P&b Running Club

3 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I've had bad knee pain after playing football and have just bought a knee support/brace to wear when I'm running.

Anyone use one of these or know a better way to get rid of my dodgy leg joints?

Not sure if this is going to be of any use, but I was getting bad knee joint pains a few weeks back. Realised I hadn't bought new trainers in nearly 2 years and had done nearly 1,000 miles of walking and running with them. Bought a new pair of trainers and I noticed the difference straight away ... did my fastest 5k of the year despite not running in over 2 weeks. I would buy a new pair of trainers for every run if it wasn't so expensive!

Feel like it's been a long time since I've given an update in this place.

The benefits of training for two marathons nearly non stop over the last year seems to finally be hitting for the shorter, faster distances. Over the last couple of months I've set a mile PB (5:22), a 10k PB (39:07) and a course PB at Kirkcaldy parkrun of 18:38.

I've got the Forth Bridge 10k on Sunday so I'm going to have a go at sub 39 assuming the weather is ok.

(Of course, now that I've written down that things are going well, that'll be the end of it!)

Feel like it's been a long time since I've given an update in this place.

The benefits of training for two marathons nearly non stop over the last year seems to finally be hitting for the shorter, faster distances. Over the last couple of months I've set a mile PB (5:22), a 10k PB (39:07) and a course PB at Kirkcaldy parkrun of 18:38.

I've got the Forth Bridge 10k on Sunday so I'm going to have a go at sub 39 assuming the weather is ok.

(Of course, now that I've written down that things are going well, that'll be the end of it!)

Cue a torn calf and a bad bout of shin splints

Linwood Parkrun looking for a few volunteers this weekend if anyone is about: https://www.facebook.com/linwoodparkrun/ I'm up the road for the Saints game and not running on Saturday as I'm doing the Dumfries Doonhamer 10k on Sunday so have volunteered. Hopefully the karma will rub off for my race! If it goes well will do the same when I'm back up in a fortnight as it's the day before Dumfries Half Marathon.

Not sure what to expect from Sunday to be honest. Did it last year in just over 46 minutes but I've improved since then and won't be making the same mistake of stuffing my face the night before (have arranged that for Friday). Last 10k I did was a 42.07 in June. Last month I did Castle Douglas five mile run in 33.29 and this course is pretty much flat, apart from one brief section, so I'm wondering if a sub 40 might be doable.

After years and years of eating and drinking to excess I've recently taken up running. Really enjoying the buzz at the moment although the 'enjoyment' seems to be pre and post run as I'm finding the actual miles pretty gruelling. Hopefully as I get fitter the actual running will get more pleasurable. When I started 3 months ago I couldn't even manage a lap of my local park which is only 0.5 miles so it was always going to be a slow progress. So far I've done 6 Parkruns (first time 26.25 but now down to 22.59) and on Wednesday night I ran the Jim Young Marymass 10k / Ayrshire Championship in Irvine. Found the last 2k hard going but pretty chuffed to finish in under 50 minutes (just) for my first attempt at this distance. Got a few days coming up where a fair bit of alcohol will be consumed but after that I'm hoping to get some serious training in for the Great Scottish Run 10k in October,

After years and years of eating and drinking to excess I've recently taken up running. Really enjoying the buzz at the moment although the 'enjoyment' seems to be pre and post run as I'm finding the actual miles pretty gruelling. Hopefully as I get fitter the actual running will get more pleasurable. When I started 3 months ago I couldn't even manage a lap of my local park which is only 0.5 miles so it was always going to be a slow progress. So far I've done 6 Parkruns (first time 26.25 but now down to 22.59) and on Wednesday night I ran the Jim Young Marymass 10k / Ayrshire Championship in Irvine. Found the last 2k hard going but pretty chuffed to finish in under 50 minutes (just) for my first attempt at this distance. Got a few days coming up where a fair bit of alcohol will be consumed but after that I'm hoping to get some serious training in for the Great Scottish Run 10k in October,

Well done for getting this far. I took up running early this year , I can empathise with the feeling of euphoria post run ( not sure about pre run , u some kind of sadist?lol) but yeah , in my experience the middle bit (the running ) is shit and tbf probably shouldn't be anything but gruelling ! Think the key is to pacing yourself , eg if I run 4.50/km it is a truly unholy experience but 5.20/km and I feel I can run forever which in itself is a pretty awesome feeling ( untill reality hits and u realise it is still pretty gruelling just with a slight flicker of hope to distract u lol ) my Mrs is doing that 10 km , still a bit too far for me to stretch I feel plus who would look after the kids if we both done it ! But I'll be there cheering her on , will give you a whoop too !

While I was waiting for Springburn parkrun results to appear (still waiting, they're usually quite quick), found this interesting site that tells you the elevation climb of every Parkrun in the UK. https://jegmar.com/fastest-races/parkrun/

Here's a list of all the Parkruns I've done + their elevation.

3 - Strathclyde - 9ft
9 - Edinburgh - 11ft
45 - Perth - 22ft
55 - Greenock - 26ft
103 - Linwood - 39ft
126 - Portobello - 49ft
180 - Victoria - 72ft
314 - Springburn - 147ft
383 - Pollok - 213ft
403 - Ruchill - 249ft
405 - Crystal Palace - 250ft
447 - Tollcross - 356ft
455 - Drumchapel - 424ft

Not sure why my best times have been at Springburn. You go up a massive hill 3 times, but I guess you do finish lower than when you start. 

A sub-40 10k pace proved beyond me today in Dumfries, ended up with a 40.54 which is 70 seconds or so quicker than my PB. Can't argue with that and finished 16th overall (same as I did in Kirkcudbright half back in May).

Next up is Dumfries half in a fortnight, would be nice to sneak under 95 minutes which would be another PB. Volunteering at Linwood Parkrun again that weekend so if that leads to another PB and Saints demolishing some no hopers again then I may have to look at helping out every weekend.

While I was waiting for Springburn parkrun results to appear (still waiting, they're usually quite quick), found this interesting site that tells you the elevation climb of every Parkrun in the UK. https://jegmar.com/fastest-races/parkrun/
Here's a list of all the Parkruns I've done + their elevation.
3 - Strathclyde - 9ft
9 - Edinburgh - 11ft
45 - Perth - 22ft
55 - Greenock - 26ft
103 - Linwood - 39ft
126 - Portobello - 49ft
180 - Victoria - 72ft
314 - Springburn - 147ft
383 - Pollok - 213ft
403 - Ruchill - 249ft
405 - Crystal Palace - 250ft
447 - Tollcross - 356ft
455 - Drumchapel - 424ft
Not sure why my best times have been at Springburn. You go up a massive hill 3 times, but I guess you do finish lower than when you start. 

Good site! Kirkcaldy comes in at about 180 with the hill featuring twice within the run.

Did a long run (just under ten miles) last night in preparation for the GSR. Absolutely brutal, felt really sluggish, heavy legged and my splits were terrible. Glad to have done it but going to need to improve.

Having said that I did a check and the same run took me longer when I did it in preparation for my last HM, where I ran a Pb, so maybe it'll be OK.

Cue a torn calf and a bad bout of shin splints

No injury but no PB either. Course was way too hilly for that, even the bits that aren't on the bridge are either up and down.

Still came in 39:43 for 23rd place so more than happy with that followed by a great spread of food afterwards!

No injury but no PB either. Course was way too hilly for that, even the bits that aren't on the bridge are either up and down.

Still came in 39:43 for 23rd place so more than happy with that followed by a great spread of food afterwards!

Well in mate