P&b Running Club

11 miles in heavy snow today, thought I'd made a terrible mistake midway through when I was up to my knees on the canal towpath.

Miles 7-9 were all uphill and getting any sort of purchase was impossible, so slipped and slided as best I could. My hips are absolutely aching, must have been using different muscles trying to get some grip.

Feeling quite pleased I've got the miles in the bag. Means I can enjoy a couple of glasses with my Sunday dinner.

I've signed up for Stirling so every weekend counts from now till April.

I've done more miles in January than I did in the whole of 2017. Up yours, IT band. Enjoyed Loch Morlich on Sunday there. The course was almost 1km too long, but hey ho, it was great fun - though really tough in the snow!

I loved parkrun this morning. Fastest I've done in a LONG time. I'm still nowhere near PB territory, but I'm on the right track. 27:23 for the 5k this morning which is a massive improvement for me. And I've now run 27 days in row. Plan for Feb is to work on strength, core and speed. :thumsup2 Once I get my speed back up, I'll be happy to go back to my club.

Great to hear, Reina!

Had my quickest parkrun for an age yesterday which felt pretty good, but I did struggle at the end. Work to do. Had an absolute slog of an 11 mile run earlier; just glad to get it done!

That's 28 days straight for the month, and can't wait until Thursday for a day off!

If you can do 11, you'll manage 13.1, honest. I've done a few now, and toying with the idea of entering another as it's a distance I don't feel I've ever done it justice. Maybe do Aviemore again - I'd recommend it as it's mostly downhill (apart from a stinker of an uphill - Husky Hill - at the start of mile 3...).

7 minutes ago, Reina said:

If you can do 11, you'll manage 13.1, honest. I've done a few now, and toying with the idea of entering another as it's a distance I don't feel I've ever done it justice. Maybe do Aviemore again - I'd recommend it as it's mostly downhill (apart from a stinker of an uphill - Husky Hill - at the start of mile 3...).

Aye, but my knee is really sore now!  Seriously, you're right, I could do it, but the training would have to limited to 15-20 miles per week I think.  Reckon I could possibly do sub 1 hour 30 min so that's a good target to aim for.

Aviemore is a bit far away for me but the Alloa half is in March...

I've been crippled with tendonitis in the achilles all winter. I bit the bullet and paid for a physio to look at it and the stretches I've been doing have allowed me to start trying to get back into it. I managed a 5k in 23.15 and a 4 mile in under 32 minutes over the weekend.

I have to admit I'm delighted with the times because I thought I'd lost a lot of the speed I'd gained after two months, however my achilles still feels tight (especially after them both and I'm reluctant to push myself any further just in case it goes again), and still doing stretches as well as icing it, but it's a long slog. I don't really want to push myself any more than 4 miles 2-3 times a week for now.

I might invest in a watch though because the strava app on my phone doesn't seem to maintain it's GPS and it's infuriating.

23 hours ago, Gnash said:

Aye, but my knee is really sore now!  Seriously, you're right, I could do it, but the training would have to limited to 15-20 miles per week I think.  Reckon I could possibly do sub 1 hour 30 min so that's a good target to aim for.

Aviemore is a bit far away for me but the Alloa half is in March...

Where is the pain in your knee? Outside? Inside? Front?

4 hours ago, gingette said:

Run club cancelled tonight due to weather

So plan is to sign up for some races tonight

What's wrong with the weather? I almost ended up in the North Sea tonight :lol: Wild out there!

Runuary done. 100.6 miles for January. I'm beyond chuffed considering where I started the year. Been injured for too long.

First run today since Monday last week due to a sore foot (and the weather being pish yesterday). Was Ok for the most part, got a bit sore again the last few miles so will need to wait and see what it's like tomorrow. Hope it's cleared up because it's been pretty frustrating lately.

Looking to get a bit of motivation to start again.

I know on Strava you can search by segment and it will tell you that segment's fastest time, but is there anywhere that can do the same but for a longer route?

So, for example, suppose I fancied to run 6k. Is there anywhere I can see maps of people who have run 6k around where I stay and try to beat their time etc.?

Not sure about Strava, @Gaz, but I'm sure there's a facility on Map My Run where you can search for local routes that people have done.

Did just over 7.5 miles earlier. Was only supposed to do 6 and I grinned and waved like a loon at someone I thought was my friend on her bike, but it turned out to be someone else who I didn't know... Oh well. It was a good run!