Where Can You Get A Red Pudding?

King Kebab

Further evidence of the outrageous and greasy lies that we're swallowing far too fucking easily here, people. Chips? Steak? Nowhere to be found when you unwrap the Murdoch-owned wrapper on a chipsteak supper. Is anyone complaining? Nope. We just keep stuffing our faces with the unhealthiest food in the universe, food that clogs our arteries and clouds our minds. Somewhere along the way the wool was pulled tightly over our eyes, friends. When it was time to ask serious questions we meekly requested a couple of pickled onions and a bottle of Irn Bru.

Clearly from the posh part of Dundee. 20p for a small bottle of some liquid they have the cheek to label "juice" - the ones that feel like they burning your insides - is the real mans drink.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

According to Wiki;

Red pudding is a meat dish served mainly at chip shops in parts of Scotland as an alternative to fish (see fish and chips). The ingredients consist of bacon, beef, port, pork rind, suet, rusks, spices, salt, beef stock, beef fat and colouring.

This clumpy red-coloured mixture is then formed into a large sausage-like shape of roughly eight inches in length, no different from its black and white pudding relatives. To encase it, the food is thickly coated in batter, deep fried, and served hot, ready to be taken away. Bought on its own it is known as a single red, or when accompanied by chips it is known as a red pudding supper.

The taste is said to be similar to a saveloy, a type of pork sausage, though battered sausage is also served in Scotland (in addition to red pudding on menus) that could be more akin to saveloy. Some red puddings do not taste like saveloy as they have no smoked meat in them, a large amount of pepper, and are quite pale in colour.

There is also a red pudding which is made entirely of pork, is highly seasoned, and is made in a ring just like black pudding. It is very finely minced, and identified by being in a red casing, just as black pudding is sold in a black casing. This red pudding is completely different from the red pudding available in chip shops. It was traditionally made by "German" pork butchers in parts of Scotland, mostly on the East coast. It was traditionally cooked for breakfast, often replacing sausages.

Red Puddings are referred to as "Russians" in South Africa, usually available at Fish and Chips shops as a popular alternative to fish.

With regards to the final sentence, I think we should start a new move in Scotland and start referring to ours as "Joycies"

This whole thread is confusing the hell out of me, I always assumed that Red/White/Black and haggis puddings were a mainstay of chippy's all over Scotland but now

I find that there are people out there who have not tried some of these delicacies and worse still did not know of their existence.

Proof if ever it was needed that there is in fact no God.

I feel for the folk that haven't tried a red pudding. There would be outrage if a chippy up here didn't sell them.

For best results, serve with chips, beans, buttered bread and a cup of tea. *drool*

I feel for the folk that haven't tried a red pudding. There would be outrage if a chippy up here didn't sell them.

For best results, serve with chips, beans, buttered bread and a cup of tea. *drool*

Red pudding from the Kebab House in Inverness. You'll be firing on all cylinders from both ends for the rest of the week.

I've had red pudding once (from said establishment) and won't try it again. However that probably goes for most things from the Kebab House.

I'd never heard of red pudding until now.

On the subject though, I was quite surprised when I went in to a chippy in Edinburgh and they never done fritters.

"The ingredients consist of bacon, beef, port, pork rind, suet, rusks, spices, salt, beef stock, beef fat and colouring. This clumpy red-coloured mixture is then formed into a large sausage-like shape of roughly eight inches in length, no different from its black and white pudding relatives. To encase it, the food is thickly coated in batter, deep fried, and served hot, ready to be taken away."

Red-sceptic though I am, I have to say that sounds fantastic. I might take the plunge next time I have a chippy tea.

Question for the red pudding veterans: how should this be approached in terms of sauce? I'm a card-carrying broon man, but when I do go for tomato it's to accompany a white pudding or fish supper. My chippy/sauce convention suggests tomato should be the way to tackle it but I'd appreciate some wisdom from those in the know.

"The ingredients consist of bacon, beef, port, pork rind, suet, rusks, spices, salt, beef stock, beef fat and colouring. This clumpy red-coloured mixture is then formed into a large sausage-like shape of roughly eight inches in length, no different from its black and white pudding relatives. To encase it, the food is thickly coated in batter, deep fried, and served hot, ready to be taken away."

Red-sceptic though I am, I have to say that sounds fantastic. I might take the plunge next time I have a chippy tea.

Question for the red pudding veterans: how should this be approached in terms of sauce? I'm a card-carrying broon man, but when I do go for tomato it's to accompany a white pudding or fish supper. My chippy/sauce convention suggests tomato should be the way to tackle it but I'd appreciate some wisdom from those in the know.

Have to admit, once I'd seen the ingredients I fancied trying one myself.

Wonder if you can get one with extra Port?

Brown sauce for a red, tomato for fish (needs the acidity) and for black.

Solid advice.

Curry sauce for a white pudding.

Crazy talk. I haven't tried it (because I'm halfway sane) but surely to f**k that's not working. White puddings are a tomato sauce affair.

Red pudding is a bisauceual, happy to go either way.

:D

On the chippy theme, does anyone buy and like these wee jars of pickled mussels?

I love mussels but dont fancy this version much

Maintain your love for mussels by avoiding the wee jars. They're not terrible, but they're a poor substitute for eating them fresh. Same deal as tuna, and all seafood, really. If you've only tried the tinned version you haven't really tasted the fish.

On the chippy theme, does anyone buy and like these wee jars of pickled mussels?

I love mussels but dont fancy this version much

If you love pickles and love mussels then get wired in. I quite enjoy a jar when i'm in the bath! i'm total pickle fiend though, cannae beat the vinegar sweats.

Barry try a White pudding supper with curry sauce then come back and call me a mad man, it is a thing of joy.

f**k it, if I'm breaking the habit of a lifetime with my selction of chippy pudding I may as well push the boat right out and go oriental with my usual preference.

I reckon I might get away with requesting a red pudding sampler before I go the whole hog and order a supper. The big dame who works in the spell-binding Deep Sea at the bottom of the Perth Road has a twinkle in her eye for me, and while I've previously had nothing but contempt and a concealed harpoon gun for her, it's high time I indulged her with a bit of charm in order to get a bite-worth just to get a taste for it. If it tastes as good as it reads on Wikipedia it should be a treat.

As for the white pudding and curry sauce, well that's going to involve going to a Chinese takeaway for the sauce. The Deep Sea is old school, you see. It does not partake in modern chippy habits like the offering of exotic sauces, or acting like a basterdised convenience store where nappies, fags and other things a smoking baby might enjoy are available for purchase. If I told them I planned on eating my white pudding with curry sauce I'd be chased out of there and banned for life. I will give it a whirl sometime though.

Broon aw the way Barry lad.

Archived