Caledonian F.c. Thread

RayBees

, Roddie McDonald from Brora Rangers to Celtic

Not really anything at all to do with Caley, but.....a few of us were up for QP's pre-season tour in 1972, with one of the matches being against Caley, I think. Sitting in Gellions during a lock-in (no all-day drinking then!) and Roddie McDonald was in the corner totally pished and asleep. He had just signed for Celtic, whose manager was Jock Stein at that time.

The barman knows who McDonald is and picks up the phone shouting, "Is there a Roddie McDonald in the bar?" The guy is woken up and is all over the shop....."Aye, aye...who is it?"

"Some guy from Glasgow called Jock. Needs to speak to you" Absolutely hilarious as McDonald tries to pull himself together to field this non-existent call from Jock Stein. The place was in uproar when he realised he'd been set up. Happy days.

https://t.co/wk6fGfI2N4

This may have been posted in here before but I thought it was really interesting.

Great film and a great result as Clach and Buckie were the real forces in the HL at this point in time. That's Boby Bolt lifting the trophy at the end of the film, joined Caley from Rangers in 1948 and around 2.23, the grandstand shot includes Dan Lowrie who was President of the club in the early 70s, not long after I had started watching the Caley

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
1 hour ago, Garve said:

I've been given this photo of the 1948/49 Qualifying Cup winners. Anyone know who the unknown suit is. Also let me know if I've spelt any names wrong please.

http://www.theinvernessarchive.org/picture/number131.asp

Well done - obvious what the Inverness Archive thinks of me as I'm getting adverts at the side for young Asian women :lol:

did you upload this or was it already there? I'd like to add it to the Caley Nostalgia Page. I see Peter McKinnon there - I was always getting queries about him from expat Caley folk so he must have been some player. 

Feel free. I uploaded it, but the photo was lent to me by an elderly neighbour who played occasionally for Caley in the 60s. He's like to know who the one person he can't identify is.

Edited by Garve
Added content

• 8 months later...
On 8/3/2007 at 09:38, highlandcowden said:

Roddie Davidson

Wad and Jimmy Gilmour for their attitude during the merger

Roddie is my boss and a nicer guy you couldn't meet. Helped me a lot in my job. John Beaton another legend is another boss. Another Inverness hero.

On 10/30/2007 at 22:31, RayBees said:

Wow, 11 pages of the Caley Memorial Thread - great stuff.

Now for a new topic: Who was the greatest Caley manager?

In my time, and this will be true for Dirty Arab, Caledonian108, and Howdenender, there were only 3: Peter Corbett, John Docherty, and Sergei Baltacha.

Clearly, the worst of these was Baltacha who, although by all accounts a nice guy, his crap tactics and negative football played their part in the mediocre final season. I believe he was also poor coaching some other outfit...

Doc was a Caley legend but proved to be less popular with the fame hungry fans and i remember him getting some right abuse before he left. As for Corbett, all i can say is he came round to my house once with a birthday card signed by all the players, so he wins my vote, also he may have won a few trophies.

What about John Beaton? How did he do? Not a Caley fan but my two bosses are John and Roddie Davidson and two nicer people you couldn't meet.

• 1 year later...

Caley Legend. Joined from County in close season 1986 along with Alan Duff and was pretty well a fixture in the team from his arrival (apart from his brief sojourn to Australia) , scoring twice on his debut in a pre season friendly v Cowdenbeath in a 5-0 win.  At one point in season 91-92 was joint top scorer in the Scottish Cup having netted v Stenhousemuir (right foot), Clyde (header) and St Johnstone (cool as cool penalty) and an incredible goals per game ratio for a mid fielder.  

RIP, Alan, a real hero of the Howden Enders

Caley Legend. Joined from County in close season 1986 along with Alan Duff and was pretty well a fixture in the team from his arrival (apart from his brief sojourn to Australia) , scoring twice on his debut in a pre season friendly v Cowdenbeath in a 5-0 win.  At one point in season 91-92 was joint top scorer in the Scottish Cup having netted v Stenhousemuir (right foot), Clyde (header) and St Johnstone (cool as cool penalty) and an incredible goals per game ratio for a mid fielder.  

RIP, Alan, a real hero of the Howden Enders

Remember Hercher very well as a rival from the late 80's HL days (I followed the Jags). Sad to see anyone go so young.

On related notes, as some names are coming up I recognise:

I remember John Beaton and Roddie Davidson very well. Another couple of names for you are Derek Dewar, who was my PE teacher/football coach all through secondary school at Culloden Academy. Smashing guy, and I remember him turning up randomly at Kingsmills playing RB for a shite Lossie  team we scudded 6-0 IIRC. Made of actual granite.

I played Street League/Youth League for several years too. The outstanding player in my year was a winger/striker called Karl MacKay. I think he made it to the fringes of the Caley first team, anyone shed any light on that?

11 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Remember Hercher very well as a rival from the late 80's HL days (I followed the Jags). Sad to see anyone go so young.

On related notes, as some names are coming up I recognise:

I remember John Beaton and Roddie Davidson very well. Another couple of names for you are Derek Dewar, who was my PE teacher/football coach all through secondary school at Culloden Academy. Smashing guy, and I remember him turning up randomly at Kingsmills playing RB for a shite Lossie  team we scudded 6-0 IIRC. Made of actual granite.

I played Street League/Youth League for several years too. The outstanding player in my year was a winger/striker called Karl MacKay. I think he made it to the fringes of the Caley first team, anyone shed any light on that?

Karl Mackay was with Caley. He had a lot of  potential and was a first team squad player by his late teens.  I think he was loaned to Nairn and sold to  Clach in 1991; he was seen as being a niche signing for them.  He dropped out of HL football a few years later and by his late 20s, instead of being a HL star like he looked like being in his late teens, he was playing junior for Nairn St Ninians.  Don’t know the story but he seems to have been a wasted talent; shame as he really was a very promising player

Edited by PRS