P&b Running Club

I used to get constant shin pain as soon as I started running, found out I was tying my trainers to tight and that was it!

Had this exact problem years ago, couldn't run more than a few hundred yards before my shins were burning so bad , put me off running for a long time . When I started running again this year the same happened but when I loosened my laces off it went away and never suffer from it any more. Had never actually heard anyone else describe that before so good to hear that it wasn't just me imagining it !

Done the 10k in Glasgow on Sunday. Only my 2nd time doing this distance but loved it from first step to the last. Probably the first run I can remember actually enjoying but a bit deflated now that it's over and struggling for motivation to go out for a few miles tonight. 

Usually go for a run early on Wednesday morning before work. With the shin injury I thought I'd be able to get a few hours sleep plus I could give blood later without worrying about it messing up my running in the next few days.

WRONG! Woke up exactly when I usually do, feeling unwell and couldn't get back to sleep. And because I've been ill I shouldn't really give blood.

Smashing.

Ran the Chicago marathon on Sunday - they know how to put on a show! Despite the massive field of 40k+, I was into my stride almost straight away. In typical American style, the roads are really wide pretty much the whole way round.

It was unseasonably warm though, getting to around 23-24 degrees in the later stages, which inevitably left me burnt!

Happy enough with my 3:27, which includes a pitstop to address some backed up issues around mile 11. A first during a race for that, and hopefully a last... and the legs don't feel too bad, thankfully.

17 hours ago, morrison said:

Ran the Chicago marathon on Sunday - they know how to put on a show! Despite the massive field of 40k+, I was into my stride almost straight away. In typical American style, the roads are really wide pretty much the whole way round.

It was unseasonably warm though, getting to around 23-24 degrees in the later stages, which inevitably left me burnt!

Happy enough with my 3:27, which includes a pitstop to address some backed up issues around mile 11. A first during a race for that, and hopefully a last... and the legs don't feel too bad, thankfully.

Congratulations! That's a fantastic time.

More importantly, what did you make of Chicago? I was there a couple of years ago around this time and it was fantastic. Guessing there's a good buzz with the Cubs at the moment?

Congratulations! That's a fantastic time.
More importantly, what did you make of Chicago? I was there a couple of years ago around this time and it was fantastic. Guessing there's a good buzz with the Cubs at the moment?

Cheers! (And thanks everyone else!)

I loved it - probably didn't do as much as I could have, but enjoyes the Field Museum & the architecture boat tour.

Was great timing being there as the post-season started, the city was nuts about it. Couldn't justify buying tickets to Game 3 though, so had to make do with seeing the Bears lose again instead!

1 hour ago, morrison said:

Cheers! (And thanks everyone else!)

I loved it - probably didn't do as much as I could have, but enjoyes the Field Museum & the architecture boat tour.

Was great timing being there as the post-season started, the city was nuts about it. Couldn't justify buying tickets to Game 3 though, so had to make do with seeing the Bears lose again instead!

Yeah the boat tour is great. I'm not into architecture but was able to appreciate the buildings. Different to other American cities where the tall buildings all look the same.

The night I got there two years ago was the first time the Cubs had made it as far as the equivalent of the semi-finals for the first time in years. Didn't really have any interest in baseball before that but it was crazy being there for that.

First marathon today. Maidstone 3h 38 on a course that could be described as undulating at best. Dissapointed with the time but with absolutely no training,( 15 miler 8 weeks ago) a bit of a hangover and the night spent up with a 8month old buggering around I suppose I can live with it

First marathon today. Maidstone 3h 38 on a course that could be described as undulating at best. Dissapointed with the time but with absolutely no training,( 15 miler 8 weeks ago) a bit of a hangover and the night spent up with a 8month old buggering around I suppose I can live with it

You must have "the gift" to be able to knock out that time considering - hats off to you. Have you got form over shorter stuff? Just wondering why you're disappointed!

Not a bad weekend of running for me...got a 1st finisher for my parkrun profile (really small, slow run!) & got myself round a rather scenic Niagara Falls marathon on Sunday. My legs hated me afterward, but miraculously feel fine today.

Timed at 3:41 compared to last week's 3:27. Like I say, heavy legs! Humid as anything, too.

Defiantly no gift mate. But I have been running for a few years mostly 10 k and x country stuff. Not world beating times but was hoping when I signed up to be sneaking under 3hrs and already adjusted my goal to around 3h 20.

Small slow field. Don't even mention it. A win is a win. And a win is the best running you race on the day.