P&b Running Club

5 hours ago, Reina said:

What's everyone's running goals for this year then? I've struggled with injury all year so my main aim is to stay fit and get my speed back. I've signed up for a run every day in January challenge and have a couple of 5k races coming up that I've signed up for with my son (he's 8 and runs a 24:17 5k - he's beat my 24:27 PB already) but apart from that, I just aim to be able to run and hope to get back to my running club soon. 13 miles done so far this month.

I've signed up to the 1000 mile challenge on Strava, other than that a couple of half marathons later in the year.... staying injury free is the Biggie for me too, haven't ran yet this year due to man-flu and work but planning to do a bit this weekend.

My focus this year is going to be on the shorter distances to try and get my speed back to somewhere near where I was 5 years ago.  Last two years have had marathons that have't gone well for different reasons - so back to basics for me.

I also fancy giving a sprint tri a go if I can improve my swimming and potentially some trail running

On 12/30/2017 at 18:02, Stu said:

Sadly my Brooks Ghost 9s are on the verge of giving up the, er Ghost. Need to get some new shoes, probably stick with Brooks but move up from 9.5 to 10.5. Ghosts are too expensive (they were a present last Christmas so I didn't have to pay). Anyone any experience with the Revel or Launch 4 ones - or recommend any others for £50-£70?

Stu - I hated my brooks when I had them - blame them for my IT band issues that I had a few years back.   I am a slight over pronator and have a wide foot so the Asics GT -1000 series are ideal for me.  I tend to go for the previous years version which means I can pick them up slightly cheaper - you can pick up the GT-1000 5 for about £50-£60.

Could you maybe try the brooks ghost 8s?

No concrete race goals yet for the year but I had a few niggles with my back and knees towards the end of 2017 which I’d like to sort out first before I commit to anything. I’ll probably/hopefully sign up for a local half marathon that’s in April, another in November with half an eye on entering a marathon at some point.

Only 4 tentative miles so far this year as it’s been far too slippy on the roads. Have set myself a target of 750 miles though for 2018.

4 hours ago, diamonds2002 said:

My focus this year is going to be on the shorter distances to try and get my speed back to somewhere near where I was 5 years ago.  Last two years have had marathons that have't gone well for different reasons - so back to basics for me.

I also fancy giving a sprint tri a go if I can improve my swimming and potentially some trail running

Stu - I hated my brooks when I had them - blame them for my IT band issues that I had a few years back.   I am a slight over pronator and have a wide foot so the Asics GT -1000 series are ideal for me.  I tend to go for the previous years version which means I can pick them up slightly cheaper - you can pick up the GT-1000 5 for about £50-£60.

Could you maybe try the brooks ghost 8s?

I managed to get a pair of Brooks Aduro 4s for £50. Waiting on them being delivered and sportsshoes.com seem to have a decent returns policy.

I've signed up for the 1000 mile in 2018 on strava. Plan a couple of marathons and possibly 50k Run the Blades in the summer, or something similar.

I'd love to get 3:30 for the marathon, but anything south of 3:45 would be a massive improvement for me.

Good luck to all the P&B runners, here's to a healthy and injury free year!

Would like to try and average one race a month over the year, so 12 races effectively. Despite all the running I did last year I think I only did six races, although injury and food poisoning kept me out of another two.

Now that Dumfries finally has a parkrun I'll try and do that too. 370 folk at the first one today!

On 04/01/2018 at 22:33, Reina said:

What's everyone's running goals for this year then? I've struggled with injury all year so my main aim is to stay fit and get my speed back. I've signed up for a run every day in January challenge and have a couple of 5k races coming up that I've signed up for with my son (he's 8 and runs a 24:17 5k - he's beat my 24:27 PB already) but apart from that, I just aim to be able to run and hope to get back to my running club soon. 13 miles done so far this month.

That's some cracking running from someone so young.  He'll be breaking some parkrun rules if you don't get your skates on!

I'm doing the January thing as well - a coach from our club is tweeting out suggestions each day under JanJanathon, which I'm loosely using.  So far so good, but it is only six days in... As for the year, I've got London and then the Tiree Half, but no serious aspirations on time in either.  Niggly injury persists a year on!  Tempted to look into an Ultra as well, since my pace has vanished.

I'll take a look into that website; I need new shoes.

First run of the year done , 3.5 km at a steady pace with the odd stop to cough up some phlegm balls (been struck down with the lurgy over the new year ) , first run in new trainers so wary of not overdoing it and causing any problems . Aiming to work towards a 10km this year , max of managed continuous my last year was 6.5km.

First run of the year done , 3.5 km at a steady pace with the odd stop to cough up some phlegm balls (been struck down with the lurgy over the new year ) , first run in new trainers so wary of not overdoing it and causing any problems . Aiming to work towards a 10km this year , max of managed continuous my last year was 6.5km.

Solid start. Good luck mate

I think Tom Tom watches can have music on them, too.
Thanks morrison - I've a few pals at parkrun who run with him - he's still too young for local athletics club, too!

Funnily enough I've ordered one, about 75 euros and comes with Bluetooth headphones.

19 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

Funnily enough I've ordered one, about 75 euros and comes with Bluetooth headphones.

I use a tomtom and cant recommend it highly enough.  They also link to any bluetooth heart rate monitor if that is of interest to you

On day 11 of my run streak and I'm feeling great. This was all about getting back into the habit of running for me, after almost 2 years of not running regularly because of IT band problems. I was a bit worried it would kick off again, but I've been really careful to stretch and foam roll and so far I've not had any issues.

Only problem I've got at the moment is that Garmin is not syncing today's run. Grr.