P&b Running Club

If you donate your entry fee and you're unsuccessful through the main draw, you go into a second ballot for a chance of a place. Better odds, but not great still. And you don't have to raise money for a charity if you get one of those places!

I've GFA for 2018; it'll be my first London. Pretty excited for it!

Tried 3k on the green today for the first time since August. I know I'm running a lot better than I was then, but only scraped a 5 second pb. A bit disappointed. Just went off far too fast. Chasing a woman I know can run sub 18 5ks for the first mile and I was done.

Just forced myself to get a bit of running done the past few weeks as more a cycling type but my mountain bike is getting work done.

Always been shite at running and felt I had weak ankles but actually been enjoying it lately. Not a big fan of running on tarmac, prefer to run on the rough tracks in the woods.

Had a shot at a 10k tonight. Feel not too bad after it.

Benchmark time to try and improve on if nothing else.

10k 010517.png

How have folk found running in the days/weeks after giving blood? I did that on Wednesday and felt bad at the 3 mile handicap on Thursday and horrendous while running today - was struggling after half an hour. Seem to remember struggling after the last time I gave blood too so wondering if it's connected?

Bit worrying if so as I have a five mile race on Tuesday!

How have folk found running in the days/weeks after giving blood? I did that on Wednesday and felt bad at the 3 mile handicap on Thursday and horrendous while running today - was struggling after half an hour. Seem to remember struggling after the last time I gave blood too so wondering if it's connected?

They say it can take up to two weeks for the pace to come fully back after giving blood. Amazing how hard the first few days after it can be.

9 hours ago, true_rover said:

They say it can take up to two weeks for the pace to come fully back after giving blood. Amazing how hard the first few days after it can be.

Thankfully it won't affect my pace in the five mile race tonight - because I've had food poisoning and won't be running :(

After three weeks with my pal on the south island of New Zealand, I unsurprisingly didn't run once but once I was in the north island I gave it a bash.

Got to to taupo and discovered a parkrun 4k from my hostel. After an early rise (they start at 8am), I managed to finish third out of about 36 runners. Pretty straightforward route, along a section of the lake then turn round and back again. Got bang on 20 minutes so still a good bit off my pb but chuffed to have a new Zealand parkrun on my online record now!

Gorgeous part of the world for it too. Right along the largest lake in the country, with Mount doom in the distance. Fog slowly lifted off the lake as I started and random bits of it were bubbling away owing to the thermal nature of the region.

Certainly beats the last parkrun I made it to in springburn!

Started doing a wee bit again after taking 2 years off. No pain from my hip so far. My missus has started running for the first time in her life so been going out with her, which is both a blessing and a curse. Making it easy to get back into but frustrating me as I feel I can do much more but I'm having to hold back. Mostly up the hills and into the forest so far though, which means even with the run being broken I'm still having to push myself at times. Will stick with it and see how my hip holds up.

Looking for some advice for a beginner. Just started running about 3 weeks ago to keep fit after a bad knee injury playing football stopped me from doing anything. Been running every second day and I'm now up to 3 miles and surprisingly enjoying it, but my calf muscles are absolutely killing me during and after running no matter how much I stretch before and during running. Can hardly walk sometimes after it. Does this go away after time as the muscles get stronger it could it be my trainers ? Any help appreciated....

Looking for some advice for a beginner. Just started running about 3 weeks ago to keep fit after a bad knee injury playing football stopped me from doing anything. Been running every second day and I'm now up to 3 miles and surprisingly enjoying it, but my calf muscles are absolutely killing me during and after running no matter how much I stretch before and during running. Can hardly walk sometimes after it. Does this go away after time as the muscles get stronger it could it be my trainers ? Any help appreciated....

Could be your trainers. I would also suggest stretching afterwards. Warm up should be dynamic, cool down static.

For anyone interested, entries for the Forth Road Bridge 10k are at 8pm this Sunday. Be quick if you want a place. If you're lucky and get in, then an added bonus is that you get to pick up your number from me on the day!

On 06/05/2017 at 22:49, Stu said:

I never gave blood in the time when I was running a lot, but I remember once playing a game of fives later the same day after a blood donation. I felt exhausted after 10 minutes, and it was really quite scary just how debilitating it was - I've never felt a tiredness like that since, and that includes the end of a marathon. I was surprised as I'd never had any problems after giving blood prior to that day. Having experienced that, it wouldn't be a shock if it took a few days to get back up to normal levels.

Thankfully it won't affect my pace in the five mile race tonight - because I've had food poisoning and won't be running [emoji20]

The last twice I've given blood or platelets, ive went for a five miler the next day. Strangely enough I really struggled but doubt it was due to the bevvy that night!!

Did Carlisle City Urban Trail 10k last night. Mainly flat (apart from going up and down steps for a bridge and going up the castle walls) and a bit of road running with the rest on grass. First trail race I'd done (i do all my running on roads) and managed it in 44:05. Only done one 10k before and that was in 46:30 in September so guessing that's a good improvement.

Just hope my body holds together enough for Kirkcudbright Half a week on Saturday.

I'm not going to do the Edinburgh half, I've had a bad chest cold and cough and haven't had a chance to do enough long runs. Disappointing but I've got an entry into the Black Rock 5 for next month to make up for it. 

Well done Eddie.  The marathon is a cruel distance.  I was totally scunnered with running after Edinburgh last year and I'm still struggling to find my form.    

I've been getting back into the racing the past couple of months though.  I've done the Loch Katrine, Balfron and Dumbarton 10ks so far.  Took 20 secs of my previous best at LK this year.  Added 45 sec onto my best at Balfron (over a slightly tougher course) and ran a PB at Dumbarton (43:41).

I done the sprint triathlon at Loch LoMan today and ran a 20:19 off the bike which helped see me to an overall time of 1:16:05 and 11th overall.  So things might be starting to click.