P&b Running Club

11 hours ago, true_rover said:

Haven't posted in a little while. Stirling Marathon training now into full swing - 14 miles today at a nice consistent pace as the miles start to build up.
@eddiemunster 21 miles is about right, most training plans will top off at 20 or 22 so no harm in splitting that difference!

I'm doing Stirling as well, hope the weather is nice as the course looks lovely. Sounds like you're well on track with your training.

Cheers for confirming what I hoped would be a sensible distance to train up to. I'm not really following a set plan, just 3 shorter runs midweek and longer distance at the weekend. So far so good, but at 17 just now the thought of another 9 at the back of it freaks me out a bit.

I'll be in Stirling too. You'll find the crowd on the day - both the supporters and your fellow runners - boost your energy a wee bit. It makes a difference when you're normally plodding along yourself in training!

Apologies if I'm preaching to the converted, but be sure to take it easy on your long runs. Even a minute per mile slower than you plan to go on the day. It'll take longer but recovery is less painful, so you can get more out of your shorter, faster stuff during the week.

Got my first 20-miler of the year in and went for a nap after. Was shattered!

Cheers Morrison, you're right enough, I had to reign myself in a couple of times at the weekend as was nearing 8 minute miles once or twice. I put it down to the horrible weather and just wanting it done asap.

I'm aiming for 9 minute miles or thereabouts on the day, so will bear your advice in mind on the coming long training runs.

As for recovery, I've found giving my legs a going over with the foam roller as part of my post run stretching has made a huge difference. I'd recommend getting one to anyone doing a lot of running.

As a fairly lazy b*****d I've hardly been out running, been swimming instead.
Today was the first outside run of the year for me, 6km in 35 minutes.

Need to get into a better routine to lose the beer belly I think, cutting out drink would help but I enjoy a pint too much when I'm out to be honest

Cut off for great north run ballot today. Done it thrice swithering on whether to sign up or not only considering it as would like to get under 1hour 30. Fucking expensive though plus in Spain couple of weeks before run so won't be able to keep to plan

Edit to add decision made despite them saying ballot closing today it has already closed. thought I had all fucking day

Combination of man flu, not getting much sleep and going out tonight meant I opted for Linwood Parkrun rather than a ridiculously long run today. Wanted to do it in 21 minutes or quicker so that I could average 7 minute miles. Managed the latter but ended up at 21:01! That last 0.1mile must make all the difference.

Was at Edinburgh parkrun this morning, never run in such ridiculous weather in my life!

Blowing a gale, hall, sleet all made for an interesting run - and two minutes quicker on the way back than out to be just inside 21 minutes. Best described as character building!

16 miles planned for tomorrow so I hope that the weather improves a little.

Anyone ever accidentally deleted a run on your watch? Done a speed session with the club tonight and got in the car, looked at the watch and it said "activity discarded". Touch screen to blame, but not sure how I managed it. Raging.

10 hours ago, tigerton said:

Anyone ever accidentally deleted a run on your watch? Done a speed session with the club tonight and got in the car, looked at the watch and it said "activity discarded". Touch screen to blame, but not sure how I managed it. Raging.

Yeah there's been a few times I've gone running and my tracker hasn't started or it's stopped halfway through for some reason.

Makes you think - if you go for a run and Strava doesn't record it, were you really running?

Guest bernardblack
Yeah there's been a few times I've gone running and my tracker hasn't started or it's stopped halfway through for some reason.
Makes you think - if you go for a run and Strava doesn't record it, were you really running?

Was discussing this at work today. Nothing quite ruins a run and makes you go in early than the tracker/app somehow pausing etc

It happened to me the other night and I was genuinely upset!

My watch died about a mile from home once. I stopped, sulked, and seriously contemplated walking home in protest. But it'dve taken longer.

I've also had one run that didn't sync to Strava (devastating) and one that corrupted before even making it to Garmin. Most upsetting.

Anyway, I've been back running this week after a cold kept me out of action for a bit. Feels pretty good.

Anybody got any opinions on salomon speedcross trainers or Inov8 talons for cross country racing. Courses I race usually around 6 miles with maby a mile of that being on tarmac and two to three miles on fire roads. Although some courses can be slippery as hell. So looking for a good all rounder.

Anybody got any opinions on salomon speedcross trainers or Inov8 talons for cross country racing.

I use the speedcross and have found them to be absolutely fine. They are the only trail shoes I've ever had, mind, so I've nothing to compare with.

57 miles down this past week, finishing with 21 to Linlithgow today. The canal path's being upgraded and I think it'll be paved all the way - at least that far - soon. It'll make it cycle-friendly, as a nice bonus; it ruined my tyres in its old state.

Did 10km on Friday night and another 6km on Sunday morning.  Got the Inverness half on March 12th - need to fit in three or four long runs of 14km+ before then - planning one on Thursday and again on Sunday this week.  I've had a couple of challenges - my usual route, the Union Canal pathway, is closed so I've had to negotiate my way around there; I've also been working a lot of 7am starts and am pretty tired when I get home.  Going to have to be disciplined when it comes to sleep and get to bed between 9pm and 10pm so i can be at my freshest. 

18 miles into Glasgow on Saturday, faded badly and hit a massive whitey at the end. Never spewed but wasn't far off it.

In hindsight I hadn't eaten enough in the morning and the previous nights dinner was probably a bit rich. First I've felt that bad on a long run, will be hard to put it out my mind for the next long yin.