P&b Running Club

On ‎17‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 17:13, Stu said:

Seemed a bit sore after a short run on Saturday so spent a lot of the rest of the day with some ice on it. Tried again this morning with a longer run and the problem area was about the only thing that wasn't hurting by the end! Cancelled tomorrow's physio appointment but, no sooner had that happened than my backside (think it's my glutes) was sore when I was walking about at lunch so have gone back to icing it.

Very frustrating. Physio did say when I phoned to explain why I was cancelling to see how it was after another couple of runs. Fingers crossed but knowing my luck I'll end up needing a couple more sessions when one would have done and I was too tight to pay if I didn't really need it!

I've been to the physio myself tonight after fighting off/trying to ignore a similar pain, by the sounds of it. The guy diagnosed hamstring tendinopathy and gave me a few simple exercises to repeat (3 sets of ten) daily for the next few weeks to get my glute firing.  It's currently going absolutely nothing, making my hamstring do all the work.

Surprisingly he was fine with my plan to race this weekend, and reckons after two weeks without running thereafter I can start to ease back into it and move onto more advanced exercises. 

I really wish I'd gone two months ago when it was less advanced.

This thread's got more injured guys than active ones just now; how bloody depressing!

This thread's got more injured guys than active ones just now; how bloody depressing!

I'm not posting then - don't want to tempt fate! All the best for Sunday!

Great Edinburgh Run for me this weekend, 4 weeks out from Stirling so will have a go at under 70 minutes before going into one last hard week of training.

"Treated" myself to a sports massage yesterday - nothing quite like paying money for someone to cause you pain for half an hour!

Do folk have any opinions on Parkrun's policy of all-inclusiveness, regardless of how fast or slow you are? For me, it's great in principle, but there are issues when it actually comes to implementing it.

I'm completely fine with people running at their own pace, and have no problem if they take much longer than I would, but the policy of encouraging walkers, however slow, just doesn't seem right to me. I've been on the volunteer list often since getting my long-term injury and I do enjoy helping out, but today for the first time I was pissed off at being there, while we waited half an hour for the last person to leisurely stroll round, finishing in just under 80 minutes.

I just think that's taking the piss. If you want to walk briskly and can make it round inside an hour then fair enough, but if you just want a gentle stroll and a blether, why not just go for a walk round the park on your own? I really like that Parkrun is inclusive, but these things rely on volunteers to run, so there are surely limits to this. Many of us there today were regular volunteers, and all of us were getting annoyed toward the end. If that was happening every week then the effect would presumably be fewer people willing to volunteer - surely that can't be right?

I'm generally all for it, Socks, but I do think folk need to enter into it knowing that it is a run and the whole thing is meant to make them work hard, if that's the level they're at.

While some of the walkers are quick enough to justify their participation, it does sound like this person was 'at it'. Eighty minutes is a long, long time.

It annoys me enough that folk don't start in a sensible place for their ability, though that applies to all events really. Portobello's the only one I've seen encourage folk to line up with this in mind.

Oh, and cheers true_rover! Have a good one yourself. Love the course for the 10-mile.

Pretty much as I see it as well. We have a few who walk most of it and jog the downhill bits, who usually finish in about 50 mins - that's totally fine.

You can understand why they don't want to put time limits on it as it might deter people, even if they'd comfortably be within the time. But, there's been a recent push to encourage more walkers at any pace, and I just think it's going to be counter-productive.

Ach, between this and a massive rant at today's referee over a horrendous penalty decision, I'm probably just having a moany day!

Quick mention of the Forth Road Bridge 10k as a few here might be interested - we've confirmed the date as 27th August this year, with entries open in early May. If you're interested, keep an eye out for entries opening (Pitreavie facebook will have the details) as it's likely to sell out in a few minutes again.

Managed Balmoral 10kin 51:16 with issues with my IT band I believe,from my knee upwards in my ligament? Anyway, I had to walk a little up the hill which annoyed me like f**k but made up for it I guess. Great venue, atmosphere although it took forever to get home! [emoji38]

Oh and Socks I'm with you, there should be a limit of some kind, purely for the sanity and respect of the volunteers and the time they already put in to help out. If you're walking 5k, go fucking walk 5k ffs. c***s.

It's called Parkrun, not Parkwalk/stroll/whatever. If you're going to walk quickly then fine, otherwise just go for a wander around without your barcode. 80 minutes to walk three-miles?!?

Good luck to those doing London tomorrow :)

Well done eddiemunster!

I managed a pitiful 5k today. My running has gone tits up. Was supposed to be cycling in the Loch Ness Etape today, but had to pull out because I dislocated my finger last week and I can't brake/change gear without pain. I'm going to focus on running for a bit. Would like to do another triathlon, too...

Cracking day yesterday for the Great Edinburgh Run and I took full advantage of it, smashing past sub 70 to do 66:40 for the 10 miles - far quicker than I thought I could do on that course and 4 mins quicker than I did it in 2014 and 2015.

Delighted!

Well done guys, some belting runs there. Very jealous of you Londoners!

I had a tough day in Blackpool yesterday. Undertrained and under the weather, started well but quickly got slower (if that makes sense) with cramps kicking in from mile 24. And I'm now lobster-coloured, too. Argh!

3:29:40ish in the end, which I'll take. Similar to eddie, feeling awful today!

16 hours ago, eddiemunster said:

4:01:15

Never shat

No bad

6 hours ago, Rossi1990 said:

Got round London in 4:34:36 which I was delighted with. Never stopped the whole 26.2 miles and that's something I never thought I would be able to do. 

Well done to both of you :)

How much does entry cost? Tempted to put my name in for next year...

Thanks Eddie. Well done to you too.  I actually started off slower than I wanted and felt really good as the time went on. Met a guy I work with at 15 miles so stayed with him for 2 miles then I left him and went on from there. The support is something that'll never leave me though. It was unbelievable. I'm no sure how much it is Stu. I got in through Scottish SPCA so was fundraising for them 

Edited by Rossi1990

2 hours ago, Stu said:

Well done to both of you :)

How much does entry cost? Tempted to put my name in for next year...

I think it's about £35? I donated my entry fee to charity if I didn't get in (hahaha, like that would ever happen) and got a nice training top for it. Would much rather be in the marathon of course!

I'll enter the ballot again...

4 hours ago, Reina said:

I think it's about £35? I donated my entry fee to charity if I didn't get in (hahaha, like that would ever happen) and got a nice training top for it. Would much rather be in the marathon of course!

I'll enter the ballot again...

Do you have to pay the £35 whether or not you get in? Seems a bit unfair if you have to pay regardless, although if that's the entire cost of your entry that's pretty decent value. The half marathons I've done locally have been about that - twice as long, twice as much!

I'm a bit wary of doing a charity entry for something that's a hobby anyway. If I didn't already run then fair enough, I'd be a bit uncomfortable asking folk to sponsor me for something I already did. Besides there's no charities I feel particularly strongly about and you have to raise a hell of a lot!

Someone suggested applying for a club place but I'd feel guilty about denying a "proper" runner one of them. For example, someone in the club was third in her age group and in the top 60 women yesterday - would hate an eejit like me to deny them a place!

Edited by Stu

Do you have to pay the £35 whether or not you get in? Seems a bit unfair if you have to pay regardless, although if that's the entire cost of your entry that's pretty decent value. The half marathons I've done locally have been about that - twice as long, twice as much!
I'm a bit wary of doing a charity entry for something that's a hobby anyway. If I didn't already run then fair enough, I'd be a bit uncomfortable asking folk to sponsor me for something I already did. Besides there's no charities I feel particularly strongly about and you have to raise a hell of a lot!
Someone suggested applying for a club place but I'd feel guilty about denying a "proper" runner one of them. For example, someone in the club was third in her age group and in the top 60 women yesterday - would hate an eejit like me to deny them a place!

You only have to pay if you are successful, but you can choose to pay regardless and donate it to charity of you miss out.
Charity places come with a huge fundraising requirement (usually £1500+).
Get applying for a club place! The woman that you mentioned would qualify through good for age time anyway by the sound of it.