Caledonian F.c. Thread

RayBees

This is a thread for chatter about the real Caley, no discussion of ICT please.

Ok here it is by popular demand (even if it's only me and PRS). I'm sure Jaggies are allowed to contribute a small amount though.

Hey PRS I've been wondering what dya reckon Wilsie, Kevin Mann, et al are up to these days? They should be in some sort of Hall of Fame or something. Living legends!

Edited by RayBees

You lot ruined many a Saturday in my youth, but is depressed me even then to see a club disappear under the circumstances (and that includes Thistle as well, depsite Lossie beating them in their last ever game :lol: ).

I hear there is some new team in Inverness called Caledonian, are they in anyway related?

There's a team playing in the Inverness amateur league called Caledonian. Think thats maybe what you've heard of.

Trips to Lossie were always nice. It always seemed sunny when i visited and we used to take the football and go for a kickaround in the park before the game. Ahhhh.

Ok here it is by popular demand (even if it's only me and PRS). I'm sure Jaggies are allowed to contribute a small amount though.

Hey PRS I've been wondering what dya reckon Wilsie, Kevin Mann, et al are up to these days? They should be in some sort of Hall of Fame or something. Living legends!

Not sure what Wilsie and Kevin are up to but I went to see them play for Bon Accord at Beith in the Junior Cup about 10 years ago. Both are Caley legends. They signed for Caley in 1980 and were still there in 1994, travelling for every game from Aberdeen. Caley had a tradition of long serving players travelling from Aberdeen. Bob Summers from 1974 to around 1988, the great Allan Presslie from 1963 to 1978. I think his son, Paul played for Lossie, no doubt Jimmy Shaker can confirm. When Elvis Pressley died in 1977, the Howden End made up their own "tribute" (to Campdown Races) "Elvis is dead,but Alan lives on, doo da etc".

I miss Caley. They were one of the teams that made the HFL special and a trip to Telford Street or a visit from Caley were among the highlights of the season as you always felt it was a big game against a big club.

Although I like the inclusion of Wick Academy and Inverurie Locos in the HFL these days, these clubs haven't replaced the likes of Caley and Elgin City - and I think the HFL is a lot poorer as a result.

It's not the same anymore. Although what happened with the Caley and Inverness Thistle merger obviously affected you guys more than anyone as you actually lost your clubs, I think it was felt further afield through all fans of HFL fitba as well.

Guest clacher2

clubs in inverness have been merging for over 100 years.

ever heard of citadel, inverness celtic etc caley never died

sends a shiver down my spine when i think what mightve been if the merger never went ahead the time it did. in 2 weeks we're playing the gers at home in a run of the mill league game, a team with more support in inverness than ict do, who we took 7 from 9 points of them last time out. 15 years ago a rangers XI coming north for a pre season kick around wouldve been like a cup final, there will be 7,500 people at the league game and regardless of whos playing its remarkable what caley have achieved since the merger surely having one club in inverness with almost 3,000 season ticket holders is better than two with about 100.

live in the past if you want, the ground was embarrassing, the legends wouldnt last 5 minutes today and the highland league gash on show every week would make most inverness fans stomach turn. nobody should get all bleary eyed thinking about it, most of the old howden enders i meet at the football today can get a bit nostalgic over a pint but every one to a man knows whats happened since has made it all worthwhile

besides all that.. as i say to them, who the hell says caley died ^_^

its remarkable what caley have achieved since the merger, surely having one club in inverness with almost 3,000 season ticket holders is better than two with about 100.

live in the past if you want, the ground was embarrassing, the legends wouldnt last 5 minutes today and the highland league gash on show every week would make most inverness fans stomach turn. nobody should get all bleary eyed thinking about it, most of the old howden enders i meet at the football today can get a bit nostalgic over a pint but every one to a man knows whats happened since has made it all worthwhile

You don't know what you are talking about, do you. The only thing achieved since the merger was a fake plastic club with a fake plastic support who will all disappear upon relegation, and a new Currys on the site of a football ground.

sends a shiver down my spine when i think what mightve been if the merger never went ahead the time it did. in 2 weeks we're playing the gers at home in a run of the mill league game, a team with more support in inverness than ict do, who we took 7 from 9 points of them last time out. 15 years ago a rangers XI coming north for a pre season kick around wouldve been like a cup final, there will be 7,500 people at the league game and regardless of whos playing its remarkable what caley have achieved since the merger surely having one club in inverness with almost 3,000 season ticket holders is better than two with about 100.

