N H L Returns: Official Ice hockey thread

Savage Henry

I'm curious, does the sport get much exposure in places like Alabama and Louisiana? I know it's quite big in Nashville, do the surrounding areas back the Predators a lot? I was also quite disappointed when the Thrashers left purely because I hate seeing teams relocate.

New Orleans had an ECHL team back in the 90's. I was PA announcer for 9 games. Team drew well, and then they got the Hornets NBA team and that hurt attendance. Lafayette's Ice Gators were one of the top attendance teams in the league for a long time, averaged about 9,000 a game.

I'm just outside of Huntsville, Hockey Capital of the South. University of Huntsville has been playing hockey for 30 years or more, We get Preds games on Fox TN. A lot of hockey fans in the area.

Was gutted to see so many games blacked out on Gamecenter Live yesterday (apart from an overloaded system that meant down time). Was not aware that Premier Sports have bought the rights in the UK and parts of Europe as I don't have Sky or similar. So that would be about $15/month to stream some games on PS combined with the $50 for the season on GCL.

For anyone in the same boat I read that a free VPN connection is the way to go. http://www.securitykiss.com/

Install that, run it, go to option/change server. I picked the one at the top (Germany). Go to GCL to watch live game then disconnect VPN. Worked fine.

I don't think the Devil's games are too badly affected early on but handy to know I can still watch them.

Sabres just made it 2-2 v Flyers.

I'm curious, does the sport get much exposure in places like Alabama and Louisiana? I know it's quite big in Nashville, do the surrounding areas back the Predators a lot? I was also quite disappointed when the Thrashers left purely because I hate seeing teams relocate.

I have to agree I dont like teams relocate either but at the same time was happy to see the return of the Winnipeg Jets as a result of it. Hopefully the Quebec Nordiques can return to the league sometime as I think Quebec City need a NHL team.

Watching Nashville vs St. Louis right now, currently 3-2 Nashville. Halak hasn't had the best night for the Blues and has been pulled midway through the second. St. Louis look the more skilled team if I'm honest but there's also been a couple of dodgy calls from the refs.

• 2 weeks later...

Sharks are 7-0-0. Which is pleasing. But we've all seen this story before with that team. Maybe the shortened season will help them, but I full expect them to do what they do every year and bottle it when they get to the play-offs.

Sharks are 7-0-0. Which is pleasing. But we've all seen this story before with that team. Maybe the shortened season will help them, but I full expect them to do what they do every year and bottle it when they get to the play-offs.

Performance has dipped in the last couple of games, although obviously it's nice to still grind out the wins despite that. The penalty kill is good at the moment though, which makes a change.

As a Blackhawks fan I was sad we lost to the Canucks last night, but luongo was unbelievable!

Gillis was in Washington taking in the Pens game with his assistant GM. Looks like the Luongo trade might actually happen soon. Or it's another smokescreen trying to make Toronto and Florida up their bids if they think he's about to make a trade.

I'll really miss him if he goes. His bi-polar behavior sums up our city pretty well.

and after the Flames terrible start to the season, they've recorded a 2nd victory in a row on the road, beating Blue Jackets 4-3 in OT

managed to get to Oilers v Flames last week, and hope to attend a few more games in the coming months

still don't understand the rules fully, but i'm getting there :)

Was gutted to see so many games blacked out on Gamecenter Live yesterday (apart from an overloaded system that meant down time). Was not aware that Premier Sports have bought the rights in the UK and parts of Europe as I don't have Sky or similar. So that would be about $15/month to stream some games on PS combined with the $50 for the season on GCL.

For anyone in the same boat I read that a free VPN connection is the way to go. http://www.securitykiss.com/

Install that, run it, go to option/change server. I picked the one at the top (Germany). Go to GCL to watch live game then disconnect VPN. Worked fine.

I don't think the Devil's games are too badly affected early on but handy to know I can still watch them.

Sabres just made it 2-2 v Flyers

Sabres just made it 2-2 v Flyers.

If I'm using the iPad or PS3 app is it just a case of following the same steps on my laptop/PC then connecting on the device and then disconnecting the VPN? Staying up tonight for my first full game of the season, feeling confident of a Nucks win...

Watched a couple of games last night. Devils saw off the Pens who had only themselves to blame. Had too many players in the box & the Devils took advantage with a couple of PPG. Return leg of the home & home tonight in Pittsburgh.

Then stayed up & took in the Leafs 6-0 destruction of Montreal. One up within a minute, then two up within 7 minutes, the Habs had no way back. Really impressed with Van Riemsdyk, the trade from Philly might turn out to be the Leafs best bit of business for a long time.

Well having been the team who went longest without a loss at the start, the Sharks have lost all 7 in February and still have a few away games left before they get back to home ice. That said, this is my first season really following the NHL closely and I've still enjoyed it so far.

A question though, what is it players always get sent out of the face-off circle for (and replaced by someone else on their team) - going for the puck before it's been dropped? Never really been sure on the exact rules around the faceofff.

A question though, what is it players always get sent out of the face-off circle for (and replaced by someone else on their team) - going for the puck before it's been dropped? Never really been sure on the exact rules around the faceofff.

Either moving for the puck early or antagonizes the other player. Away team player has to place their stick blade on the ice first, home player follows. Then the puck is dropped. Usually you'll get a warning if you jump it, but I could swear that refs have been much stricter recently and will toss players on the first infraction.

The most obnoxiously broken rule when it comes to faceoffs is that wingers are supposed to stay 15 feet from the puck, which is the radius of the faceoff circles in the attacking zones. I don't that EVER happens...

Edited by kyle*