P&b Running Club

I'm interested in this too, don't fancy having to carry a phone when I'm running. Was thinking about a fitbit.

I've got a Garmin forerunner 235. It's been great going out without my phone but I'm not sure the gps is 100%. It seems to underestimate by 1-200 meter per 10k. Quite frustrating when your doing races. The garmin Fenix range look brilliant but not cheap.

4 hours ago, serbo99 said:

I've got a Garmin forerunner 235. It's been great going out without my phone but I'm not sure the gps is 100%. It seems to underestimate by 1-200 meter per 10k. Quite frustrating when your doing races. The garmin Fenix range look brilliant but not cheap.

I use Runkeeper on my Samsung Galaxy s7, and it's about the same. The last dozen parkruns have all clocked in around 4.8-4.9km. 

16 hours ago, serbo99 said:

I splurged last year and got the garmin forerunner 635. Cant recommend it enough.

It records more stats about each run than I could even contemplate using. However, the big bonuses for me is that the GPS seems to be very accurate and it works for both running and cycling. It also has a step counter and is smart enough looking as a watch. There are now some apps you can use to customise the watch face etc, but I havent really explored that.

It also has a very good app, which lets you store all of the information about your running on your phone, rather than pc. I like this, as i am much more inclined to download the data and actually look at it than i was when i used to use the Garmin 410 that was linked with my pc.

Edited by fanny paddery

Guest bernardblack

Hoping a physician is in this forum......

Been training, nothing too heavy, but the last two days I have this pain behind my knee and it seizes up as soon as I sit down.

That's not a hamstring injury is it?

Anyone experienced anything similar?

Been training, nothing too heavy, but the last two days I have this pain behind my knee and it seizes up as soon as I sit down.

Not something I've experienced, bit sounds like it could be IT band?

• 2 weeks later...

Ran 10km yesterday, came in about a minute over my PB for the distance but as I got held up twice at traffic lights I think it's probably the fastest I've ever done it.  Really pleased.

Doing the Inverness half marathon on March 12th so am phasing up for that.

It band, had the same before reasonably unpleasant.

Has anyone ever came back running from a ruptured ACL? How long did it take etc?

Has anyone had a ruptured ACL and how long did

Guest bernardblack

Has anyone ever came back running from a ruptured ACL? How long did it take etc?

Yeah unpleasant is the ideal word! Still managing to get out through stretching and ice but the Belfast marathon in may, may now be a long shot

1 hour ago, bernardblack said:

Yeah unpleasant is the ideal word! Still managing to get out through stretching and ice but the Belfast marathon in may, may now be a long shot

Foam roller massage should help ease it off.  The first time I had it it took about a month to clear up without any let up in training

I would think the new leisure centre will be up and running before those races take place.

I've heard there won't be any Polaroid series this year.

Rumour is Babcock will sponsor so the races may still go ahead.

Haven't run since 1st Jan, so did a 4.5 miler on the trails yesterday. Was slow because my hip was giving me a bit of gip, but it's done and was rather pleasant. I'm going out again on Sunday for 10k on the trail again, but I've set my turbo trainer up and will need to focus on cycling for the next few months before the Etape. Entering it seemed like a good idea at the time... f**k.

On 1/23/2017 at 11:44, ark loyal said:

I've heard there won't be any Polaroid series this year.

Rumour is Babcock will sponsor so the races may still go ahead.

What I heard was that they have a sponsor, but were dropping Clydebank. Not sure if they'll replace it or go with the 3. Shame because Clydebank can be a fast one.

Krakow parkrun for me at the weekend. The run director was getting very animated at the start of the run, but sadly as it was in Polish, I've no idea what he was on about. The weather was quite good for that time of year so I just wore my t-shirt (and stuck out like a sore thumb). 

The route itself was really nice. 1.25 laps of a massive park. Nice, flat and wide. Nowhere near a PB but I was suffering a bit from too many Lechs, Zwyiecs and Tyskies the night before. 

On 23/01/2017 at 07:52, Grant228 said:

Ruptured as in a full tear? Are you getting surgery?

I fully ruptured my ACL playing football, and since then have run 2 half marathons. Actually, the injury was what got me into running in the first place. Found that running kept my knee from getting too stiff.

Anyway, it took quite a while to get back to running distance, did a lot of running in the deep hydrotherapy pool at Hampden Clinic which turned out to be brilliant. Then slowly ramped up on the treadmill and with the physio on artificial surface which was a bit more cushioned I think. Most important thing is to make sure you do all the rehab stuff, listen to your physio and above all else listen to your body. I've found that I know my body a hell of a lot better now, still have a lot of problems with muscular imbalances and things like my hips get a bit tighter than they used to, but I can do almost everything I used to do bar football.

I also did look down the surgery route, but the orthopaedic surgeon came to the conclusion that my knee is actually quite stable without the ACL and quite a few other factors that make me a poor candidate.