Hillwalking Thread

• 1 month later...
On 2/28/2017 at 23:12, Shandon Par said:

Edney briefly admired the landscape near the summit of 1,371ft Dumyat in the Ochil Hills before trudging off.

Had to read that twice 

Up until last weekend I hadn't been out since the end of January due to mainly cycling. However a "perfect storm" of good weather forecast, favourable low-tide times and potential for decent night skies meant I had the chance to tick a summit camp on Skye's Sgurr na Stri off the bucket list. It's by some distance the finest view I've ever had from anywhere. I didn't see another soul from the minute I left the car park at Kilmarie until I got with a mile of it on the return. Total peace and quiet apart from a distant waterfall and the odd bit of birdsong. It was a truly amazing experience. Couple of issues with dehydration but other than that, absolutely perfect. 

33539761182_97a515c3d2_z.jpg

32853305734_1d5292d5e6_z.jpg

33539755642_3e1c4e22bc_z.jpg

32853289124_96c4522f7b_z.jpg

36 minutes ago, jupe1407 said:

Up until last weekend I hadn't been out since the end of January due to mainly cycling. However a "perfect storm" of good weather forecast, favourable low-tide times and potential for decent night skies meant I had the chance to tick a summit camp on Skye's Sgurr na Stri off the bucket list. It's by some distance the finest view I've ever had from anywhere. I didn't see another soul from the minute I left the car park at Kilmarie until I got with a mile of it on the return. Total peace and quiet apart from a distant waterfall and the odd bit of birdsong. It was a truly amazing experience. Couple of issues with dehydration but other than that, absolutely perfect. 

33539761182_97a515c3d2_z.jpg

32853305734_1d5292d5e6_z.jpg

33539755642_3e1c4e22bc_z.jpg

32853289124_96c4522f7b_z.jpg

Some stunning photos, Had a read of your walk report, always remember to pack a 1/2 dozen lighters. The sunrise and sunset photos are also fantastic. 

1 minute ago, dirty dingus said:

Some stunning photos, Had a read of your walk report, always remember to pack a 1/2 dozen lighters. The sunrise and sunset photos are also fantastic. 

Thanks mate. Yeah I was absolutely kicking myself for a good while for not having a spare. Then kicking myself again once I'd found the thing for losing it somewhere so obvious :lol:

Nobody out 'n' about in the good weather? Done Bidean nam Bian yesterday, bit of a brute. Took 7 hrs as we had to retrace our walk up due to dodgy snow at bellach down to hidden valley. 
17795865_1433572383361315_6983445046476315519_n.thumb.jpg.1e46de31f66f9ddd0148166e352d69a1.jpg

Done it a few years ago. An impressive mountain, long day as twinned it with its neighbour. Then the precipitous drop into Glen on descent, was interesting to say the least.

Quite a few unfortunate people have taken wrong turn and ended up on buttresses and walking off in bad weather.

1 hour ago, Father Ted said:

Done it a few years ago. An impressive mountain, long day as twinned it with its neighbour. Then the precipitous drop into Glen on descent, was interesting to say the least.

Quite a few unfortunate people have taken wrong turn and ended up on buttresses and walking off in bad weather.

I think we did it in November 2014 IIRC. Went up Beinn Fhada to SGS first, then across to Bidean and then that wonderful descent down Bealach Dearg. I could certainly see why folk sometimes come a cropper in proper winter conditions there. 

We went ahead and did Ben Lomond the other week there. Was good but similar to when I did Nevis last year, fog everywhere and could barely see 10 metres in front of us. Decent craic at the top with fellow walkers though. Doing Cruach Ardrain and Beinn Tulaichen next Friday with another squad of not so experienced climbers, hoping for better weather. We're going by train so any advice on getting to a start point appreciated, seems a 20 minute walk down the A82 to a small car park is correct?

2 hours ago, Big Fifer said:

We went ahead and did Ben Lomond the other week there. Was good but similar to when I did Nevis last year, fog everywhere and could barely see 10 metres in front of us. Decent craic at the top with fellow walkers though. Doing Cruach Ardrain and Beinn Tulaichen next Friday with another squad of not so experienced climbers, hoping for better weather. We're going by train so any advice on getting to a start point appreciated, seems a 20 minute walk down the A82 to a small car park is correct?

Yes - long lay-by on the A82 and there's a railway tunnel to pass under (if you're going the way I think you're going).

I did those two from Inverlochlarig. Plodded NE up Beinn Tulaichean's slopes and eventually things levelled out. Descent walk over to Cruach Ardrain but it was cloudy and we had no views. Dropped down to the east from the bealach to the track next to Inverlochlarig burn and back to the start.

58e3638ad3618_11.TheroutetoCruachArdrain.jpg.7f73d519a3662ef354320f06ea803c1d.jpg

Cruach Ardrain from near the col below Beinn Tulaichean.

