N H L Returns: Official Ice hockey thread

Savage Henry

Well I am offended that you didn't assume I am swimming in pools of cash.

Looks like they'll be playing Montreal. Remember to shout "f**k the Habs" loudly throughout. Hope NYR sweep the French bitches 4-0.

1 minute ago, BallochSonsFan said:

Darren McCarty's book is a great read and his memories of that rivalry, ultimately ending in the brawl where he jumps Lemieux, are brutally honest.

I don't think I've ever hated a sportsperson as much as Darren McCarty. I actually bought Blood Feud the other day which tells the same story from a much more sympathetic perspective ;)

I've watched very little NHL this season.

I know that it's full of great athletes these days but I just don't find myself enjoying it as much as I enjoyed the late 90s/early 00s. I havent really made much of an effort with the show this season. I've watched far more DEL games (as well as going to 2 DEL games in January).

I'm nominally an Avs fan (going back to the days of Sakic, Forsberg and Roy) and a Habs fan (purely to annoy the f**k out my 2 Leafs supporting friends I go to Clan games with). Colorado are pish and in serious need of a full rebuild. Montreal are too reliant on Price right now and could do with some depth. I'll maybe make more of an effort next season, but it'll be competing again with the DEL. I'll be buying the DEL game centre package for 100 euro and hopefully going back to Mannheim for some more games at the SAP.

As strange as it sounds given how much I've enjoyed watching Mannheim this season, I kind of miss the late 90s NHL when I feel they had the blend of athleticism, toughness and skill just right.

5 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

I don't think I've ever hated a sportsperson as much as Darren McCarty. I actually bought Blood Feud the other day which tells the same story from a much more sympathetic perspective ;)

McCarty doesnt pull any punches in his book. Very honest about his problems. I know he had to pick his time to have a go at Lemieux but it was such a cheap shot when he did it. No excuses for it.

Theo Fleury's book is great if you read hockey biographies. As is Jeremy Roenick's book. The Gordie Howe one is good, as is Bobby Orr's book. I'd also suggest getting Eddie Shore and that Old Time Hockey and The Rebel League.

Going to my first ever Flames game next Sunday against the Ducks. Got cheap tickets up in the nosebleeds so I dunno how good a view it'll be. Never been to an NHL game before but I've been really getting into the hockey since I moved to Canada last May. Only stepped inside the Fife Ice Arena once during my whole time in Kirkcaldy! I finally picked the Flames as my team when we settled in Calgary. Still very much a novice fan and I've enjoyed reading up the last few pages here. I'll be sure to pop by with any questions. 

On ‎27‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 18:42, BallochSonsFan said:

I've watched very little NHL this season.

I know that it's full of great athletes these days but I just don't find myself enjoying it as much as I enjoyed the late 90s/early 00s. I havent really made much of an effort with the show this season. I've watched far more DEL games (as well as going to 2 DEL games in January).

I'm nominally an Avs fan (going back to the days of Sakic, Forsberg and Roy) and a Habs fan (purely to annoy the f**k out my 2 Leafs supporting friends I go to Clan games with). Colorado are pish and in serious need of a full rebuild. Montreal are too reliant on Price right now and could do with some depth. I'll maybe make more of an effort next season, but it'll be competing again with the DEL. I'll be buying the DEL game centre package for 100 euro and hopefully going back to Mannheim for some more games at the SAP.

As strange as it sounds given how much I've enjoyed watching Mannheim this season, I kind of miss the late 90s NHL when I feel they had the blend of athleticism, toughness and skill just right.

I've watched every Avalanche game this year. Passenger.

On ‎27‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 18:46, BallochSonsFan said:

McCarty doesnt pull any punches in his book. Very honest about his problems. I know he had to pick his time to have a go at Lemieux but it was such a cheap shot when he did it. No excuses for it.

Theo Fleury's book is great if you read hockey biographies. As is Jeremy Roenick's book. The Gordie Howe one is good, as is Bobby Orr's book. I'd also suggest getting Eddie Shore and that Old Time Hockey and The Rebel League.

I've heard bad things about Orr's (that's the recent one, right?), good about Fleury and the WHA one. I have Phil Esposito's coming from some poor sod in Detroit who's surely making a massive loss on the £2.80 I spent on postage.

On 21/03/2017 at 07:58, tigerton said:

Looks like they'll be playing Montreal. Remember to shout "f**k the Habs" loudly throughout. Hope NYR sweep the French bitches 4-0.

Tickets currently at $200 a pop minimum. Certainly don't think that's what was paid last time, but as the Islanders and Devils won't be making it I may have to dig extremely deep.

Edited by Honest_Man#1

• 2 weeks later...

Playoffs start this week.  I hope my Canadiens can win a round or two.  Here are my (totally unbiased, honsest!) predictions for round 1

Washington in 6
Montreal in 6
Ottawa in 7
Columbus in 7

Chicago in 6
St. Louis in 7
Edmonton in 5
Anaheim in 6

Apart from Montreal, I'm really liking Edmonton.  They are a really exciting young team.

1 hour ago, Torpar said:

Leafs playoff tickets went on presale to people who are signed up to Leafs Nation, tried as soon as it hit 1pm, sold out already, $365 the cheapest resale ticket I've seen so far. Ah well, lets go Marlies!

One of the reasons why I haven't paid to see an NHL game in a while, and I live in Ottawa where the tickets are a heck of a lot easier to get.  

Just now, BallochSonsFan said:

You'd be better following the 67s

I actually prefer the Gatineau Olympiques.  The arena is smaller and has a better atmosphere, plus it's close to my favorite Brew Pub in the National Capital Region