P&b Running Club

On 01/05/2018 at 23:16, morrison said:
On 30/04/2018 at 22:55, Broomhill Ultra said:

Whereabouts in the Drum is it?

In Garscadden Woods, or something like that. Was there on Saturday, and can confirm you suffer if you go out too fast on the first lap!

Absolutely spot on with that analysis!  I think it's the 5th hilliest in the UK in terms of overall elevation so not for the faint of heart.

Absolutely spot on with that analysis!  I think it's the 5th hilliest in the UK in terms of overall elevation so not for the faint of heart.

Victoria Park is my nearest but will need to give the Drum a go. I heard a rumour there’s interest in starting one in Dawsholm Park. Would be more like a cross country from the bit of it I know.

2 minutes ago, Broomhill Ultra said:

Victoria Park is my nearest but will need to give the Drum a go. I heard a rumour there’s interest in starting one in Dawsholm Park. Would be more like a cross country from the bit of it I know.

That's pretty close to Ruchill.  I sometime wonder about the logic of having Parkun's so close together.   I do like Vic Park, even though it's a 3 laps it's such a nice park it doesn't seem to get boring.

Suppose Glasgow is so densely populated, it's not a bad thing to have so many. If there are people willing to get it off the ground then it can't do any harm to have one in as many parks as possible.

I'm still waiting on one to appear in Rouken Glen that isn't a weans one!

10 hours ago, paul-r-cfc said:

6 in Glasgow too I'm sure

Pollok, Victoria Park, Springburn, Ruchill, Drumchapel, Tollcross.

Linwood and Strathclyde at a stretch too.

Anyone have much experience with injury in the build up to marathon? Planning to run the Edinburgh marathon, but have gone and sprained my ankle. Bit worried with having a 20 miler planned for this week, and having missed 10 days or so of training so far that I'll end up woefully unprepared for the marathon. Anyone got any thoughts on how to deal with it/approach training for now?

Anyone have much experience with injury in the build up to marathon? Planning to run the Edinburgh marathon, but have gone and sprained my ankle. Bit worried with having a 20 miler planned for this week, and having missed 10 days or so of training so far that I'll end up woefully unprepared for the marathon. Anyone got any thoughts on how to deal with it/approach training for now?
For this weekend, I'd ditch it the ankle's definitely sprained/you can't run on it. Forget about it, and either modify or reduce mileage until you're confident it's okay.

Be careful to increase the mileage & intensity slowly - no such thing as 'making up' for missed runs, you'll only injure yourself in new and wonderful ways by trying.

Rather be slightly undertrained on the start line than watching from the bench on the sidelines.

Did the five mile Holyrood Stroll on Tuesday in 34.04 which I was pleased with. First race since November and have had a few issues since then so happy with that. Carlisle Urban Trail on Wednesday.

Slightly concerned that I was done after 13 of my 15 Miles today and was worried I was becoming dehydrated in the heat considering my phone says it was only 17 degrees! Probably didn’t take on enough water beforehand, should avoid that issue in a race because I’ll prepare properly.

Ran 10km for the first time today , 55:36 compared to my usual 26-27 mins for a 5k so fairly chuffed with that . Surprised how similar it felt to 5k was expecting to have to plough through some alternate mental reality from about 7k onwards but in fact my last 2ks were the fastest of the lot !! Never thought I'd hear myself say this but now the thought of building up to a half marathon doesn't seem impossible !

Doing the Great Scottish Run 10k on September 30th.

The most I have ran is 5k, regularly doing Edinburgh parkrun.

How would you lot recommend I up my game in order to ensure I run a respectable 10k time come the big day?

Run 10k before it like 3 or 4 times just dandering along at an easy pace. Get used to running for the longer time and find out if you need to take gels, sweets or whatever with you. Push your 5ks harder and just prepare properly.

You wouldn't prepare for an exam without practicing, treat your new running test the same.

28 minutes ago, jamieson87 said:

How would you lot recommend I up my game in order to ensure I run a respectable 10k time come the big day?

I think between now and then do the Parkrun and another run of a similar distance at a strong pace and do 1 longer run at a slower pace every week,time permitting...also a warm down slow mile after a Parkrun or even before is never a bad thing, more miles the better I always think although I'm far from being an expert.

I've just stepped up to 10k from 5 and what these guys are saying is pretty spot on. Instead of running on my limit for 5k I started taking it back , not much even 20s/km slower and I felt I was running well within myself , and just keep at that pace for longer. Only other thing I would add is try and find a really decent hill and incorporate that into your 5k training runs doing as much uphill as you can at the shorter distance. Good luck !