Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

45 minutes ago, whiskychimp said:

Courgette trying to pass itself off as spaghetti and cauliflower trying to pass itself off as pizza

I get why people eat those things (although I think their reasoning is stupid) but I just don't get why they pretend?

If you want to have shredded courgette just say you are having bolognese with shredded courgette, don't pretend its spaghetti because anyone knows it clearly isn't the same thing at all.

I'd go with that. Only remember those from WW2, Its the only war where we really had no choice. 

Indeed. Those that died in the two world wars and even in Aden,Malaysia, and the like had little choice in the matter. Since 1960(?) All services have been manned by volunteers. Totally different.

1 hour ago, Jambomo said:

I get why people eat those things (although I think their reasoning is stupid) but I just don't get why they pretend?

If you want to have shredded courgette just say you are having bolognese with shredded courgette, don't pretend its spaghetti because anyone knows it clearly isn't the same thing at all.

Probably easier to get kids to eat it if you kid on it's something they don't hate.

Probably easier to get kids to eat it if you kid on it's something they don't hate.

If they eat it, ergo they don't hate it?
Therefore, tell them it's shredded courgette and make them sit at the table (overnight if necessary) until their plate is clean.
Anyway, I'm off for some deconstructed burgers & fluffy clouds.

3 hours ago, whiskychimp said:

Courgette trying to pass itself off as spaghetti and cauliflower trying to pass itself off as pizza

This completely threw me because we'd been talking about the wars, and I thought this was whiskychimp's memories of replacement foodstuffs they used to have in WW2. I've never heard of either of those things, thankfully.

3 hours ago, whiskychimp said:

I'd go with that. Only remember those from WW2, Its the only war where we really had no choice. 

My Grandfather and hundreds of thousands more (on both sides) had no choice in WW1 but to sign up for the Great Slaughter...

52 minutes ago, GordonD said:

This completely threw me because we'd been talking about the wars, and I thought this was whiskychimp's memories of replacement foodstuffs they used to have in WW2. I've never heard of either of those things, thankfully.

I reckon the soldiers in the trenches would have passed on cauliflower pizza

8 minutes ago, Angusfifer said:

My Grandfather and hundreds of thousands more (on both sides) had no choice in WW1 but to sign up for the Great Slaughter...

Fair enough.. Maybe I took that too extremes. I have no interest in remembering people who took a wage to go and fight a war in Afghanistan etc. That's what I was mostly getting at. 

At a time when there are people actively trying to break up European cooperation with right wing populism, I think it's worth reminding people of the horrors of the past every so often.

I went to Lush to buy a gift for a friend earlier.  One of their windows is dedicated to opposing the possible repeal of the fox hunting act(s) and included the execrable and antithetical, "foxit means foxit".  Someone in their marketing team needs a swift boot in the pie.

I went to Body Shop instead.

Edited by The_Kincardine

Tesco the money grabbing b*****ds attempting to phase out 5p bags.

When I go to Tesco I have no issue paying for the 5p bags as I know the money is going to charity but I hazard a guess that it's not the case with the 10p bags for life.

1 hour ago, Stellaboz said:

So take some with you.

Very easy thing to forget.

I did a wee shop at Scotmid today and i forgot my student card so never got a 10% discount, was devastating when i realised it wasn't in my wallet.