P&b Running Club

Was back at Cramond yesterday for the first time in a while.  Brilliant morning for a parkrun, and happy with 21 mins considering I've only ran once in 6 weeks before that.

Tentatively planning a couple of short runs a week before the Tiree half in a few weeks.  That includes a trip to Alness parkrun when I'm up next weekend for the Motherwell game.

Slightly behind with the training for Stirling so 11 miles last night, then hopefully 20 tomorrow and then a shorter taper of 10 days for the marathon.

Not ideal, but I think I'll feel better getting one last big run done.  Under 4 hours is the first goal, then as close to 3:45 as I can. Fingers crossed.

Last week I developed a horrible pain in my left glute that went down my left leg. I was hobbling and couldn't bend down on that side.
It's better now but I still feel a pain in my left butt cheek in the muscles deep in, I should probably see a physio right?

23 minutes ago, FFCinthearea said:

It's got the same elevation as Falkirk but it's much harder due to it's undulating nature.

Aye, Falkirk has a long steady hill just after the start and then one massive hill about halfway through. This was just up and down and up and down.

There's a great website that shows the elevation of each Parkrun course in the UK.

Clicky

Strathclyde is the flattest course in Scotland, elevation of just 9 feet. 9 feet!

Drumchapel the hilliest at 424 feet. That's insane over a 5K course.

Drumchapel is the only parkrun course where i have just stopped halfway round.  Nothing to do with the hilliness per se, as i always think "what goes up must come down"  - it was just far too narrow and the descents were unpleasant.  On the second lap i could see my car and just went "f*** this".  I then went elsewhere for a hilly 6 mile run...  I just didn't enjoy it at all.  To put this in context, i really enjoy Tollcross.

I'm not sure why it was needed either, with so many others within a few miles.  In Glasgow, it is south of the river rather than north which could do with another parkrun.

Edited by Wee Bully

18 minutes ago, Wee Bully said:

Drumchapel is the only parkrun course where i have just stopped halfway round.  Nothing to do with the hilliness per se, as i always think "what goes up must come down"  - it was just far too narrow and the descents were unpleasant.  On the second lap i could see my car and just went "f*** this".  I then went elsewhere for a hilly 6 mile run...  I just didn't enjoy it at all.  To put this in context, i really enjoy Tollcross.

I'm not sure why it was needed either, with so many others within a few miles.  In Glasgow, it is south of the river rather than north which could do with another parkrun.

Agreed. I've postulated on this thread before that it would be much better if it was run in reverse. Especially the twisty bit near the start which is impossible to run down but would be straightforward to run up.  I did the first one (and my last one there!) and there were far too many people for such a narrow course, but I can't see this being much of a problem given the relatively few people who do it each week. 

There's a great website that shows the elevation of each Parkrun course in the UK.
Clicky
Strathclyde is the flattest course in Scotland, elevation of just 9 feet. 9 feet!
Strathclyde park is my local one , my usual 5km route I do around my house has 88m elevation change , first time I done Strathy I took about 4 minutes off my fastest time !!!

1 hour ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Agreed. I've postulated on this thread before that it would be much better if it was run in reverse. Especially the twisty bit near the start which is impossible to run down but would be straightforward to run up.  I did the first one (and my last one there!) and there were far too many people for such a narrow course, but I can't see this being much of a problem given the relatively few people who do it each week. 

I would agree with that.  Didn't help that there was a dog walker coming up when we were going down.  As i said, i have never chucked one before, but i just found it really unenjoyable. 

2 hours ago, JamesP_81 said:
5 hours ago, Gaz said:
Clicky

Strathclyde park is my local one , my usual 5km route I do around my house has 88m elevation change , first time I done Strathy I took about 4 minutes off my fastest time !!!

Likewise, I did a PB at Strathy (22:30ish) the week before I did Drumchapel where I clocked in around the 28 minute mark. 

I've only chucked one parkrun ... Tollcross during the crap weather a few months ago. Should have realised it would be the alternate course, but it was 4 laps running up and down a muddy hill. I'd only done the first lap when I had an overwhelming need for a shit, so I legged it towards the swimming pool to make use of the facilities, much to the alarm of the steward who thought I had taken a wrong turn. 

Edited by Cardinal Richelieu

7 hours ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Likewise, I did a PB at Strathy (22:30ish) the week before I did Drumchapel where I clocked in around the 28 minute mark. 

I parkrun PB'd at Strathclyde as well, on my only visit there. Lasted a week until I beat it at Livingston!

Building up the nerve to head to Drumchapel...maybe over the summer at some point. I've heard too much about it not to try.