Hillwalking Thread

I'm planning on doing Beinn Ghlas, Lawers, Meall Greigh, Garbh and An Stuc in one go once the days are a little longer and warmer.    I was planning starting from the forestry car park  as it's a higher point to start from and finishing at the Hotel but my old man reckons it would be better heading in the other direction so as to give an easier decent from An Stuc.  Anyone done either of those routes?
I did the 7 there about 5 years ago, starting from the nature reserve side and took a slightly iffy line off An Stuc, which was deeply unpleasant. It's much easier in ascent, so it might be a plan to start with Meall Greigh, either a two car job, or a long walk from the nature reserve on the old hydro track.

Also, after a spell of losing interest in hillwalking I got my arse back out for a compleation on the Tarmachan Ridge last week, then up to Braemar on Friday night for a few drinks then a third attempt at Beinn Mheadhoin. I don't recommend doing that with a hangover - a tough cycle in where every exhalation tasted like whisky, a slow walk, a much needed 20 minute kip in the Hutchy, followed by a dangerous as f**k river crossing and a thankfully decent cycle out. 

All this after spending an hour turning the Hostel upside down trying to find my car keys in the morning :lol:

Meall nan Tarmachan

40769450744_8b93df2b0f_z.jpg

Beinn Mheadhoin

27593236168_9aa689be43_z.jpg

40571417225_95b4e1c677_z.jpg

26592782587_4a41936643_z.jpg

Edited by jupe1407

13 hours ago, ark loyal said:

I'm planning on doing Beinn Ghlas, Lawers, Meall Greigh, Garbh and An Stuc in one go once the days are a little longer and warmer.    I was planning starting from the forestry car park  as it's a higher point to start from and finishing at the Hotel but my old man reckons it would be better heading in the other direction so as to give an easier decent from An Stuc.  Anyone done either of those routes?

I have done it from the hotel in the days when I was too stupid to think about start and end height. I barely noticed the climb but An Stuc in ascent but coming down is always more tricky.

If you really don't want to do it you could head back down to the bealach before An Stuc and bypass to the north. It's steep grass but doable with care. The caveat to that would be that a north facing coire would be likely to hold snow late into the season.

Not been out on a few months so just trying to get distance into legs at moment so had a wee explore in the hills between Strathardle and Dunkeld.

Sarah's bothy is well worth a visit if you are ever up that way. Be warned though half the leftover tracks on the OS explorer don't exist.

Edited by invergowrie arab

I did the 7 last summer, starting at the Lawers Hotel. Only mistake we made was not having enough water as it was scorching that day.

Made it to the Lawers Dam before finishing the last drop of water we had. Luckily managed to hitch it back, rather than walk the 8 miles back to the car.

16 hours ago, jupe1407 said:

Also, after a spell of losing interest in hillwalking I got my arse back out for a compleation on the Tarmachan Ridge last week, then up to Braemar on Friday night for a few drinks then a third attempt at Beinn Mheadhoin. I don't recommend doing that with a hangover - a tough cycle in where every exhalation tasted like whisky, a slow walk, a much needed 20 minute kip in the Hutchy, followed by a dangerous as f**k river crossing and a thankfully decent cycle out. 

All this after spending an hour turning the Hostel upside down trying to find my car keys in the morning :lol:

Meall nan Tarmachan

40769450744_8b93df2b0f_z.jpg

Beinn Mheadhoin

27593236168_9aa689be43_z.jpg

40571417225_95b4e1c677_z.jpg

26592782587_4a41936643_z.jpg

Where was the river crossing? I biked it from Linn o Dee via Derry and then up to the Hutchy when I did it, but don't remembering anything dodgy (and this was on a december day after a lot of rain)

Where was the river crossing? I biked it from Linn o Dee via Derry and then up to the Hutchy when I did it, but don't remembering anything dodgy (and this was on a december day after a lot of rain)
Just before the paths split. It's not named on the map but I think it's the Allt a'Chaorainn. It ranges from a trickle in summer to full on spate with the snowmelt down off the Moine Bhealaidh.

1 minute ago, jupe1407 said:
3 minutes ago, Swello said:

Just before the paths split. It's not named on the map but I think it's the Allt a'Chaorainn. It ranges from a trickle in summer to full on spate with the snowmelt down off the Moine Bhealaidh.

There was pretty much nothing there at that point for me (or I was so busy trying to get up and off the hill before it got dark that I didn't notice :) )

45 minutes ago, jupe1407 said:
47 minutes ago, Swello said:

It's the Glas Allt Mòr that causes problems in Glen Derry. I had to go half way up to the Moine Bhealaidh to get over it a few Easter's ago.

It's the Glas Allt Mòr that causes problems in Glen Derry. I had to go half way up to the Moine Bhealaidh to get over it a few Easter's ago.
Ah that's it. I was too fucked to gain height so just accepted cold wet feet and hoped to make it across [emoji38]

Anyone here done the two Beinn Dearg Corbetts from Gruinard?

Should the weather play ball in early May, they'll be the first section of a mini-epic hopefully culminating in a summit camp on A'Mhaighdean. Wondered what the scrambling was like, and if it'll be any dodgier carrying a heavy-ish pack. 

3 hours ago, spud131 said:

Going up to Glencoe at the weekend and considering doing Buachaille etive mor. Anyone know what the snow is like up there just now?

Plenty snow still above 800m . What route are you taking? If you are taking the standard baggers route you could well find your way blocked at the top of Coire na Tulaich as it always holds snow late into the season 

5 minutes ago, spud131 said:

Any recommendations for other munro's in the area which might be less affected by snow?

All munros are going to have snow  for  another week or two. The least technical of the Glencoe munros is Buachaille Etive Beag, no coires and no north facing slopes and nothing particularly steep but don't be afraid to turn back if it isn't working out.

All munros are going to have snow  for  another week or two. The least technical of the Glencoe munros is Buachaille Etive Beag, no coires and no north facing slopes and nothing particularly steep but don't be afraid to turn back if it isn't working out.

Ended up doing Buachaille Etive Beag yesterday. Good couple of summits and thankfully not too much snow!

Good forecast on Saturday, so after a 2 hours kip (thanks to our new anti-social c**t of a neighbour), left the house in Forfar at 4am to drive to Kilfinnan and the Loch Lochy pair. Biked in the forest track, then a fairly standard route. Although I had to lose height and tackle Meall na Teanga much lower down thanks to a mahoosive cornice. Absolutely fucked after it though and hasd to kip for a while in a layby beside Loch Laggan. Grand day out overall. 

41594086842_ffa0994769_z.jpg

Meall na Teanga

41594073482_6a933b03a3_z.jpg

Sron a'Choire Garbh summit plateau, Teanga and Nevis beyond

41634012471_d24caa8297_z.jpg

A couple of walkers on the "alternative" approach to Meall na Teanga

Nice narrative.  Worth it for this photo alone?
Tbh I preferred the first summit, the second one is a fairly featureless plateau, the first one was a bit narrower with great views on the Nevis range and the Grey Corries. The second was slightly less stressful to ascend right enough [emoji38]