Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

3 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

The inability of English people to pronounce "insurance* - it's "insurance" not "inshorrance". Grrrr!

Was down at Silverstone last summer and went to buy a bacon roll for my breakfast one morning, and the lassie serving me pronounced the word roll as “row-ull” (the first part row, as in “row your boat”)

:huh: 

3 hours ago, whiskychimp said:

Ski jumping being judged on style rather than just furthest wins. Its not really a subjective sport. 

There's a pretty persuasive school of thought that any sport that relies on subjective opinion shouldn't be a sport at all.

3 hours ago, whiskychimp said:

Its definitely something to think about. Not the quickest round the marathon but the most stylish. So the north African that is quickest might lose out to someone wearing a Postman Pat costume.

Admittedly I would watch the shit out of this.

36 minutes ago, Brother Blades said:

Indeed, he was a good guy. Really liked him & often got sent to the burger van to get his breakfast- breakfast doubler roll & a single sausage, egg & cheese roll. He loved his figure.

All of the vans in Altens were/are utter shite. The correct breakfast establishemnt was the wee greasy spoon round the back of the college

On 09/02/2018 at 22:46, Moomintroll said:
On 09/02/2018 at 19:34, WeWereThePeople said:
I should've been clearer but I wasn't expecting a cross-examination. I bought them yesterday, the 8th. I realised an hour ago they were dated the 9th, today. Hence the midnight deadline. Shops selling food that goes out of date in 6 hours are effectively selling out of date food. It's a scurrilous practice. All my other items are dated until the middle of next week so can be eaten at my leisure. Not under this intense pressure.

They really aren't. There is a massive difference between best before dates and use by dates. People need to learn that there are no food safety issues there.

People don't need to learn anything. Shops need to start selling fresh food with reasonable dates on them. It's a pain in the arse having to constantly check dates on everything you pick up. In what world is a loaf thats dated for 5 days worth the same price as one that goes bad in 6 hours? Normally I'm on the ball with regard to dates, but what about people with poor sight, or learning difficulties, or old people?

The only thing that people need to learn, is that multi national companies are absolute scum that will do anything for profit. The selling  of poorly dated food for full price is a deliberate immoral act. Each time I have to reach through 20 loaves just to get one that doesnt expire before I get it home, I get closer and closer to entering full "Falling Down" mode.

Edited by WeWereThePeople

On the out of date stuff. I was at the local bus station today and was a little peckish while waiting on picking someone up. Walked over to the house/shop and bought a bag of crisps "sweet & sour with onion" the bag had a strange design, which I passed as being a new thing. First crisp was a little chewy, so looked at the date 15/04/15. Tried again, in fact I finished half the bag before giving up.
Will I die?

A bit of a crossover from the "Annoying things people post on Facebook" but I see this on other Social Media too. And it's less of a "Petty Thing That Gets on Your Nerves" and more of a "Things That Crush Your Soul."

It's the realisation that I'm now of an age where my contemporaries are obsessed with bragging about how much better things were when we were kids because "We played outside, we ate fish and chips, not MacDonalds, we didn't have smartphones...etc. etc." When I was a kid, our parents never stopped telling us how they didn't have the things we had, they were working down t' pit at our age and on and on and on. It was tedious then and it's tedious now.

Look, the world has moved on since you were a kid. That doesn't in itself make you morally superior to people born later. In many ways life is better than it was 50 years ago, other ways perhaps not. 50 years from now it will have changed again but that won't make today's children any kind of hot shit although I fear they'll also be bragging about their childhood as if it did.

You're old. You aren't special. Get the f**k over it.

On the out of date stuff. I was at the local bus station today and was a little peckish while waiting on picking someone up. Walked over to the house/shop and bought a bag of crisps "sweet & sour with onion" the bag had a strange design, which I passed as being a new thing. First crisp was a little chewy, so looked at the date 15/04/15. Tried again, in fact I finished half the bag before giving up.
Will I die?

Hopefully.

Maybe this is better suited to the Pish Adverts thread but it's not about one in particular. It's any advert that uses the word 'selected', as in (to choose one at random) Tesco's special offers that are "available in selected stores". Makes me wonder who selects them and what their criteria are. 

"Holyrood Road?"
"Yes, that's just round the corner from the Parliament. The MSPs will think those are the prices everywhere."
"Earl Grey Street?"
<tosses coin> "Yeah, all right."
"Nicolson Street?"
"Nah, that's down the road from the University. All the students will go there - f**k 'em."