Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

When I empty the Spam or Trash folders in my email it automatically plays an Editor's Pick video. I wouldn't mind if this was something light and heartwarming like some puppies or lovely scenery but I've just been subjected to the father of Alfie Evans talking to reporters (silently because by default the clip is muted). In the past the Pick has been things like footage of drone strikes in Syria or other things guaranteed not to brighten your day. Is the Editor some sort of sicko?

10 minutes ago, IainMorton said:

People that use an unnecessary ‘s when describing something that belongs to someone and their name ends with the letter ‘S’. For example “I can’t find James’s iPad”. Even worse when its spoken.

Possessives
An apostrophe is used in a possessive form, like Esther's family or Janet's cigarettes, and this is the use of the apostrophe which causes most of the trouble. The basic rule is simple enough: a possessive form is spelled with 's at the end. Hence:

Lisa's essay
England's navy
my brother's girlfriend
Wittgenstein's last book
children's shoes
women's clothing
the aircraft's black box
somebody's umbrella
a week's work
my money's worth
This rule applies in most cases even with a name ending in s:

Thomas's job
the bus's arrival
James's fiancée
Steve Davis's victory

http://www.sussex.ac.uk/informatics/punctuation/apostrophe/possessives

A guy in my office has acquired the nickname "Two Cups" because any time he goes and gets a coffee he gets a cup of cold water at the same time. I always thought he just got the water for when his coffee was done but today I watched him sit at his desk, take a sip of his coffee then pour cold water into it to top it up. He repeated this for about 10 minutes until both cups were done. I know this shouldn't annoy me, but it has. Is this regular behaviour?

A guy in my office has acquired the nickname "Two Cups" because any time he goes and gets a coffee he gets a cup of cold water at the same time. I always thought he just got the water for when his coffee was done but today I watched him sit at his desk, take a sip of his coffee then pour cold water into it to top it up. He repeated this for about 10 minutes until both cups were done. I know this shouldn't annoy me, but it has. Is this regular behaviour?

I don't take milk in my coffee and generally add a small amount of cold water so I don't need to wait too long on it being a suitable drinking temperature.

Sitting adding cold water over a 10 minute period is odd behaviour. By the end of the cup of water his coffee must be diluted to f**k.

5 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I suppose he could argue it's the same as the glass of water you often get with your coffee on the continent, but mixing them definitely makes him oftw.

1 minute ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I don't take milk in my coffee and generally add a small amount of cold water so I don't need to wait too long on it being a suitable drinking temperature.

Sitting adding cold water over a 10 minute period is odd behaviour. By the end of the cup of water his coffee must be diluted to f**k.

That first part is fair enough, aye. I'd probably just wait 5 minutes but understand some aren't as patient. 

They are very small cups too, the tiny ones you get from coffee machines. I just can't understand why cold/heavily watered down coffee would be preferable to a fresh warm cup.

I don't take any milk in my coffee and if it's instant I will put a drop of water in first so as not to burn the granules . I will quite happily continue to drink my coffee after it has went stone cold however actually topping it up with cold water is definitely behaviour of a deviant.

2 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Just the two notifications from Sky News about this. Appreciate it, lads.

Hate notification spam about royals.

Just waiting for the one when they're deid.

Hate notification spam about royals.
Just waiting for the one when they're deid.

When the queen falls off the perch, it will probably be worse than the diana fallout. Especially now with 24 hour rolling news coverage with airtime to fill. Hope it happens in june/july of a non world cup year. That way no football gets cancelled.

When the queen falls off the perch, it will probably be worse than the diana fallout. Especially now with 24 hour rolling news coverage with airtime to fill. Hope it happens in june/july of a non world cup year. That way no football gets cancelled.

A day off would do me fine. Maybe another day off for the funeral.
I hadn’t even considered they’d cancel the football, that would be utterly shite. Maybe it’s best she lives forever to avoid such an event.

I hadn’t even considered they’d cancel the football, that would be utterly shite. Maybe it’s best she lives forever to avoid such an event.

I just mind the football being cancelled when diana died. As a teenager with no care for the royal family, i was quite annoyed about the rolling news coverage instead of getting to watch the football.

2 minutes ago, NJ2 said:

They should keep her going on a ventilator till August when there's only friendlies on and switch her off.

2 minutes ago, buchan30 said:

I just mind the football being cancelled when diana died. As a teenager with no care for the royal family, i was quite annoyed about the rolling news coverage instead of getting to watch the football.

Regardless of the stated policy of the SNP, when we get Independence the royal family will get binned.

It will be a magnificent day.

I was just a wean. I can imagine I was fairly peeved.
They should keep her going on a ventilator till August when there's only friendlies on and switch her off.

Excuse me, that’s serious league cup time...

43 minutes ago, NJ2 said:

I was just a wean. I can imagine I was fairly peeved.

Excuse me, that’s serious league cup time...

Sorry again, I was thinking of my big team with its global commercial commitments.