P&b Running Club

On 11/4/2017 at 14:03, Stellaboz said:

Can anyone recommend a cheap running watch, Strava or whatever? I feel like it could help improve my times.

It depends on how much you want to spend and what you want it to do.

I have the Tomtom runner and it is great I usually go for a slightly older version than the current one as it saves a few ££££'s.   I used to have a garmin but prefer the tomtom and I have heard good things about the polar.

Groupon have the tomtom spark at the moment which also plays your music

clicky

Edited by diamonds2002

On 04/11/2017 at 14:03, Stellaboz said:

Can anyone recommend a cheap running watch, Strava or whatever? I feel like it could help improve my times.

Get yourself an arm strap and use your smartphone and an app to track you, before committing to spending serious money.

I used this method for 5 years and it did gave me all the basic stats and info I required.

I used Endomondo, but Strava seems like a good one in the month or so I've been using it. I'm on the free version and it does me fine.

As said just download the strava app to your phone to start with. You can get anarm strap holder for about a fiver or just hold it in your hands. Then if you become an utter stat geek you can use what you.look at most to help decide on a watch.

On 11/4/2017 at 14:03, Stellaboz said:

I've got the TomTom Runner 2 Cardio+ watch.

I got it for £90. Along with GPS it's also got a heart rate monitor and storage for music. It allows you to stream music to headphones so I don't need to take my phone out any more.

Phone apps can do all that they can do and more, but it depends whether you want to take your phone out with you.

2 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

I don't. I want to leave it at home, it's too chunky for my arm holder.

I was never keen running with my phone either.  It pretty much comes down to what feature you want these days.  If you're just looking for a running watch that will record your workout the forerunner 25 will probably do the job.  Worth checking out the polar m200 or m400 and I know a few folk with the tomtom watches that are happy with how they work for running, I had the old tomtom nike watch and didn't think much of it though.  You might be able to pick up a decent watch second hand too given how often folk upgrade.

Check out DC Rainmakers blog for in depth reviews and comparisons.  

ETA.  Black Friday just around the corner means potential for decent deals too.

Edited by ark loyal

On 01/11/2017 at 11:40, Stu said:

Is anyone doing the Brampton to Carlisle 10 mile road race later this month, or has done it in the past? I see it has everyone's favourite word to describe a course - undulating...

Did it in just under 69 minutes for 168th out of the best part of 600 runners.

Start was a bit of a shambles. Everyone making their way to the start point, next thing we know there's a bang and we only realise the race is under way because other folk started moving more quickly. No call to get set, no safety briefing, nothing. I was well down the pack, took me the best part of the first mile to find anyone from the club to work out whereabouts in the field I was. One of the faster ladies from the club went flying past in the first mile having clearly been caught out too, she did not look happy as she'd have been in with a good chance of winning if it had been done properly.

I’m not one for running, if anyone was to ask I would say I hated it. But I’ve done a few park runs (cramond and Kirkcaldy when I’ve been down the road, liked kdy) and done Ellon today and really enjoyed it despite it being absolutely freezing. Small, friendly turnout and nice course/route. I’m worried I’m changing!

Anyone recommend a decent watch for about £100? Ideally one I can link with Strava?

Edit: Any thoughts on this? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-Vivoactive-Smart-Watch-Wrist/dp/B01BLQT7DM/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1512227202

That's the slightly fancier version (no HR monitor) of the one I've got. Never had any bother with it, and I use it for cycling/swimming as well. Having checked, the HR one's cheaper than my one on Amazon just now!

Looks the best bet if you're budget-conscious I'd say.

ETA: Links with Strava no problem, too.

1 hour ago, morrison said:

That's the slightly fancier version (no HR monitor) of the one I've got. Never had any bother with it, and I use it for cycling/swimming as well. Having checked, the HR one's cheaper than my one on Amazon just now!

Looks the best bet if you're budget-conscious I'd say.

ETA: Links with Strava no problem, too.

Cheers for that, glad to hear you've had no problems as I read a few reports that there have been problems with the screen. Between the Vioactive and the Forerunner 35 at the moment.

Out for a 8 mile run this morning seeing as the weather was decent was a bit unsure as how it would go as I've just been running on the treadmill for the last month but pleasantly surprised to find still running around the same time as I did before and feeling ok so probably stick to the treadmill mostly through winter although they can be monotonous and you get ridiculously hot running on them.

I just use runkeeper for my runs pretty basic but does what I want.

Anyone got any races planned this month? 

• 4 weeks later...

Sadly my Brooks Ghost 9s are on the verge of giving up the, er Ghost. Need to get some new shoes, probably stick with Brooks but move up from 9.5 to 10.5. Ghosts are too expensive (they were a present last Christmas so I didn't have to pay). Anyone any experience with the Revel or Launch 4 ones - or recommend any others for £50-£70?

What's everyone's running goals for this year then? I've struggled with injury all year so my main aim is to stay fit and get my speed back. I've signed up for a run every day in January challenge and have a couple of 5k races coming up that I've signed up for with my son (he's 8 and runs a 24:17 5k - he's beat my 24:27 PB already) but apart from that, I just aim to be able to run and hope to get back to my running club soon. 13 miles done so far this month.