The Leeds Thread

Guest The Ger

As Garry Monk said after the game on Saturday , we have surpassed expectations this season and this squad of players arent ready for the play offs yet.

If someone had said in August that Leeds would finish 7th I would have said not a hope at best we were looking at the top 10 around 9th or 10th.

To fall out of the play off places right at the end is a bit galling but we have made progress this season, as Monk said the play offs were never on the agenda at the start of the season.

Roll on next season and hopefully we can do what the teams that finished 7th last season and the season before have done and won automatic promotion.

1 hour ago, Glasgow Loon said:

As Garry Monk said after the game on Saturday , we have surpassed expectations this season and this squad of players arent ready for the play offs yet.

If someone had said in August that Leeds would finish 7th I would have said not a hope at best we were looking at the top 10 around 9th or 10th.

To fall out of the play off places right at the end is a bit galling but we have made progress this season, as Monk said the play offs were never on the agenda at the start of the season.

Roll on next season and hopefully we can do what the teams that finished 7th last season and the season before have done and won automatic promotion.

Our squad wasn't ready for the play offs last year and no one expected us to be up there and neither did we but we still got there and didn't bottle it when we did get there so that's a pretty poor excuse from Monk I think . Leeds was 11 points clear at one stage with less than 10 games to go, yeah you could say you had a good season but with having 11 points advantage you really shouldn't be bottling it with that much of a margin in points. 

Our squad wasn't ready for the play offs last year and no one expected us to be up there and neither did we but we still got there and didn't bottle it when we did get there so that's a pretty poor excuse from Monk I think . Leeds was 11 points clear at one stage with less than 10 games to go, yeah you could say you had a good season but with having 11 points advantage you really shouldn't be bottling it with that much of a margin in points. 

Hit a blip at the wrong time, it happens. Now time for the club to show some ambition for next season and get Monk signed up.

Knowing Leeds though that won't happen and we'll end up with fucking Zola as our manager.

GARRY MONK on his contract talks and his thoughts on the Wigan game:-

I had initial talks yesterday with Mr. Radrizzani - more general talks, really, about the season. I have a clear idea of what's needed to make the next step, which is the promotion season - having experienced Leeds United, I know what's needed.

Until I have those discussions, the most important bit is that they understand what I need. They'll have their ideas on top of that and it's to see if those ideas are aligned in that sense.

Chris Wood has brought more aggression, more quality - and that's what we wanted from all the players. They've come very far in a short space of time, and that's the key for this club. It needs to be built upon. They've been fantastic all season long.

Cooper got injured in training - twisted his ankle - so wasn't ready for the game. But I'm hugely disappointed with Charlie. I think he's been terribly-advised all season and has refused to play the game. As a manager, you can't have that. It's a shame, as he's a great lad, a fantastic lad - hopefully, he'll learn from the mistake he's made. But I think, from the outside, he's been badly-advised all season. We've tried to guide him from the inside but it's been very difficult for us as management to get a full Charlie Taylor. The injury was genuine but better advice all season and we would have seen a better Charlie Taylor. It should never have happened but young players, advised in that way, can make the wrong decisions.

To be fair, we started the game really well - the goal was the first attack into our half. We started well. The first half was a bit of a nothing sort of game - a bit of probing from both teams, but nothing much. I thought we might have pushed on from the goal but we actually spoke in pre-season about a target of 75 points. I wanted 77 in the end, but what we set in terms of targets - Elland Road being a fortress, clean sheets - they've pretty much achieved all of them, and we went over them in the hotel this morning. It just shows how hard this team have worked.

I try and give them the right information at half-time - sometimes, there are choice words, but they're an honest bunch. It's disappointing not to make the play offs but the mentality has been excellent. It's been a really good step forward for the club.

On 18/03/2017 at 20:07, JakeSAFC said:

Leeds are going up.

On 18/03/2017 at 21:13, JakeSAFC said:

Beating Huddersfield in the final would be sensational.

On 18/03/2017 at 23:20, JakeSAFC said:

I fancy us as favourites for the play offs.

On 19/03/2017 at 01:35, JakeSAFC said:

We will beat they dog shagging c***s Huddersfield in the play off final and one of the biggest clubs in England will be back where they belong.

Image result for david wagner leeds#

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to start by saying a huge thank you to Garry Monk, his backroom staff and all the players who have represented Leeds United during this season. It is a very special group which has reconnected with the fans and followed Garry into battle every week. We have enjoyed some incredible highs together over the past season, none more so than at Hillsborough in September when we saw the first signs of everything coming together and Brighton & Hove Albion at home when you showed that on your day you can beat anyone in this division.

A special thank you also goes to Adam Underwood and all the staff connected to the Academy.

To Massimo – thank you for the opportunity to work for Leeds United. I feel that once the dust settles the history books will show this season was the start of the club’s journey back to the Premier League. Not only did this season bring together a team of players that the fans could unite behind, but you secured a proper and truly appropriate new custodian of Leeds United in Andrea.

To Andrea – I wish you all the very best for the future. It has been a pleasure to work with you and your team during your investment into the club and in your initial months. I have no doubt that Leeds United has a hugely bright and successful future with you at the helm.

I would like to also praise all of the staff at Elland Road – from the likes of Mandy and Maria in the ticket office to Lewis in accounts, Craig and Jordan in the media team and Hannah as club secretary. Everyone has done a wonderful job during my tenure at the club. This team of people are all led by my senior management team of Paul, Katie, Fay, Mark, Stuart, Mitch, Mike and James – your commitment, dedication and desire for this club and it succeeding is remarkable and unrivalled.

Finally, I would like to say my biggest thank you to the supporters of Leeds United – you have left me in awe at times this season. You have travelled up and down the country in huge numbers and made Elland Road a fortress again. I sincerely believe the foundations have now been laid to allow this club to go back to where you belong and deserve to be, the very top.

All the very best,

Ben Mansford

:thumsup2

He leaves at the end of the month which means that Radrizzani's takeover is going through.