P&b Running Club

On a lighter note, I seen a few pictures and videos from the Zurich marathon yesterday. Hail, rain and snow from start to finish. Looked utterly horrendous for the competitors and it made me glad I had to give up for 18 months because I would probably have had a go at it otherwise.

I've spent the last little while considering the neujahrsmarathon there, but if that's the weather in Spring, I dread to think what a Swiss winter would bring!

Doing the Hackney Half on 8th May. It's my first organised race of any sort since I was a teenager but have done a good amount of training (I think...) so feeling excited more than anything, and have found myself getting more and more keen to get a decent time. Any tips for (last minute!) speed training?

You might not thank me for saying it, but at this point any extra sessions aren't going to make any difference.  You'd be better to start winding down the volume so you've recovered nicely for the big day.  What's your training looked like up to now?  How many times a week can you manage, what types of things have you been trying... I'm sure we can think of something between us for your next one.  And good luck!  :thumsup2

A lot of the times on this thread are for tumbling.  Reina, you've definitely got a sub 2 HM in you.  What are you targeting this year? 

My current PBs are:

5k - 18:35

10k - 38:35

HM - 1:27:24

M - 3:09:21

Realistically, my 5k time probably won't improve this year.  I run 5k's at parkrun only these days, and I've yet to break 19m there.  Hoping to shave a bit off the other three in July, August & October respectively

The times I pay attention to:

5k 27:18

10k 64:xx

Aim is to get the 5k sub 25 by the end of the year, and would like the 10k below an hour but won't be concentrating on that at all. Ideally I want the 5k down to around 22 minutes.

Edited by die hard doonhamer

You doing Musselburgh again this year, Morrison? Will probably see you there if you are, as I'm hoping to be there.

Interesting to see the rough targets folk are looking at. At the moment I'm completely uncertain, and I'm not even sure what distances to target. I was going to do two marathons ths year again, but having already missed the Spring one, I don't know if there's much point going for one in September. Having been out so long, might be better just trying to get up to a reasonable pace for 10k and half marathon.

My first race of the year will hopefully be the black rock. Not back to it quite yet, but I think I should finally make it out by next weekend. It'll almost certainly be a pish time, but I'm not really too fussed for now.

My current PBs are:

5k -19:37

10k - 44:09

HM - 1:37:48

I've been focused on getting ready for the Edinburgh marathon so far this year so haven't really though about targets for these too much.  I've signed up for the mens 10k in Glasgow in June which is a few weeks after the marathon.  I'd like to think I'll get sub 42 there. 

The next race in the calendar for me will the GSR half, although before that I'm doing the 10k at the Great Scottish swim which will means I'll get very little running until a month out from the race.  Hopefully I can maintain the running fitness while training for the swim, I'd be pretty happy if I could get under 1:35.

I'm doing the 5k at the kelpies in November.  Would be nice too go sub 19 there.

You might not thank me for saying it, but at this point any extra sessions aren't going to make any difference. You'd be better to start winding down the volume so you've recovered nicely for the big day. What's your training looked like up to now? How many times a week can you manage, what types of things have you been trying... I'm sure we can think of something between us for your next one. And good luck! :thumsup2

Thanks! Been getting out about 3-4 times a week, mixture of 5k runs, 5 - 6 mile runs and longer weekend runs up to 10 miles. Fastest 5k is 22.05, fastest 10k is 45.20 and 1 hour 19 mins for 10 miles. Haven't done much interval-type training so likely won't get as fast a time as I would like but fingers crossed I manage to drag myself round...

If you've done 10-mile runs, you can at least be sure of getting round OK, even if the last bit might feel a bit tough. And i agree with the other comment - not really any point doing any speedwork now as it's too close to get any benefit from. I'd just keep doing what you've done so far, but maybe shorten the Sunday run by a couple of miles this week, then generally take it a bit easuer next week with 2-3 short runs. I quite like to run an easy couple of miles the day before a race, so would probably do something like 4-5 on Tuesday and Thursday then very easy 2 on Saturday. Everyone has their own wee thngs though.

Glad I asked about Musselburgh there - their website doesn't menton it and I had no idea it was already open.

Out last night for another 5km up the hills. Took 30 seconds of the previous time which was nice. Woke up and my hip is hurting a bit, which is not nice. Might just take the plunge and get it looked at.

I did 3k on the Green for a change yesterday afternoon. Got around in 10'19", which I was relatively pleased with due to the strong headwind on the way back! (My pb there is 10'12").

Was pacing at Tollcross parkrun this morning. Did 23 mins and managed to get a few people a pb. Ran to the park from Central Station and back to the City Centre, so got in about 16.5km or so this morning. Lovely day for it!

Another good weekend for me (at some point it'll end). A new 5k PB at parkrun yesterday with 18:32, taking 11 seconds off my last time. I have the run and become 5k over a similar course on Friday to have a go at beating that!

A 12 mile run this morning over to Portobello and back, managed to increase the pace relatively close to half marathon speed for the last 3 or 4 miles - good run