it's been a similar story most if not every week. Suspect a chunk of it will be tourists, which Drumchapel won't get much of with 4 other Glasgow runs.

Was at Aviemore parkrun; an undulating course out-and-back along the Speyside way, half under cover of forrest and half with some special views. Difficulty somewhere between Portobello & much nearer Tollcross, but I've not run one like it.

29 is a low turnout....is there some reason it hasn't caught on.?

21 minutes ago, Co.Down Hibee said:

29 is a low turnout....is there some reason it hasn't caught on.?

Cos it's fucking brutal! The course is very narrow at the start so can't really accommodate lots of runners anyway (I was there for the 1st one and it took about 45 seconds to get going despite there only being 100 odd people there). It's not even the fact that it's hilly - the one good thing about going up hills is getting to "relax" a bit when going down the other side. For some of the hills at Drumchapel, they're so steep, windy and gravelly that you find yourself clambering down gingerly, and it seems almost dangerous. 

It's also quite well hidden. Most parkruns take place in open parks ... this one seems almost hidden in some woods in a suburb of Glasgow. Hope they manage to stay going but it's really not for me (even though I'm training for the Millau Viaduct HM next week). 

Incidentally, some of the parkruns abroad struggle to attract double-digits yet seem to keep going happily. 

Right. Bags are packed, medical certificate has been forged, potions, lotions and plasters to help my poor nipples / groin have been bought, unfortunately a new pair of running shoes after a nail when right through the sole at a Parkrun have not been acquired, so I'll have to make do with an old pair.The Millau viaduct race is actually a bit longer than a HM and it's got this brutal incline ....

r131_9_r3_9_calque_159-2.jpg

... so anything even close to 2 hours would be a bonus. 

13 hours ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Right. Bags are packed, medical certificate has been forged, potions, lotions and plasters to help my poor nipples / groin have been bought, unfortunately a new pair of running shoes after a nail when right through the sole at a Parkrun have not been acquired, so I'll have to make do with an old pair.The Millau viaduct race is actually a bit longer than a HM and it's got this brutal incline ....

r131_9_r3_9_calque_159-2.jpg

... so anything even close to 2 hours would be a bonus. 

Good luck with that mate..... looks brutal

Well that was a laugh. All 23.8km of it. Although it was not that much further than a half marathon, I was as weak as a kitten by the end of it. 

The start seemed more like a concentration camp than a race. 

start.thumb.jpg.5e2b5355e0d38d3cd1d82f656065889e.jpg

Can't believe I thought I'd do it in 2 hours. The first 2km were so busy that it was more of a Sunday morning stroll. When it came to the brutal climb, it was like trying to navigate a herd of cattle. Practically everyone was walking so if you can't beat 'em, join 'em. Of course, once you get a taste for walking on a run, that's you walking at the slightest inclination. At one point, a small French child screamed "ALLEZ ALLEZ" at me but my poor lungs implored me to ignore him. 

up.thumb.jpg.4d972cad270297e5908cebecb2203cf2.jpg

Half way along the race (around 12k) coincided with the top of the bridge and I was clocked in at a miserable 1 hour 17 minutes. However, the second half of the race was nearly all downhill so I made up some time, and I took some satisfaction from coasting past my ex who had paused to take some photos. Ended up closer to the 2 hour 20 minute mark, but happy enough since it wasn't really a conventional run. 

Anyway, the best thing about it was the gift bag at the end. Much better than the bag of adverts you get at the Great Scottish Run. In it I got a nice T-shirt, a chunky medal, a Compeed plaster and best of all ...

5b0d218945347_runningpack.jpg.e7ead14bcb76692504653c1358937854.jpg

A tin of lentils. Anybody else had a more bizarre gift for finishing a race?

Edited by Cardinal Richelieu

11 hours ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Well that was a laugh. All 23.8km of it. Although it was not that much further than a half marathon, I was as weak as a kitten by the end of it. 

The start seemed more like a concentration camp than a race. 

Can't believe I thought I'd do it in 2 hours. The first 2km were so busy that it was more of a Sunday morning stroll. When it came to the brutal climb, it was like trying to navigate a herd of cattle. Practically everyone was walking so if you can't beat 'em, join 'em. Of course, once you get a taste for walking on a run, that's you walking at the slightest inclination. At one point, a small French child screamed "ALLEZ ALLEZ" at me but my poor lungs implored me to ignore him. 

up.thumb.jpg.4d972cad270297e5908cebecb2203cf2.jpg

Half way along the race (around 12k) coincided with the top of the bridge and I was clocked in at a miserable 1 hour 17 minutes. However, the second half of the race was nearly all downhill so I made up some time, and I took some satisfaction from coasting past my ex who had paused to take some photos. Ended up closer to the 2 hour 20 minute mark, but happy enough since it wasn't really a conventional run. 

Anyway, the best thing about it was the gift bag at the end. Much better than the bag of adverts you get at the Great Scottish Run. In it I got a nice T-shirt, a chunky medal, a Compeed plaster and best of all ...

A tin of lentils. Anybody else had a more bizarre gift for finishing a race?

Brilliant stuff.  That second photo's great; gives a proper idea of what you had to deal with in getting up and over that.

The cages seem oddly common-place in big events.  I'm pretty sure there were cages in Paris, and in Berlin.  Think there was in Florence  as well.

Can't top lentils...a tin of soup at Loch Ness I'm sure, but then it was sponsored by Baxters so there was some sense in it.  

57 minutes ago, Broomhill Ultra said:

I’m doing the Tiree Ultra in September for the second time. Amazing event in beautiful setting.
http://www.tireefitness.co.uk/tiree-ultramarathon/

I looked at that for this year but it clashes with something else.  I was over for the half a few weeks ago and had a great time.  Looks like the west out of Sandaig and the northern part of the route's off-road?  How'd you find it first time round?

And there was me assuming your username was about the other kind of ultra...

I looked at that for this year but it clashes with something else.  I was over for the half a few weeks ago and had a great time.  Looks like the west out of Sandaig and the northern part of the route's off-road?  How'd you find it first time round?
And there was me assuming your username was about the other kind of ultra...

I trained well but then got injured about six weeks before and barely got out again before it so it was a walk/run slog but still an absolute pleasure to be there. Weather was perfect, unlike last year which looked like a hurricane!

The course sticks to the beach when it can, a good wee bit on the roads and the rest is scrambling through heather, bogs and grassland.

Entry is restricted & fills up really quick so get on the mailing list. Missed the ceilidh as had kids in tow last time but intend to fully enjoy it this year.

I know this is slightly off topic but i walk a good few kilometres from the train station to work and walk about a lot at work.

My current trainers are killing my feet and legs.

Looking for advice on comfy trainers at a decent price 50-60 quid. Probably worth noting i am a size 13 [emoji23] a lot of brands don't go that high.