Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

Just reading through Facebook earlier.

A friend had placed a message on her wall expressing pride in her daughter's recent academic achievements. There were various comments posted below. Congratulations from friends and whatnot. Also among them were remarks along the lines of 'Well she won't be working at such and such a place, will she!?'; 'She won't have to do such and such a qualification!'.

Obviously attempts at humour, I imagine playing on the premise that people whom work in whatever place it was or do whatever qualification it was are of a lesser intelligence or have an inferior will to work.

I must say I was incensed. It may well all have been meant facetiously but for the persons in question to assume that someone's scholastic aptitude or credentials gained therefrom should dictate their ambition, earnings or indeed quality of life (the statements seemed to carry that inference) fucking enrages me.

I hate that attitude, I fucking hate it. And it is fucking rife too. All the more infuriating.

Maybe it's just me but I find there's something utterly loathsome about academia, 'student-ness' and all the associated pomp, pride and pretence.

sleep.gif zzzzzzzz

Just reading through Facebook earlier.

A friend had placed a message on her wall expressing pride in her daughter's recent academic achievements. There were various comments posted below. Congratulations from friends and whatnot. Also among them were remarks along the lines of 'Well she won't be working at such and such a place, will she!?'; 'She won't have to do such and such a qualification!'.

Obviously attempts at humour, I imagine playing on the premise that people whom work in whatever place it was or do whatever qualification it was are of a lesser intelligence or have an inferior will to work.

I must say I was incensed. It may well all have been meant facetiously but for the persons in question to assume that someone's scholastic aptitude or credentials gained therefrom should dictate their ambition, earnings or indeed quality of life (the statements seemed to carry that inference) fucking enrages me.

I hate that attitude, I fucking hate it. And it is fucking rife too. All the more infuriating.

Maybe it's just me but I find there's something utterly loathsome about academia, 'student-ness' and all the associated pomp, pride and pretence.

you know aside from loving academia and learning. I agree that its irritating for people to praise it by condemning another strata of society because as you say, you never know when you'll end up in that strata.

though your comment does go on to have tones of what I believe swampy coined anti-intellectualism in another thread which sadly for the intellectual among us is pervading society.

but again agree re the boasting by putting other strata down.

I've never known trying to offload an Xbox with games and accessories to be so difficult. Got offered £75 at Gamestation and frankly laughed in their face, nearly as low as keithgy's offer! ;)

What games and accessories do you have? What condition and how old is the Xbox?

My girlfriend crashed her car just outside Campbeltown tonight. Fucking shat it...

Thought I might need to miss the football tomorrow!

Na, in all seriousness i don't think I've ever been so worried in my life. Thankfully she's just got a cut on her head, which needed some stiches, plus a few bruises. A lucky escape given it rolled over 3 times! Shes only been on the road three weeks too, and she's a cracking wee driver. Just went round a bend which was sharper than she thought, a road that was quite slippy from all the rain, the car slid when she hit the brake to slow down a bit and then just came off the ground, rolled a few times then landed back up straight. Cars a write off, but at least she's alright.

You don't do her anyfavours by calling her a cracking driver. If she is only three weeks through her test she should be cornering at slow speeds until she developes an eye for dangers. I think you should fund her through pass plus.

As other posters have said its only a car, so no great loss.

you know aside from loving academia and learning. I agree that its irritating for people to praise it by condemning another strata of society because as you say, you never know when you'll end up in that strata.

though your comment does go on to have tones of what I believe swampy coined anti-intellectualism in another thread which sadly for the intellectual among us is pervading society.

but again agree re the boasting by putting other strata down.

I think you've picked me up wrong, theentomologist. Choice was the thing I had intended to get at. One chooses to live their life how they live it. It would be quite possibly for a hyper-intelligent person to opt for a life of only adequacy; working in an 'unskilled' capacity, not earning a luxurious wage. For example.

We're not predestined. We don't have to play to our strengths. You can be apt and apathetic. Good (or potentially good) at something but disinterested in whatever it is for a variety of reasons.

I can tell you that I don't subscribe to anti-intellectualism. In fact I've a lot of respect held out for those who seek to discover.

What games and accessories do you have? What condition and how old is the Xbox?

See the 'Sell your old shite' thread. I just gave up due to timewasters and traded it in for the £75.

Setting the alarm for 05:20 for the first time in a week, damn work and damn holidays for letting me rest and enjoy myself.

Im on holiday in a weeks time ... i leave my alarm on at my work time(i never need it) but is is great to kill it and turn over.