58e3638ec9cf6_21.BeinnTulaicheanfromthedescentofCruachArdrain.jpg.1862e7a735acc61e18f7cc88e70bdfaa.jpg

Beinn Tulaichean from the descent of Cruach Ardrain.

Yes - long lay-by on the A82 and there's a railway tunnel to pass under (if you're going the way I think you're going).
I did those two from Inverlochlarig. Plodded NE up Beinn Tulaichean's slopes and eventually things levelled out. Descent walk over to Cruach Ardrain but it was cloudy and we had no views. Dropped down to the east from the bealach to the track next to Inverlochlarig burn and back to the start.

58e3638ad3618_11.TheroutetoCruachArdrain.jpg.7f73d519a3662ef354320f06ea803c1d.jpg
Cruach Ardrain from near the col below Beinn Tulaichean.
58e3638ec9cf6_21.BeinnTulaicheanfromthedescentofCruachArdrain.jpg.1862e7a735acc61e18f7cc88e70bdfaa.jpg
Beinn Tulaichean from the descent of Cruach Ardrain.

Yeah we're going that way; from your post it seems you went Beinn Tulaichean first?

23 minutes ago, Big Fifer said:

Yeah we're going that way; from your post it seems you went Beinn Tulaichean first?

Yes. The photo below shows (roughly) my route up. We climbed diagonally up from the right (this is looking at it from an ascent of Stob a' Choin to the south).58e3723d84b36_16.BeinnTulaichean.jpg.63e845066483396b417c5cd3bcd2bd21.jpg

Yes. The photo below shows (roughly) my route up. We climbed diagonally up from the right (this is looking at it from an ascent of Stob a' Choin to the south).58e3723d84b36_16.BeinnTulaichean.jpg.63e845066483396b417c5cd3bcd2bd21.jpg

Nice. Looking on the maps that looks the best route for a round trip? Hoping to squeeze a few pints in at Crianlarich before we head back.

Some advice needed - 

Heading out tomorrow to do a couple of Munros on east side of Glenshee. I've been that way before to do the Cairnwell trio but have no idea which way I drove. Basically, coming from Glasgow, which is the least troublesome way to get onto the A93?

I've looked at Google maps and am not convinced of their route, and I don't do TomTom or anything like that.

11 hours ago, AyrshireTon said:

Some advice needed - 

Heading out tomorrow to do a couple of Munros on east side of Glenshee. I've been that way before to do the Cairnwell trio but have no idea which way I drove. Basically, coming from Glasgow, which is the least troublesome way to get onto the A93?

I've looked at Google maps and am not convinced of their route, and I don't do TomTom or anything like that.

The route it shows is probably the one I would use tbf. The alternative is to come into Perth then follow the signs for Coupar Angus, then Blairgowrie. Perth can be a pain in the arse to drive through from about 8-9am. Which two are you doing?

54 minutes ago, jupe1407 said:

The route it shows is probably the one I would use tbf. The alternative is to come into Perth then follow the signs for Coupar Angus, then Blairgowrie. Perth can be a pain in the arse to drive through from about 8-9am. Which two are you doing?

Glas Maol and Creag Leatach.

I see that I could go onto the M90 and go round Perth then double back onto the A93. Looks the least hassle and I definitely went through Blairgowrie last time.

10 minutes ago, AyrshireTon said:

I see that I could go onto the M90 and go round Perth then double back onto the A93. Looks the least hassle and I definitely went through Blairgowrie last time.

Yeah you could turn off at the Inchture Junction and head to Coupar Angus & Blair via Abernyte. It's a quiet wee road usual.

Creag Leacach is a fine hill, probably the best of the Glenshee Munros. Forecast looks decent tomorrow and Saturday as well

1 hour ago, AyrshireTon said:

God i fucking love road chat !!

Personally I would take Glasgow Rd through Perth and then pick up A93 but if you don't know Perth or doing it at busy times what Google tells you to do or M90 just as easy. (actually if i was making a day of it and enjoying myself I would take the A9 to Pitlochry and then take the Moulin road to Kirkmichael then Blacklunans, briliant moorland road)

Please dont follow the quite preposterous walkhighlands route by dropping from creag leacach to the A93 as you lose about 1000ft. There is a faint footpath that can be followed to countour back round west side of Glas Maol to get back to Meall Odhar.

Well I took the route through Blairgowrie - all fine. Great day on the hills and incredibly I met a guy who works in the same place as me. He told me that there would be a better way back and to follow him. This I did - right into a traffic jam on the A9. He got out and said that there were now roadworks and a crash and to avoid the Perth A9 roundabouts. He led me through a place called Findo Gask which cut out the rest of the queueing. Left at 7am, home by 7pm. Love the hills, though.