P&b Running Club

I know this is slightly off topic but i walk a good few kilometres from the train station to work and walk about a lot at work.

My current trainers are killing my feet and legs.

Looking for advice on comfy trainers at a decent price 50-60 quid. Probably worth noting i am a size 13 [emoji23] a lot of brands don't go that high.
Depends really on the individual, best thing to do would be go and try a few pairs on and get some advice in the shop.
Where is the pain? If u say its killing your feet and legs I'd check if maybe youre tying them too tight! Sounds silly I know but that killed me when I started running, aching arches and right up my shins and calfs after hardly any distance at all and all solved by lossening them off a bit.

I know this is slightly off topic but i walk a good few kilometres from the train station to work and walk about a lot at work.

Looking for advice on comfy trainers at a decent price 50-60 quid. Probably worth noting i am a size 13 [emoji23] a lot of brands don't go that high.
Best place to go is probably one of the outlet shops - will have a decent range of mostly last year's models but at about half the price. Probably have a better range for the bigger sizes that don't sell as much!

Best place to go is probably one of the outlet shops - will have a decent range of mostly last year's models but at about half the price. Probably have a better range for the bigger sizes that don't sell as much!
This! I got a pair of Nike Air Relentless 6 at the outlet in EK for I think £35. Far more comfy than any other shoe I'd ran in and half the price as the next model was out.

Was speaking to someone earlier who is taking part in a race against a train from Boat of Garten to Aviemore on Saturday. Sounds great! https://www.strathspeyrailway.co.uk/race-the-train/

From what I can work out you'd need to do 7k inside 33 minutes (going by the timetable) to make it in time. Would fancy my chances if I was running on a road but it's on the Speyside Way.

On 31/05/2018 at 11:55, JamesP_81 said:

Depends really on the individual, best thing to do would be go and try a few pairs on and get some advice in the shop.
Where is the pain? If u say its killing your feet and legs I'd check if maybe youre tying them too tight! Sounds silly I know but that killed me when I started running, aching arches and right up my shins and calfs after hardly any distance at all and all solved by lossening them off a bit.

I've tried loosening them and tightening them, just think they are a crap pair of trainers. They are climacools, got them when i was younger and they were the comfiest things ever, the new versions are shite. Soles on them are solid.

On 31/05/2018 at 11:56, true_rover said:
On 31/05/2018 at 10:19, sergie said:

Looking for advice on comfy trainers at a decent price 50-60 quid. Probably worth noting i am a size 13 emoji23.png a lot of brands don't go that high.

Cheers will have a look on google.

Had a pair of new balance ones for walking the dog and they were super comfy. 

Made it round the Alloa half-marathon yesterday. Was expecting a nice cool run but the heat got pretty brutal right at the start of the race. 

Was hoping for anything under 2 hours and managed it by 11 seconds! Killer of a hill at the 11 mile mark. Brutal climb but big thankyou to the wifey who was sitting outside her house playing the Rocky theme as I got to the top.

On 5/31/2018 at 21:09, Stu said:

Was speaking to someone earlier who is taking part in a race against a train from Boat of Garten to Aviemore on Saturday. Sounds great! https://www.strathspeyrailway.co.uk/race-the-train/

From what I can work out you'd need to do 7k inside 33 minutes (going by the timetable) to make it in time. Would fancy my chances if I was running on a road but it's on the Speyside Way.

there is a famous event down in Wales that is similar might be a bit further than 7k advertised here - I hadnt heard about this one but I am up for it next year if they do it again.

http://www.racethetrain.com/

Looks like 14 miles cross -country - ouch!

Guest bernardblack

Signed up for the Edinburgh marathon next year.....will be my first full marathon. 

Got the dundee half in July and Glasgow in october....anyone recommend anything between october and the marathon to keep me ticking over? (descending into a fat mess over christmas)

11 hours ago, Broomhill Ultra said:

Anyone else doing the Glasgow Men’s 10k on Sunday?. Tend to prefer the smaller events these days but looking forward to this.

I set my current PB at the Edinburgh version a few years ago - it is net downhill, though!  The medal was pretty cool...have fun!

9 hours ago, bernardblack said:

Signed up for the Edinburgh marathon next year.....will be my first full marathon. 

Got the dundee half in July and Glasgow in october....anyone recommend anything between october and the marathon to keep me ticking over? (descending into a fat mess over christmas)

The obvious shouts are Alloa and Inverness Half Marathons, traditionally a week apart in March.

Before Christmas there's the Jimmy Irvine Bella' 10k in Glasgow or the Edinburgh Men's 10k, both November from memory.  Also the Nigel Barge Memorial in Glasgow (10k) in late January.  They're the main ones that spring to mind.

Balloch to Clydebank half is early March.

Can anybody recommend a decent run tracker app? Have used map my run for a couple of years quite happily but in the last week it has just decided to start cutting out intermittently which is incredibly frustrating as I quite enjoy taking unscheduled detours rather than a set route every day.

Can anybody recommend a decent run tracker app? Have used map my run for a couple of years quite happily but in the last week it has just decided to start cutting out intermittently which is incredibly frustrating as I quite enjoy taking unscheduled detours rather than a set route every day.
I use strava which I find to be decent.

Strava is very good, even the free version gives very detailed stats. My TomTom uploads to Strava & it’s own app so don’t need to take phone every time.

I’ve started almost daily miles. Just walking Have lost all my fitness in last couple years but bout sepsis and pnumonia given me kick up ass.

Centre Parcs next week so lots cycling and then try and pick up couch 5k. 

Anyone ever managed to do a Gareth Southgate and dislocate their shoulder while running? Unless he's fallen over, ran into something or been hit by a car I can't work out how he's managed it.

Pain in my shin (possibly shinsplints) refuses to go away. Anyone got any tips? Ordered some compression socks on the basis they surely can't make things worse.