Hillwalking Thread

50 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

The next height down are known as Marilyns (after googling Donalds), an English term I believe. There are 1216 of them in Scotland. We should rename them Throbbers.

Are Marilyn's not the ones that you get in housing estates & lumps of rock in the Atlantic, etc? 1200 is a ludicrous number and I guess there are shitloads outside of Scotland too.

The SMC also records "Furths" alongside Munro, Corbett, Graham & Donald completions - I had to google that one...

Are Marilyn's not the ones that you get in housing estates & lumps of rock in the Atlantic, etc? 1200 is a ludicrous number and I guess there are shitloads outside of Scotland too.
The SMC also records "Furths" alongside Munro, Corbett, Graham & Donald completions - I had to google that one...

I'm fairly sure a Marilyn is anything with a prominence of 150m on all sides, so they include all the Corbetts and Grahams but not all the munros.

There are over 1500 in total and compleaters are prob in single figures as they include some of the sea stacks around St Kilda which are verging on impossible due to location, tides, technicality and time of year.

The things in housing estates etc are probably humps or something. There's a list of all hills somewhere with a prominence of 30m [emoji23]

7fb0523ba6acd55d5f1b7488b5b9c207.jpg

Doing Chonzie today, just put my address in to see how long a drive it is, said there is restricted or private roads on the way, presuming this is after Crieff? Seems like a hellova long drive, was expecting it to take not much more than an hour at full pelt...

Glorious forecast meant a Friday off on Flexi and a long-awaited return to the Aonach Eagach. I did the ridge 4 years ago, but in largely pish weather and saw f**k all for most of it. My mate was worried about it so I was happy to take him along. The climb out of Glencoe to Am Bodach varies between pretty steep and fucking-hell-this-is-steep. My pal got to the downclimb off Am Bodach (which looks fucking awful from above) and decided to head back down. Probably not idea to be tackling to AE if you don't feel right about it. I carried on and arranged to meet at the other end. Most of it was pretty straightforward although there were a couple of pinnacles I genuinely couldn't remember from last time, however managed to scramble over them and had a brilliant day. I'd also forgotten how fucking shite the long and tedious descent from Sgor nam Fiannaidh by the "pap" path is. 

36839812321_155e0522d2_z.jpg

36808721432_276c107694_z.jpg

36839780341_e417405100_z.jpg

The only downside was going out on the piss without having time for any decent scran, and waking up with an absolutely atrocious hangover this morning :lol:

4 hours ago, jupe1407 said:

Glorious forecast meant a Friday off on Flexi and a long-awaited return to the Aonach Eagach. I did the ridge 4 years ago, but in largely pish weather and saw f**k all for most of it. My mate was worried about it so I was happy to take him along. The climb out of Glencoe to Am Bodach varies between pretty steep and fucking-hell-this-is-steep. My pal got to the downclimb off Am Bodach (which looks fucking awful from above) and decided to head back down. Probably not idea to be tackling to AE if you don't feel right about it. I carried on and arranged to meet at the other end. Most of it was pretty straightforward although there were a couple of pinnacles I genuinely couldn't remember from last time, however managed to scramble over them and had a brilliant day. I'd also forgotten how fucking shite the long and tedious descent from Sgor nam Fiannaidh by the "pap" path is. 

36839812321_155e0522d2_z.jpg

36808721432_276c107694_z.jpg

36839780341_e417405100_z.jpg

The only downside was going out on the piss without having time for any decent scran, and waking up with an absolutely atrocious hangover this morning :lol:

You're getting very good at this camera malarkey.

1 hour ago, jupe1407 said:

Nice one. One of my walking pals was up there today as well. Back to reality with a diabolical forecast tomorrow though.

Yeah. My bad weather plan is pished tonight and sleep until mid day when weather meant to be less shit and I'll head out to Neist Point.

Bla Bheinn probably my favourite Skye summit as you can see the Cuillin which means it's better than being on Cuilin itself.

I would add photos but you have to reduce them to post them in here and it's a pain in the arse.

Weird journey up. Despite the fact the holidays are over I have never seen the A85/A82 so busy. Crianlarich to Fort William especially was a 2 mile 40 mph convoy with not a single layby onoccupied.

The viewpoint at Glencoe must have had a couple of hundred vehicles in it.

Edited by invergowrie arab

Yeah. My bad weather plan is pished tonight and sleep until mid day when weather meant to be less shit and I'll head out to Neist Point.
Bla Bheinn probably my favourite Skye summit as you can see the Cuillin which means it's better than being on Cuilin itself.
I would add photos but you have to reduce them to post them in here and it's a pain in the arse.
Weird journey up. Despite the fact the holidays are over I have never seen the A85/A82 so busy. Crianlarich to Fort William especially was a 2 mile 40 mph convoy with not a single layby onoccupied.
The viewpoint at Glencoe must have had a couple of hundred vehicles in it.

