P&b Running Club

Parkrun at Strathy yesterday was unremarkable except for the heartwarming moment when my boss whom I inveigled along (and who hadn't exercised in nearly two years), was struggling in the last half K. Some kindly elderly gentleman slowed down to give him encouragement. And the pair of them ran neck-and-neck to the finish. Cue the almost farcical scenes where they were both trying to persuade each other to cross the line first. Long after the barcodes were scanned, they were hugging and congratulating each other. Lovely stuff. 

Edited by Cardinal Richelieu

Back in the running groove after backing off it for a while and getting talked into entering the Dundee HAM.Done a 10 miler today i'd almost forgotten the delights of running into a 20+ mph wind for 5 miles,lovely.Training going quite well though and actually beginning to look forward to it now but there are moments you still ask yourself why the hell are you doing this...mental battle more than anything.

Edited by keptie

Need to get back into the old running malarky. Just wish there was anything that motivated me as much as that old Nike+ website. Reading the start of this thread has me incredibly nostalgic :(

Parkrun at Strathy yesterday was unremarkable except for the heartwarming moment when my boss whom I inveigled along (and who hadn't exercised in nearly two years), was struggling in the last half K. Some kindly elderly gentleman slowed down to give him encouragement. And the pair of them ran neck-and-neck to the finish. Cue the almost farcical scenes where they were both trying to persuade each other to cross the line first. Long after the barcodes were scanned, they were hugging and congratulating each other. Lovely stuff. 

That's what I love about parkrun. Great atmosphere at every different one I've been to. Greenock was cancelled yesterday with the powerboat racing thing on the clyde. Luckily our running club had a hill race one. Absolutely brutal, 27 mins up and 17 mins down!!

Was also at the Black Rock race on Friday - definitely my favourite race in the calendar, but it's never an easy one! This year it was the wind on the way out making it horrible but I've come out with pretty much the same time as last year which I'm happy with. Also happy with the bottle of beer at the end!

• 2 weeks later...

How are folk running at the moment? I'm going quite well and have entered Moffat hill race tomorrow, which is seemingly a bit tough.

Unfortunately, my calf has been giving me problems for the last day or so. It seems a bit tight and was wondering if there's any advice to help sort the problem for tomorrow night? Have been doing a couple of stretches but are there any particularly good ones? Would sitting the problem area on top of a hot water bottle help or should I stick ice on it instead?

I looking to do a bit of trail running over the summer (when I get back from my holidays).  Looking at trainers just now if anyone has any recommendations for off-road shoes?

I tried some adidas shoes but they were too narrow for me And what I have read about the inov-8 and the salomons is that they can be on the neat side

I looking to do a bit of trail running over the summer (when I get back from my holidays).  Looking at trainers just now if anyone has any recommendations for off-road shoes?
I tried some adidas shoes but they were too narrow for me And what I have read about the inov-8 and the salomons is that they can be on the neat side

I got some salomon crosstrail 4s and would recommend them. Certainly wider in the toes than the threes however they can get quite uncomfortable on any distance on the road

Normally when I do the Parkrun I wear a watch to time myself but today I decided just to run and ended up getting a PB of 26:19, a full two minutes faster than last week. Surprised as I thought I was nearer to 30 minutes. Going to just run 'blind' from now on I think.

Normally when I do the Parkrun I wear a watch to time myself but today I decided just to run and ended up getting a PB of 26:19, a full two minutes faster than last week. Surprised as I thought I was nearer to 30 minutes. Going to just run 'blind' from now on I think.

Well done mate

Good turn out for the Dundee half and full marathons on Sunday, done the half in 1.36.44 which i was happy enough with considering it was my first race for a couple of years,bit of a cock up with the clock at the finish but it went ok with a good bit of welcome support from the locals en route.Anyone else do either?

The old legs were protesting strongly on Monday though. 

Tried to top my furthest ever distance (23 miles) this morning but ended up having to stop at 19.5 and walk the rest as I was done in. Pretty annoyed at myself for giving up but I'd run out of steam and suppose I should still be happy for going such a long way.

• 2 weeks later...

Ran my 2nd parkrun on Saturday. Wanted to beat my previous time of 23.14 so was delighted to run 22.42.

I need to pace myself better though. The final mile was an absolute struggle as I went out far too quick. I suppose il learn in time how to make it easier.

49 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Ran my 2nd parkrun on Saturday. Wanted to beat my previous time of 23.14 so was delighted to run 22.42.

I need to pace myself better though. The final mile was an absolute struggle as I went out far too quick. I suppose il learn in time how to make it easier.

Well done mate , I think Parkrun is a tricky one to pace in all honesty because it's a short distance you tend to just go for it.