Oh Clacher no one asked for an ICT opinion. This is a Caley thread not an ICT one so maybe you should, y'know, go away. It sends a shiver down my spine thinking about the merger and how it absolutely wasn't worth it, so there you go. I think Caley could've achieved a whole lot more than ICT ever will on their own but that wasn't allowed so boohoo. I don't lose sleep over it but i would like you to get back to your pre fab stadium for the game against the ****. I'm sure the match will be dull and the atmosphere non existent as usual. Loads of Rangers fans will be sitting in your end singing horrible songs louder than you.

Let us have our memorial thread and just why don't you stay away? We stay away from your ground after all.

Raybees can remember the season the Jags should have won the league 1987/88 fan we came fae 3-1 doon tae beat Caley 4-3 at Telford Street and we bottled it by getting beat by the Bloo Toon at hame on he last seterday o the season meaning we had to go up to Clach and win 8-0 in the last game. That game ended 2-2 and thus Caley pipped Buckie to the title again

Raybees can remember the season the Jags should have won the league 1987/88 fan we came fae 3-1 doon tae beat Caley 4-3 at Telford Street and we bottled it by getting beat by the Bloo Toon at hame on he last seterday o the season meaning we had to go up to Clach and win 8-0 in the last game. That game ended 2-2 and thus Caley pipped Buckie to the title again

That sounds like the mother of all gutting ends to the season B.A. I was about 7/8 years old at the time so can't quite remember it. It must've been the equivalent of when Hearts blew the title in '86 in terms of fans crying in their bovril. As for not beating Clach.....the shame! Wasn't that at the start of their pish years??

Caley-County games in the early 90s were almost always crackers - good crowds, good banter, loads of goals. Billy Ferries was another all time legend - i used to hate him, Gordon Connolly and Barry Wilson. One time I shouted something at Connolly and he came up to me and threatened to beat up my dad!!

I like County now though. A lot of my Black Isle mates are County fans. I was at the Gretna game in April and it was absolutely gutting.

Edited by RayBees

Guest clacher2

oh boo f#ckin hoo, no point attempting to deal with any of you lot is there, like i said too bleary eyed about a past that is exactly where it should be.

you ever see caley win at ibrox and parkhead?

every seen them play at hampden? ever seen the name inverness on a scoreboard winning a scottish cup semi?

ever see them win national trophies?

all of that actually means hee-haw to me being honest but it puts whatever nonsense youre talking about above into perspective. if the fans didnt want it, they wouldnt have voted for it.

since the merger the people of inverness have been voting with their feet every second saturday since 1994.

and as above.... caley didnt die

if the fans didnt want it, they wouldnt have voted for it.

I thought fans didn't vote for it though.

I thought the vote was won by the pro-merger lobby bringing in a raft of new members to vote in favour of the merger?

I thought fans didn't vote for it though.

I thought the vote was won by the pro-merger lobby bringing in a raft of new members to vote in favour of the merger?

Correct mate. Clacher is acting like a clown without makeup. And he really has a problem with Caley fans and fans of Highland league teams.

Edited by RayBees

Caley didn't die.

ICT constantly get called Caley.

The fans that go sing 'Caley,Caley'.

The ground is called the Caledonian Stadium.

The home strips have been mostly blue.

Caley didn't die, but Thistle did!

Caley didn't die, but Thistle did!

Nope, they both died unfortunately. I don't care what the ICT fans chant - to most folk they are ICT or just plain old Inverness - either way they are a club that was borne out of the strangulation of two proud old clubs in a political battle. Another Franchise FC.

There is one hell of a gaping hole in the Highland League.

Nope, they both died unfortunately. I don't care what the ICT fans chant - to most folk they are ICT or just plain old Inverness - either way they are a club that was borne out of the strangulation of two proud old clubs in a political battle. Another Franchise FC.

There is one hell of a gaping hole in the Highland League.

Bang on. ICT fans can chant "Caley, Caley" as much as they like, but they are not Caley and to those of us who actually supported the Caley or Thistle, they never were and never will be. Great idea, lets merge these two clubs to try to get people who dont attend football to watch and never mind that in the process we'll stuff the fans who actually did support these teams.

go f**k yourself