P&b Gambling University

mid-table

I have to laugh when I see some of the scorecast prices, for example Ronaldo to score first and Man Utd to win 2-0, 20/1.

20/1 :lol::lol::lol::lol: You will only give me 20/1 for something that in real terms is probably about 120/1.

Another rule I follow religiously;

Keep a record of your bets, or at the very least a Profit & Loss of your betting.

I could tell you for every day in the last 2 years how much I have won or lost from betting, poker, fruit machines, and games of chance. It's a real eye-opener and contributes to my resolution of not betting on fruit machines and games of chance any more.

I used to keep records when I had about 8 different accounts two years ago however I can view all my bets online now but I suppose you only look at that when you want to whereas if you keep a diary of it you have to face the music. Think I may go back to doing this.

If you want to bet on a game finishing 0-0, do not do a 0-0 correct score bet. Instead, bet on 'no goalscorer' on the first scorer market. That way, if the game doesn't finish 0-0 but all goals in the game are own goals your bet is still a winner. (the odds for both bets are the same).

Sorry - I do not agree.

I think I have a better knowledge than the bookies when it comes to football betting. I will look through the full fixture list throughout England and Scotland and will pick my ONE bet for the day. This selection constitutes my main bet of the week. For example last night £100 on Blackburn to beat Sunderland @ 1.65. They won (albeit only just) and I walk away with £65 notes.

My selection boils down to who I think will win - nothing to do with the odds. The usual selection is between 1/3 to 1/1. I win on average 4 out of 5 bets. I am up over £500 this season by following this one tactic alone.

I agree with this.

Discipline being the key word in this type of betting. My mate puts on £100 on 1 single bet he fancies every week. He was up £1500 for last season and so far £400 for this season. Christ thats a part-time wage!!!

Unfortunatley I have no discipline and revert to tried and trusted ;) accumulators and hail-mary's!! <_<

I agree with this.

Discipline being the key word in this type of betting. My mate puts on £100 on 1 single bet he fancies every week. He was up £1500 for last season and so far £400 for this season. Christ thats a part-time wage!!!

Unfortunatley I have no discipline and revert to tried and trusted ;) accumulators and hail-mary's!! <_<

What I don't quite get is what if Sunderland had won, (they missed a penalty at 0-0), that's £100 away. Do you up the ante for the next bet or keep your discipline? I'm not doubting Haitch when he says he's £500 up this season but he has had some losses. I would be interested to know if they were losses on this scale. I'm not in this league sadly, don't know if the old ticker could stand it tbh....

Like mid-table I keep a record of every bet. Bloody depressing reading atm. A few seasons ago I won £1099 on ante posts but I have suffered for that good fortune ever since.

stop telling everyone what you have won whilst omitting your losses.

There are less than 5 professional gamblers (so the bookies say) who make a living from punting and apparently they would not consider betting on football or hordse racing as you CANNOT beat the bookies in these two sports.

In short give it up as there is no system that can break the stranglehold bookies have to rape the dreamers of the world.

My mums cousin who came up from England spends his life following the horses round each meet gathering information off trainers and makes a living off this, I believe there must be more than 5 professional gamblers.

Is poker allowed in this section? If so, never raise from the small blind unless stealing, it will lead the big blind to eventually f**k up! P.s I've made 120 euros at poker tonight after winning 2 thirty people tourneys! Im so happy

Well done. Tonight I came 2nd in an Omaha tourney with 99 people in it winning 198$ Pc crashed when down to 3 people left when I was leading- quite annoying!

My main points i'd like to add:

-It is sometimes worth sticking a 'saver' on if you have a chance to place it if you only have one result to come in to win you a lot of money. Ensure you at least cover your losses incase the unlikely happens.

-Be careful about betting on teams in the first legs of two legged ties. Often one team will be playing for a draw. For example - When Dinipro played Aberdeen at Pittodrie in the Uefa Cup earlier this season. I was quite annoyed when they werent even bothering their arse to try and get forward.

-Dont be scared to bet against your team if you feel your knowledge will give you an edge vs the bookermakers if they are giving incorrect odds.

I wont start talking about poker, as there is too much to say!

Guest zonker84
stop telling everyone what you have won whilst omitting your losses.

There are less than 5 professional gamblers (so the bookies say) who make a living from punting and apparently they would not consider betting on football or hordse racing as you CANNOT beat the bookies in these two sports.

In short give it up as there is no system that can break the stranglehold bookies have to rape the dreamers of the world.

