P&b Running Club

Try and do 5k four nights a week now autumn is kicking in, I prefer running in the dark when it's cooler the streets are a bit quieter. Usually clock in between 25 and 27 mins.

Slight twinge in the ankles and knees every so often but I'm good at knowing when to give it a rest.

Not sure what my motivation is, other than it keeps my gut down a bit and gives me a bit more freedom to make a c**t of it at the weekend.

For anyone who likes numbers (and let's be honest, who doesn't?) here is a spreadsheet / graph of my 5K times since I came back from holiday in July weighing 14st 11lb.

59c0386a82129_ScreenShot2017-09-18at22_17_03.png.1db4316ddea8b23ded71c406091cd58d.png

I now weigh 13st 3lb.

Edited by Gaz

Iv been suffering from a herniated disk for the last month so haven't been able to do any running or cycling. It's been a long month. Finally felt good enough to go out for a run after work tonight. 2.9 miles done in 26 minutes. Absolutely shocking time but it wasn't about that, just happy to be running pain free.

On ‎17‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 17:14, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Anyone do Auchterarder half today? My injuries have more or less ended my running career, but I just wanted to apologise for not bothering my bahookie to wave at you going by haha

The Auchterarder HM  was a superbly organised event, which for their first attempt at it is pretty impressive. I now expect all goody bags to include beer.  And starting/finishing at Gleneagles meant instead of the usual portaloos you got nice toilets with designer soap and luxury handcreams!

Lovely scenic route, but after an easy first half down to Strathallan Castle estate, the last 5 miles were a pretty incessant uphill climb. So not a PB course, but I somehow managed one. Got to mention the guy who ran it barefoot, I winced as I watched him overtake me on a gravelly trail section, ouch.

1 hour ago, Yngwie said:

The Auchterarder HM  was a superbly organised event, which for their first attempt at it is pretty impressive. I now expect all goody bags to include beer.  And starting/finishing at Gleneagles meant instead of the usual portaloos you got nice toilets with designer soap and luxury handcreams!

Lovely scenic route, but after an easy first half down to Strathallan Castle estate, the last 5 miles were a pretty incessant uphill climb. So not a PB course, but I somehow managed one. Got to mention the guy who ran it barefoot, I winced as I watched him overtake me on a gravelly trail section, ouch.

Great to hear, I know a few folk who did it and am pretty jealous tbh.

Which brings me to...

23 hours ago, Ross. said:

After a few years off I've started again. So far no pain in the knee or hip. Managed just under 6km in around 32 minutes the other night. Horrendous time compared to what I used to hammer in but I'm just happy there have been no ill effects. Doubtful I'll ever drop the minute odd per km I have lost, not even sure I am interested in doing it. If I can manage 10k again at some point, that'll do.

This is almost word for word something I could have written, Exchange knee or hip pain for Achilles/calf catastrophes and you are me. Only thing is when I look back at my old Garmin records I was out 4 times a week and the thought of making time for that now is just uurghhh.

Usually go for a run before work on a Wednesday. Wasn't feeling it all this morning - hardly slept, felt crap even before I got going and never really got into it. So, weirdly, it was the quickest pace I've set for that particular route!

Going to have to change my early morning ones soon sadly as there's a couple of miles I use with no street lights and I can barely see where I'm going.

Usually go for a run before work on a Wednesday. Wasn't feeling it all this morning - hardly slept, felt crap even before I got going and never really got into it. So, weirdly, it was the quickest pace I've set for that particular route!
Going to have to change my early morning ones soon sadly as there's a couple of miles I use with no street lights and I can barely see where I'm going.

Your body must've really wanted it over and done with! Unexpected progress is the best.

I'm not traditionally a morning person at all, but have got into the habit of running to work 2/3 times a week since I moved further out of town. It's only around 3.5 miles & I'm sure the novelty will wear off as the dark and cold closes in, but enjoying it for now.

First time I ran a sub 25 min 5k was the morning after me n the Mrs had done in a couple bottles of red wine , 6.30am felt like shit and when I got back I realised I still had the red wine lips! Knocked about 2 mins off my previous pb!

First time I ran a sub 25 min 5k was the morning after me n the Mrs had done in a couple bottles of red wine , 6.30am felt like shit and when I got back I realised I still had the red wine lips! Knocked about 2 mins off my previous pb!

Thanks for the tip.

That's pretty similar to our work, by the sounds of it! I know a few folk doing the Half and others doing the 10k. I'm doing neither.

I did watch the Berlin marathon yesterday, though. Kipchoge is an absolute machine! A great race, just a shame the record didn't go.

Got my last long run before Chicago out of the way. Made the error of leaving a b*****d of a hill until the 18th mile on my route, but otherwise all good!

Done the Scottish half marathon in Edinburgh on Sunday perfect running conditions cloudy and windless managed to sneak in a sub 1 hour 35 mins so happy with that on a pretty fast course,anyone else there? Noticed some blood on my running shirt at the end but hadn't felt it through the race but had my first case of nipple chafe:opretty common apparently. Stung like hell when i got showered though.Gonna have to use another running top in future i think.

Edited by keptie

Guest bernardblack
Anyone doing the Half Marathon in Glasgow next week? Half my work signed up for it and have now pulled out for various reasons :lol:

Will be my third time doing it....just missed sub two hours both times so hope to get under this time!

13 minutes ago, bernardblack said:

Will be my third time doing it....just missed sub two hours both times so hope to get under this time!

This will be my 4th time. All three times I've run in the region of 1:50. This year I'm not going to high-five every kid with their arm outstretched, so that should take a couple of minutes off my time!

4 hours ago, keptie said:

Done the Scottish half marathon in Edinburgh on Sunday perfect running conditions cloudy and windless managed to sneak in a sub 1 hour 35 mins so happy with that on a pretty fast course,anyone else there? Noticed some blood on my running shirt at the end but hadn't felt it through the race but had my first case of nipple chafe:opretty common apparently. Stung like hell when i got showered though.Gonna have to use another running top in future i think.

Put vaseline on your nipples before you start. Should stop it happening.