It was the same yesterday, looked like total chaos in there. It's definitely busier than it was when I started visiting Glencoe 4 years ago

22 hours ago, Adam said:

7fb0523ba6acd55d5f1b7488b5b9c207.jpg

Doing Chonzie today, just put my address in to see how long a drive it is, said there is restricted or private roads on the way, presuming this is after Crieff? Seems like a hellova long drive, was expecting it to take not much more than an hour at full pelt...

Its not to bad i done Ben Chonzie last time i was home, lot of single track roads but scenery is stunning, track wise, parking isnt too bad either i always check for best place to park on walkhighlands website.

• 2 weeks later...

Risked a fairly shady West Highlands forecast to finally get the Grey Corries done, and also bag my 200th munro (on the third one, Sgurr Choinnich Mor). Annoyingly MWIS were entirely correct with the boggy clusterfuck of an initial ascent and the ridgewalk beset by rain and wind. No views from the tops at all. We did these as a linear route, starting from the usual spor at Corriechoille and getting picked up at Polldubh Falls in Glen Nevis. This meant an extra 3 miles of roadwalking due to the bus not being able to get up to the two usual car parks. The descent from Sgurr Choinnich Mor into Glen Nevis and as far as the path in Steall Meadows is fucking shite, an unending bogfest mixed with utterly shite terrain. Probably my most hated descent/walkout yet, and I've had some bad ones. 

37106301372_b97d528b17_z.jpg

Sgurr Choinnich Mor (No 200)

36441029894_ff6aebc4fa_z.jpg

Blue skies predictably appearing once down from the ridge

200 was my target for the year so I'm pleased to have got that so early. I've got a fortnight off from next week, first week Lochinver, then onto Kinlochewe for a second week. Canny wait. 

You enjoyed yourself and that's the main thing :lol:

Find these days the injuries come more often and last longer. Bit of Achilles trouble last few weeks so close to home for me taking a line across the Glen Isla hills which looked good on the map but like so much of that area is deer fences and thigh high heater.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Managed to get in three decent walks during a fortnight's holiday in Assynt and then Torridon. The weather the second week was absolutely atrocious, but I got a couple of excellent days on Quinag and the Ben More Coigach/Sgurr an Fhidhleir pair. The latter is a magnificent walk, only about 7 miles with less total ascent than most munros (both hills are Grahams), but the views throughout are just ridiculous, plus there's some fun scrambling to be had on the Coigach ridge. Quinag is a triple Corbett, and a great route in itself. If you can be arsed getting up to the far north, give it a go. Absolute scenes all over the place. 

Ben More Coigach & Sgurr an Fhidhleir

37309190830_a3c1644e53_c.jpg

36898143143_cb759867f6_c.jpg

37519626246_071ca8eeec_c.jpg

37309176990_329ce58cca_c.jpg

Quinag

37309155180_df14dedf26_c.jpg

37567764571_3943f77698_c.jpg

Torridon was a bit shit in terms of weather, nearly six days of gales and rain :lol: Managed a single Graham though.

Beinn a'Chearcaill

37537440412_0f2355423c_c.jpg

8 hours ago, jupe1407 said:

Managed to get in three decent walks during a fortnight's holiday in Assynt and then Torridon. The weather the second week was absolutely atrocious, but I got a couple of excellent days on Quinag and the Ben More Coigach/Sgurr an Fhidhleir pair. The latter is a magnificent walk, only about 7 miles with less total ascent than most munros (both hills are Grahams), but the views throughout are just ridiculous, plus there's some fun scrambling to be had on the Coigach ridge. Quinag is a triple Corbett, and a great route in itself. If you can be arsed getting up to the far north, give it a go. Absolute scenes all over the place. 

Ben More Coigach & Sgurr an Fhidhleir

37309190830_a3c1644e53_c.jpg

36898143143_cb759867f6_c.jpg

37519626246_071ca8eeec_c.jpg

37309176990_329ce58cca_c.jpg

Quinag

37309155180_df14dedf26_c.jpg

37567764571_3943f77698_c.jpg

Torridon was a bit shit in terms of weather, nearly six days of gales and rain :lol: Managed a single Graham though.

Beinn a'Chearcaill

37537440412_0f2355423c_c.jpg

A couple of my favourites there - the main problem in that part of the country is not getting "good view fatigue" and keeping the camera in the bag.... 

19 hours ago, Swello said:

A couple of my favourites there - the main problem in that part of the country is not getting "good view fatigue" and keeping the camera in the bag.... 

I was quite surprised I was only 5 hours on the Coigach walk. It felt like I'd spent half of it fannying around taking photos :lol:

15 hours ago, Gnash said:

Superb pics as always jupe - and I can't spot a single sign of human existence in any of them. 

Cheers Gnash. There's very little  on Coigach as an area, save for the single track road and a scattering of houses around Achiltibuie. Absolute hooked on the place now, and quite fancying a winter trip.