5 professional gamblers? :lol: Never heard anything so daft. There are thousands in the UK. Plenty of people make substantial profits at horse racing and football too. Just because you yourself cannot manage it does not mean that there are not others who can.

Of course most people (around 97% apparently) who gamble regularly lose. If you're smart, there's never been a better time to be able to win than now though.

It's not just about picking winners. Even if you are good at that, you have to have a sensible staking plan (I see loads of people in this forum doing massive accumulators - not a wise move for many reasons) and discipline.

Having the self-control not to do stupid things when something has gone against you is the number one thing to being successful at gambling IMO. B)

If you're smart, there's never been a better time to be able to win than now though.

Correct. Betfair has been a shot in the arm for punters, and made it all the more embarrassing how much of a take the traditional bookies have.

I find it very difficult to believe it possible to make a long term career out of punting without having insider knowledge. Certainly the guys who are pro racing punters (like Dave Nevison for instance) will have ins with major stables and jockeys.

Your punter from Fife with a laptop and the Racing Post aint going to make a living very easily. ditto for betting on football, unless you only bet for/against a team which you are privy to insider knowledge.

Guest Ron Burgundy
5 professional gamblers? :lol: Never heard anything so daft. There are thousands in the UK. Plenty of people make substantial profits at horse racing and football too. Just because you yourself cannot manage it does not mean that there are not others who can.

Of course most people (around 97% apparently) who gamble regularly lose. If you're smart, there's never been a better time to be able to win than now though.

well that is a direct quote from one of britains most successful gamblers angus loughrin who gets phone calls from bookies looking for advice, but I spose you might no more about it than him.

I will admit this information is pre-betfair type stuff but I still truly believe the figures are sound.

well that is a direct quote from one of britains most successful gamblers angus loughrin who gets phone calls from bookies looking for advice, but I spose you might no more about it than him.

I will admit this information is pre-betfair type stuff but I still truly believe the figures are sound.

Statto, Statto!!

My next bet is on Saturday Norwich to beat Bury. I expect to get somewhere in the region of 1.33. Obviously this is likley to win hence the odds, but that is my whole point. I only back games where I think the odds are in my favour. If this match was played 100 times, (based on current squad + stats etc) I would not expect Bury to get a result 33 times. hence the odds are in my favour.

Reasoning:

Bury have picked up 1 point out of the last 21. Norwich have picked up 14 out of the past 21. 9 game unbeaten run for the canaries. Bury on the other hand have not won in their last 7 league games.

Bury are only in the 3rd round courtesy of a kind draw against non league opposition to date and even then it has taken late goals in both games to win (and home advantage!)

I know this is not the place to be putting up bets but I disagree with Ron Burgundys points.

:ph34r:

I do agree with your main point though. However you have to be very disciplined. Some weeks it might not be worth putting anything on.

I find it very difficult to get my head round the idea of someone being a professional gambler on mainly just football. Look at yesterday. Perhaps the pro gambler wouldn't touch FA Cup third round day but Haitch lost £100 and going by his system will take 2-3 weeks to make that back, and that's assuming he doesn't suffer another big loss. I had a small amount on Rochdale yesterday. They'd just stuck three past the tightest defence in England in midweek(Darlington) and were at home to woeful Lincoln, third bottom with only seven away points. They lost 2-0. How can you legislate for results like that? Or Berwick scoring two goals in the last five minutes to snatch a draw. Safest home on the entire coupon was surely Norwich.

I find it very difficult to get my head round the idea of someone being a professional gambler on mainly just football. Look at yesterday. Perhaps the pro gambler wouldn't touch FA Cup third round day but Haitch lost £100 and going by his system will take 2-3 weeks to make that back, and that's assuming he doesn't suffer another big loss. I had a small amount on Rochdale yesterday. They'd just stuck three past the tightest defence in England in midweek(Darlington) and were at home to woeful Lincoln, third bottom with only seven away points. They lost 2-0. How can you legislate for results like that? Or Berwick scoring two goals in the last five minutes to snatch a draw. Safest home on the entire coupon was surely Norwich.

The safest bet was Arsenal at 1/3 instead of Norwich. Obviously that's easy to say now in hindsight but if I'm betting large at short odds I like to sort of trust the team that they're going to win, i.e. make sure it's a good team you're relying on and not some inconsistant Championship side (see Real tonight - my only bet of the weekend)

Maybe that's a good rule...

Something like "only bet on good teams at short odds" :lol: