P&b Running Club

How many folk on here use Strava? Think I follow a couple (Debs and TM) but would be good to get another few folk to follow.

Someone set up a Pie & Bovril group on Strava last year - go into clubs and search pie and it comes up fairly near the top. Failing that I'm on Strava.

New personal best by at least five minutes today on Stranraer half - was under 96 minutes going by Strava and my previous best was Dumfries last year at about 101. Just waiting to see my official time and position.

EDIT: Ran it in 95:42 compared to my previous of 101.something last year. Finished 32nd out of 121 (well, tied 31st but listed as 32nd!).

Has anyone done jogscotland's jog leader training course? Someone at the club has suggested I do it, which is fine (although the dates they suggested I can't do). Just wondering if anyone had any experience of it.
Stranraer half marathon for me on Saturday. Fingers crossed for a good one - might take me longer to drive there for the race than to complete the course.

Yeah I did it last January. It was OK, but didn't really learn much. It is all about getting the relevant proof of training to do a bit of coaching if you want to.

Looks like I was part of the winning team at Stranraer on Saturday. This is purely down to my excellent performance and nothing to do with the fact few running clubs had the required three members to make a team or that the club's proper runners weren't there :whistle

New Parkrun starting this weekend at Vogrie Country Park, just south of Dalkeith.

Excellent place to go for a run generally, one of my favourite places in Midlothian.

The course they have chosen avoids the more hilly side of the park on the other side of the river. It sticks to the loop round towards the Dewarton entrance, which is quite a fun bit to run through albeit very very busy with bloody dog walkers near the car park.

Bring your old shoes, parts of this route will be mucky!

http://www.parkrun.org.uk/vogrie/

Like the look of that although it's a bit far from Glasgow!

Trying to regain my fitness, did a wee 5k there. Despite it being more than 2.5 minutes slower than my PB - I was rather out of breath at the end ... so much so that an old woman had to ask me if I was okay. I've got a mountain to climb!

Yeah, Vogrie looks good. It does seem narrow almost the whole way round, the numbers'll need to be fairly low. I'll give it a go next weekend...will be interesting to see what the headcount is there on Saturday.

7 minutes ago, morrison said:

Yeah, Vogrie looks good. It does seem narrow almost the whole way round, the numbers'll need to be fairly low. I'll give it a go next weekend...will be interesting to see what the headcount is there on Saturday.

Not sure if you've done Linwood but it looks very similar. Nice course, but a bit of a nightmare in the wet, and there are certain points there is no overtaking - especially if you're stuck behind someone with a push-chair. 

I just had a wee look through the results from Inverness today to see how a few folk I know got on and happened to see Morrison's time there - well done, that's a great effort and a massive improvement over the last couple of years. Those days of two years ago when we were both running near enough identical times seem a long time ago!

12 hours ago, Socks said:

I just had a wee look through the results from Inverness today to see how a few folk I know got on and happened to see Morrison's time there - well done, that's a great effort and a massive improvement over the last couple of years. Those days of two years ago when we were both running near enough identical times seem a long time ago!

Cheers!  Yeah, yesterday went much better than hoped.  That was a new PB by nearly four minutes for 1:23:32, and the first at any non-marathon distance since 2015.  I felt pretty good almost the whole way round; I kept waiting for the wheels to come off, but thankfully there was no derailment! 

How are you getting on yourself these days?  If it wasn't for the injury troubles there'd be a whole other story.

I thought it must be a PB but didn't realise it was by that much. 4 minutes at the level you're at is a ridiculously good improvement!

I'm much as I've been for a while - just can't shift it and pretty frustrated that nobody will give me a proper diagnosis. Not much point moaning about it though, so I'm experimenting with a few things and will see how they go.

Well done Chris as well, another big improvement. You won't be long breaking 2 hours if you keep at it.

Had a look at doing the 6.5 Kilomathon in Edinburgh next month but it's sold out. 

However, on the website it allows the option of swapping race entries to another person. If anyone has signed up for the 6.5Km and has decided they don't want to do it anymore I'd be more than happy to take their place off of them. 

On 3/13/2017 at 20:40, juansebastianvernon said:

Anyone running at Alloa next weekend?

If so have you had email with your 'runners pack'?

Cheers

Yes and yes. Plus corrected email saying there was some sort of mix up!

Think I've pulled a muscle in my backside again - similar to what put me out for about a month in the summer although the initial pain obviously isn't quite as bad as I can at least walk about without any problems!

Any advice for ways to speed up the recovery time? Might try to get a foam roller and have ibuprofen gel to rub in. I know folk will suggest RICE but I'm intrigued as to how I'm meant to elevate my bum! 

Edited by Stu

On 3/13/2017 at 11:30, morrison said:

Cheers!  Yeah, yesterday went much better than hoped.  That was a new PB by nearly four minutes for 1:23:32, and the first at any non-marathon distance since 2015.  I felt pretty good almost the whole way round; I kept waiting for the wheels to come off, but thankfully there was no derailment! 

How are you getting on yourself these days?  If it wasn't for the injury troubles there'd be a whole other story.

Holy toot, that's really impressive! Well done!

I thoroughly enjoyed the 5k on Sunday - I ran it with the boy (who is 7). My training has been utterly pish recently, so thought I'd take it easy running with him and try and get him under 28 mins. At 2 miles in, I was struggling to keep up with him! I told him to go on without me and he sprinted off. I saw him cross the line and looked at my watch to see he'd done the 5k in 27:04. Not bad for a wee dude, I'd say. Shame he can't join the club until he is 9 as I think with some decent coaching he could be a really good runner. Some boy.

I rolled over the line in 28:14. Boo. I need to sort out this training lull...