P&b Running Club

3 hours ago, eddiemunster said:

Yep down to auchinstarry and along the canal to spiers wharf. I started feeling sore at Milton, but stopping there, Possil or Ruchill wasn't an option. The slums of Glasgow can be quite a useful motivational tool. Great training route though. I will have a go at the full distance from Falkirk to Glasgow in the summer I think.

I often jog around ferguslie park. It keeps you moving!

1 hour ago, Rowan said:

This invalidates the record set by winner Callum Hawkins and the personal best times recorded by a number of runners on the day.

Mine included! I just won't tell anyone though :)

I do have a question about this though. Obviously, the road is quite wide throughout the race. Therefore, is the route measured as if you were taking the "racing line", or the slowest route - or somewhere in between?

22 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

This invalidates the record set by winner Callum Hawkins and the personal best times recorded by a number of runners on the day.

I do have a question about this though. Obviously, the road is quite wide throughout the race. Therefore, is the route measured as if you were taking the "racing line", or the slowest route - or somewhere in between?

There are a couple of runners world articles on how the process works 

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/interview/rw-interviews-hugh-jones-olympic-course-measurer/8360.html

http://www.runnersworld.com/general-interest/elite-course-measurer-im-a-real-pain-for-some-race-directors

and a website all about it

http://coursemeasurement.org.uk/

On 29/01/2017 at 10:26, Stu said:

Bit annoyed with myself this week. Usually go for a run on Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Sunday with possibly track on Thursday thrown in. This week as I'm off and am doing other things I've been Monday and Thursday before chickening out yesterday due to the rain and today due to the frost and ice (even though it wasn't that bad). Ridiculous that I feel bad all day just for missing out on some exercise, hopefully this isn't the start of me losing interest.

Had planned to do shorter ones today and tomorrow after missing out yesterday, hopefully a very long one tomorrow will help balance it out.

Well today sorted that problem - just over 23 miles in just over 3 hours. Furthest and longest I've ever done :)

Edited by Stu

I'd like to get into running but at the moment find it rather tedious.

I'm not particularly fit at the moment so find running any real distance a bit of a struggle and can't seem to let my mind wander the same as I can when out walking. A few questions for those who run regularly?

Does it ever become vaguely enjoyable?

Does the enjoyment come from the running itself or the sense of achievement afterwards knowing you've put in a good shift, run your longest to date, beaten a personal best etc?

26 minutes ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

1) I'm not particularly fit at the moment so find running any real distance a bit of a struggle and can't seem to let my mind wander the same as I can when out walking. A few questions for those who run regularly?

2) Does it ever become vaguely enjoyable?

3) Does the enjoyment come from the running itself or the sense of achievement afterwards knowing you've put in a good shift, run your longest to date, beaten a personal best etc?

1) You don't have to worry about running real distance just yet. I first took up running when a game of fives I was due to play in got cancelled. At that time I was playing fives three or four times a week and playing for the P&B team as well, and thought it would be easy. I lasted 200 metres before thinking I was going to die of an asthma attack.

Just run for as long as you can manage. If you need to stop, stop. If you need to walk for a bit, then do that. Loads of folk let their egos get the better of them when they first start running and think they must run ALL the distance, which leads to burnout and injuries.

The more you do this, the further you'll be able to go each time.

2) Yes, very much so.

3) A bit of both. Sometimes it can be a real slog. But then the endorphins kick in and you get a second wind, and when that happens and the adrenaline starts surging it's like nothing I can describe. It's an amazing feeling.

Also when you get home there is an enormous sense of self-satisfaction. With regards to PBs and suchlike, it depends how seriously you want to take it. I went from being really unfit to running 10Ks in under 44 minutes. There's no way I could do that now, but I'd like to get as fit as that again.

25 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

There's something really satisfying about plugging yourself in to a podcast and just running for a couple of hours. I'm in terrible shape at the moment, really need to get running regularly again. Particularly as I've got the Edinburgh half in a few months.

I couldn't go running without podcasts. only thing that makes it bearable. The few occasions I've not been able to use them have been horrendous.

1 hour ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

I'm not particularly fit at the moment so find running any real distance a bit of a struggle and can't seem to let my mind wander the same as I can when out walking. A few questions for those who run regularly?

Does it ever become vaguely enjoyable?

Does the enjoyment come from the running itself or the sense of achievement afterwards knowing you've put in a good shift, run your longest to date, beaten a personal best etc?

A good place to start may be a jogscotland group, which total beginners go from nothing to being able to run for 20 minutes/2km in 10 weeks: http://jogscotland.org.uk/ I think there's a few apps that help such as Couch to 5k but with jogscotland you get to meet other people and it's a bit easier doing it in a group. Good luck :)

I do find running vaguely enjoyable, but tbh, I wouldn't do it if I couldn't listen to music / podcasts, and I'd never do it without taking Runkeeper. I always like to know my time / pace / distance etc, even if I'm miles off a PB (which I am at the moment). 

Heard a rumour that the Arran Marathon I signed up for, there is a ban on earphones. If so, that's going to be grim. 

6 hours ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

In short, it should be measured as if you were taking the racing line. However, the race organizers measured the length of the course with the roads open to the public, and hence couldnt take the racing line at all occasions. They also said that there was confusion over a 50m stretch in Bellahouston park that was missed out during the race.

If roads weren't closed, presumably it wasn't possible to measure the section on the M8 at all? When course measurers can't take the actual line they have ways of allowing for the difference, but if they couldn't get on that bit at all, did they just have to estimate it from a map? I'd normally say it's just one of these things, but given what they charge to enter that race, it does seem pretty poor. Unforseen things do happen though I suppose, and if the roadworks that apprently prevented a proper measure were unplanned, it may well have made it difficult. That measure was more than a month before the race though.

I pretty much agree with Gaz's answers in post #7452, which has saved me a bit of work!

It's a shame about the GSR - I wonder whether they've measured Stirling right?! Wouldn't mind a short marathon... In all seriousness, a few clubmates ran PBs there last year, so a bit gutted for them.

Training's ticking away nicely. Had a good long run on Sunday where I hit the marathon-paced segments. Glutes are tight, though; really need to get better at stretching and strengthening exercises.

Nine miles in 90 minutes yesterday, the Slateford Aqueduct is shut so my normal route went a bit haywire, otherwise I would've done it a wee bit quicker I think.

I can only echo the answers above, I'm not a very fast runner but I get loads of enjoyment out of it, it's a tremendous feeling.

Another 17 miles along the canal yesterday in the cold and pishing rain, legs still screaming towards the end. Hoping they will improve with a few more tries before I can add another mile or two on.

For any marathon runners out there, is it right enough to just train up to 21 miles?